Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines

Reviews

gallandro_83 posted a comment on Monday 29th October 2007 11:57am

This was a great chapter but I am a little disappointed that so little happened. I really enjoy this story more for the way you bring in the whole of the WIzarding world and while the interaction between Harry and his love interest was interesting the parts that bring me back to your story is the political aspects you bring in. I am really looking forward to the next chapter and hope that we see more of the wizenmont and maybe mrs smith as well.

gallandro

oldman posted a comment on Monday 29th October 2007 10:38am

You seem to be putting out signals that the romance will be pretty well on hold until much later. I hope not. How about the FileitFindit range of products?

Jim_xinu posted a comment on Monday 29th October 2007 6:23am

Good chapter, thanks for sharing it with us.

roastpuff posted a comment on Monday 29th October 2007 5:58am

Hmmm.

One - StudyBook Pro/ProBook. :D I cribbed that from Apple... ;) If the MacBook Pro is good enough for them, I think the StudyBook Pro would work too. Market it as something newfangled that those Americans across the ocean came up with.

Two - CJ Penny's? Just kidding... :P How about just... Jordan's of Diagon Alley? It's classy and simple.

Good chapter overall.

Wonderbee31 posted a comment on Monday 29th October 2007 5:04am

Nice section with Harry and Ginny here, and will be looking forward to what happens nesxt with them, as well as with Harry and Co. later on down the line when things start to heat up more.

Tanydwr posted a comment on Monday 29th October 2007 2:33am

Wonderful as usual.

What about 'Research Repository' for the research ones? 'Potions Planner'? 'Actual Accounts'? 'Little Book of Law Notes'? Actually, on the law theme: 'Case Files 101'? I can imagine solicitors needing more than one, especially for big accounts - like the Potter ones! 'Confidential Client Cases', perhaps?

As for Clarinda's shop... Jordan's? Goes with the wizarding habit of naming shops after the owners. Or something more fanciful - 'A New You' or 'Modern Magical Modiste' (ask your wife what a modiste is - we JA fans know all about them!).

I did have a vision of the front of Witch Weekly or something for a headline - shot of Clarinda with the words Clarinda Jordan - Is this the new face of magical fashion? A little unoriginal, perhaps, but then this *is* the wizarding world.

Keep up the good work.

Lol, Tanydwr

Crys posted a comment on Monday 29th October 2007 1:57am

> I used the Linking spell that points a reader to a place on another scroll
Snerk! magic.wikipedia.com . . . . [read further] *laugh* Okay, your a/n clearly spelled that out :)

StudyBook -> ProNotes, Power Notes, Note Book, NotesLink. PotionNotes, Potions Link Book. And so on for different professions.

And why make different versions for different professions? Hmm. Maybe have some pre-filled "skeletal" links in place. Or the "default" page (blank, lined, grid). Other than that, basically the same darn thing.

Clarinda's shop: Jordan's Fashions, Clarinda's Clothing, Clarinda's New Fashions, Break the Mould, Out of the Box, More Than Just Robes.

These chapters did take a lot of time, but that's understandable. There is nothing in common between these two chapters, so you had to write two chapters to get to this point. At any rate, thank you for the story. Looking forward to more.

siaru posted a comment on Monday 29th October 2007 1:31am

Clarinda's shop: as mentioned on portkey, my suggestion is "Jordan's Fashion Crossing".

The study book: Modeling it as a wiki is good, but wiki developers are just now coming to grips with the fact that wiki linking is associative, not hierarchical; we humans seem to need to use both ordering methods. (I think that's pretty much how our minds work anyway, with hierarchic ordering imposing top-down structure on associative thought and memory.) They're just starting to add indexing now. I think it's going to take them awhile to realize that multiple users, and even just multiple topics of thought, require multiple hierarchic indices, and multiple orderings for the same set of entries, so the software (and the spells) will require that capability. You can get a head start on this by adding multiple outliner pages to the design of the Book. The index entries are either wand-pulled from the wikipages, or handwritten; either way, once linked, they stay page-number-current as pages are added or removed.

For any offical Ministry purposes, the Book will need a way to store (indelibly) and show revision history. Come to think of it, that matters for developers' lab notebooks, too, for proving IP ownership.

My contribution to the naming effort is pretty mundane, but perhaps that will be what the market wants: WorksBook. With multiple indexing, the plural is appropriate. Additional Mongering can provide intervolume hyperlinking, getting beyond the pages-per-volume limit, for sequential volumes or topic separation.

Milarqui posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 9:28pm

Help Me One - The StudyBook
For Solicitors, it could be something like Trial Keeper. Ministry Officials may like Officer's Workings. A Potions Master could use a Potions Journal, a businessman may prefer a Working Diary and researchers could like a DataBase.
Help Me Two - Clarinda's Shop
I think that Jordan's Fashion Emporium could be a good flash.
The Review
I think it is a very good chapter, but I think that for all the time that has passed since the previous update, you could have had a bigger chapter.

Ishi posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 8:30pm

You could call the commercial version a PocketBook 'Twice as convenient as even the most compact scroll, because it fits in your pocket, too!'

As for Clarinda Jordan's shop...River Jordan? Good fashion just flows out the door. Lol, sorry, I'm terrible at naming things.

Good luck, love the chapter!

Lincoln posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 8:17pm

Hello, have been looking forward to a chapter from the St. Vines' to keep up some fresh reading! Great to see you've not fallen off the planet.
Just off the top of my head, I have an idea on the clothes shop..
Jordan Airs - as in, those one puts on.

Can't wait for the next instalment! - from either of you!

Lincoln

Quill posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 6:57pm

I know this going to sound dumb, but with the way you named the first one StudyBook, why not go with the flow and call them PotionBook, ResearchBook, BusinessBook and perhaps LawBook for either the solicitors or ministry officials.
See I said it was dumb...

Hmmm the dress shop - perhaps with the names meaning joined -- "Crystalline Rill Emporium"
I found this on a name page on the 'net...
The meaning of the name Clarinda is Beautiful, Clear
The meaning of the name Jordan is To Flow Down


Mikkun posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 6:55pm

hmn, I think Harry's still hesitant about forming a relationship with Ginny, but in this chapter, he seemed to be testing the waters and figuring out what to do if he wants to have a serious relationship with her, this business proposal/startup is one of them, this also serves a double purpose of seeing how far can he take their relationship before deciding whether he wants a romantic relationship with ginny or not.

For clarinda's shop name, I'm suggesting J-P|X or Jordan-Potter Exchange, if you've heard about Armani Exchange you can see the reference to it[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armani_Exchange]. I think it'll be a good name, the second is just a simple name, Clarinda's New Era Fashions, or you can change it to Jordan and Potter's New Era Fashions

For the Professional version of the StudyBook, why not give it a universal name, Ginny[Ginevra ]Weasley's Professional and Technical Notepad?

kutekess posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 6:45pm

I love your story - that last line was really funny! But when Harry read the OWL results, Marchbank commented he had 3 poors - which he didn't. His results gave him 1 poor. Is that a typo?

Infin1x posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 6:41pm

All around I enjoyed it even if Harry's little pep talk to Ginny felt a bit cheesy. The StudyBook is a great idea on the level of the portable floo that Rorscharch's Blot came up with and quite a few people use now. For other names; unless you are really set on a different name for each user even though there doesn't seem to be any difference in the actual book something generic and simple is probably best; AnyBook, EveryBook or just plain NoteBook.

Also I have a question on your numbers Ginny bought the books for 6pounds each but then Harry says they can buy them for three or four Galleons and sell them for twenty? The very lowest conversion rate I have seen on Pounds to Galleons is 2-1 with 5-1 being the generally accepted rate and 10/20-1 not uncommon so your numbers just don't add up. Especially considering if they go through Justin buying bulk they will be getting them at a much lower price than the local stationery store would sell them.

zac posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 5:48pm

How about CJ Fashions? Great chapter as always. Harry is awfully frustrating.

Antosha posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 5:15pm

Well, as a longtime Apple laptop user, the name that jumped out to me for the office version of the StudyBook would be the WorkBook. A fancier version would be the WorkBook Pro. Folks at the MLE could use the CaseBook.... The folks in the Department of Mysteries could use CodeBooks that self-encrypt!

Thanks for continuing this fun, thought-provoking story!

ginny50 posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 2:28pm

i dont have a clue as to what you should call the books, except for the Potions Master book.
Perhaps, the GookBook...
not likely to sell one with tht name to Snape, but i suppose all potions masters cant be as nasty and humorless as him, can they?

love this story!

Mikado posted a comment on Wednesday 24th October 2007 1:40pm

Hi,

You fics are really fascinating. Top quality writing and very original. I got hooked about five months ago and have been checking back for this one to be updated ever since. Could you tell us if you intend to continue with this one, I don't want to stop looking for new chapters if you are. Thanks so much.

Rick D Gale posted a comment on Sunday 21st October 2007 3:23pm

I do enjoy reading your paladin story with Harry and the gang. I think I prefer Harry and Ginny to Harry / Hermione.

I do hope an other chapter will be coming out soon so we can see Hermione's reaction to her dad being hurt, and just what it was he was spying on.

I look forward to your next chapter.

Rick