Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss.
JOHN KEATS


Chapter Five


The house in Gracechurch Street was in an uproar when the Darcys arrived for dinner that evening. Mr. Bennet had appeared quite unexpectedly a short while before, bringing the rest of the Gardiner household with him.

Mr. Gardiner welcomed them graciously and explained the unusual commotion, "Ah, Mr. and Miss Darcy, how delightful to see you both. Please excuse all the confusion. My brother Bennet has quite taken us by surprise, bringing the rest of my family from Longbourn. This will probably delay dinner just a bit. Please sit down."

Lowering his voice, Mr. Gardiner whispered to Darcy, "I believe he received our letters this morning, sir, and that precipitated Mr. Bennet's hasty trip to town."

Speaking in a more normal tone, Mr. Gardiner continued, "I hope you will not mind if we forego a formal dinner this evening for a family meal with the children. They are excited to be home and it would be cruel to dismiss them to the nursery right away."

Georgiana nodded her agreement as Darcy assured Mr. Gardiner of their delight in meeting the other Gardiner children. Then sensing her brother's uneasiness, Georgiana asked, "Pray, Mr. Gardiner, is Elizabeth helping with the children?"

"No, she is actually with her father at the moment. Mr. Bennet requested a word with Lizzy just before you arrived." Seeing Darcy begin to rise, he continued, "I think it best we give them a few minutes alone, Mr. Darcy. I am certain that Mr. Bennet will wish to speak with you later."

Darcy nodded and kept his seat, but he was anxious. What if Mr. Bennet refused his consent? All Darcy's happiness might ride on a conversation taking place at this very minute and he was not a party to it. Darcy was entirely correct in assuming he was the topic of discussion in the study.

Mr. Bennet's consternation was obvious as he addressed his daughter. "Well, Lizzy, I received the letters from Mr. Darcy and your uncle, and I must say I was surprised to hear that you have accepted Mr. Darcy of all men. Before I speak with the man I want to know if you are still certain of your choice."

Elizabeth blushed, but she forced herself to meet her father's penetrating gaze. "Yes, Papa. I know I have been foolish and most unfair to Mr. Darcy in the past, but I did not really know him then. Now that I do, I do not believe I could be happy with anyone else."

"But, Lizzy, how has this come about? I never thought you would be swayed by wealth, but I am at a loss to understand this sudden change in your opinion of the man. I thought you agreed with the general consensus in Meryton that Mr. Darcy is a proud, disagreeable man."

"And I am partly to blame for Mr. Darcy's poor reputation in Meryton, Papa. Oh what mortification that knowledge has caused me--"

Knowing that her father's concern was for her happiness, Elizabeth told him everything about her earlier acquaintance with Darcy--how her vanity had mislead her, of Darcy's misunderstood admiration of her, and finally, "--it was in Kent that Mr. Darcy first confessed his regard for me and made me an offer of marriage."

Elizabeth was surprised when her father said, "Yes, Lizzy, I am aware of that. Mr. Darcy already explained as much in his letter, but he gave me to understand that you refused him in Kent."

"I did. Oh, Papa, I was a blind fool--I who have always prided myself on being clever and perceptive--it is painful to remember just how wrong I was. I was most vehement in my refusal of Mr. Darcy and I even berated him for his cruelty towards Mr. Wickham."

"You spoke to him of Wickham?"

"Yes, just another instance of my gross misjudgment. I have since learned that I was very much deceived by that gentleman. He is, in fact, not a gentleman at all, but a wastrel and a rake."

Mr. Bennet had always thought Wickham's tale of woe to be too charmingly told to be plausible and so demanded no verification of those assertions at the moment. He did decide to ask Mr. Darcy more about Wickham later since they were obviously well acquainted. Meanwhile there was more he would know from his daughter, "But tell me, Lizzy, if you refused Mr. Darcy in April, what has happened since to bring on a renewal of his addresses?"

"Once my eyes were opened to Mr. Wickham's true nature, I began to see Mr. Darcy very differently. I was tormented by guilt for my unkindness to Mr. Darcy, but I did not expect our paths to cross again--" Elizabeth went on to relate the history of the Mr. Darcy's illness, Georgiana's letter, and then the note she had received after arriving in London. "--I only went to apologize for the unfair and harsh way I had spurned him, but Mr. Darcy made no attempt to hide the fact that he still loved me, Papa.

"I have never seen anyone so close to death, but when Mr. Darcy saw me--when he knew that I no longer thought ill of him--he began to improve. It was remarkable. I think I have always admired his person and his intelligence, but in London I have discovered that Mr. Darcy also has a sense of humor and a depth of feeling that he does not usually display. I found myself returning his affections and was most relieved when he again made me an offer of marriage."

Mr. Bennet's demeanor had softened considerably as he listened to his daughter. When she finished he nodded his approval.

"So you turned him down, and the man had the sense to not give up. Such a strong regard for you, Lizzy, predisposes me to like Mr. Darcy very much. Your uncle's approbation also speaks well of him. Enough for now. Let us go and see if he is here. I shall look forward to speaking with your young man later."

Mr. Bennet prided himself on being a keen observer of human nature, but he doubted a blind man could have missed the way Darcy's face lit up at the sight of his daughter. Her delight in seeing him was equally evident. Touched by the sight of his daughter's happiness, Mr. Bennet's greeting of the Darcys was somewhat friendlier than was his usual manner.

Mrs. Gardiner soon appeared with all five of her children. Emma and Peter greeted their guests warmly, but the others were understandably shy. Margaret and James were the two eldest and their greetings were proper, if subdued. Katie who was a year younger than Peter hung back, timidly clinging to her mother's skirts.

Seeing that Emma had THE book in tow, Georgiana helpfully suggested that Emma and Peter tell the other children and Mr. Bennet the story of their cousin's engagement. This was just what the intrepid storytellers had hoped would happen. Their faces lit up with pleasure and the whole party was soon rearranged to their satisfaction so that the newcomers would be able to see the illustrations.

Although Darcy blushed considerably at being compared to the handsome prince, he enjoyed the tale along with everyone else. The adults all considerately refrained from laughing aloud, but their amusement was evident. As Emma pointed out the picture of the prince kneeling before Cendrillon with her shoe in his hand, Darcy gathered his courage and took Elizabeth's hand in his own. Curious to see how the solemn young man was taking the children's version of his proposal, Mr. Bennet happened to glance at Darcy just as he was reaching for Elizabeth's hand. However, seeing the way Darcy looked at his daughter, Mr. Bennet could not be affronted.

Just at that moment Peter caused the whole company to laugh by saying, "It is a shame you would not let Mr. Darcy have one of your shoes, Lizzy. Then a frog could have jumped out of it and that would make the story much more interesting."

By the time dinner was over, Mr. Bennet had warmed considerably toward Darcy. Understanding that he had proposed to Elizabeth twice, Mr. Bennet was prepared to see a young man in love. However, he was not prepared for the way in which Darcy made no attempt to hide his admiration for Elizabeth. Mr. Bennet was also very pleased by the respect Darcy showed for his daughter. When Elizabeth spoke, no matter what the subject, she had Darcy's full attention. Even when Darcy had held her hand before dinner, it was not done casually or with the arrogance of presumption. The man had taken her hand as if it were the most precious thing in the world. Yes, Mr. Bennet was quite pleased by Elizabeth's choice.

After dinner Elizabeth and Darcy accompanied her father to the study as Mr. Gardiner herded the children upstairs. Seeing Georgiana's anxiety, Mrs. Gardiner hastened to reassure her.

"Do not worry, my dear Miss Darcy. The fact that my Brother Bennet asked Lizzy to join them is most reassuring. If he were in doubt about giving his consent, Mr. Bennet would probably be speaking to your brother alone. I am certain that all will be well."

A tendency toward worry was most definitely a family trait, as Darcy was also feeling apprehensive at that moment. It helped considerably when Elizabeth smiled at him and took his hand in her own for a moment. Her actions were not unnoticed by Mr. Bennet. "Yes," he thought, "Lizzy is definitely determined to have him."

Aloud he said, "So, Mr. Darcy, I understand you wish to marry my daughter."

"Yes, sir, with all my heart."

"I trust you understand that Lizzy has no dowry."

"I am aware of that, Mr. Bennet. It is of little consequence. My fortune is more than sufficient for both of us. All I lacked before was happiness and I have found that with your daughter."

"Well said, sir. I appreciate the fact that you hold Elizabeth in such high esteem. I only point out the disparity of fortune to be certain that you have both considered the possible repercussions."

Darcy's expression assured Mr. Bennet this was well-traveled ground for him. Elizabeth on the other hand looked as if she had given the matter no real thought.

Seeing Elizabeth's momentary confusion Mr. Bennet persisted, "I am concerned for your future happiness as well as my daughter's, Mr. Darcy. It is likely there will be those who will judge Elizabeth to be a fortune hunter. What of your family, Mr. Darcy? Will they condemn her thusly?"

"My dearest relations are my sister Georgiana and my cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam," Darcy replied. "They both understand that our marriage will be one of mutual affection and are delighted that I have managed to secure your daughter's affection and acceptance. As for the rest of my relations, I have not informed them yet, as I had not obtained your consent, sir."

Darcy sighed as he continued, "In truth I expect my Aunt Catherine will be somewhat displeased, but that is not because of anything about Miss Elizabeth. My aunt has long hoped I will marry her daughter, although neither my cousin nor myself have any inclination towards such a match.

"As for my other relatives, I believe they will all respect and admire Miss Elizabeth when they have come to know her. Be assured, however, that anyone who refuses to show your daughter the respect that is her due will not be welcome in our home. When we are married, our relationship will preclude any other in importance for me."

Mr. Bennet nodded with satisfaction, "Very well, Mr. Darcy, I am satisfied that you are prepared to deal with that sort of unpleasantness, but what of you, Lizzy? Does this give you pause? Do you need time to reconsider?"

Elizabeth took Darcy's hand again, and this time she did not relinquish it. "No, Papa, I confess I had not given the matter as much thought as Mr. Darcy has, and I appreciate your concern for my happiness. I think, however, that I would prefer to be thought a fortune hunter by those who are small minded, than to forego the happiness of being Mr. Darcy's wife."

"Very well, then," Mr. Bennet said, "you have my consent. Are you prepared to set a date for the wedding now or would you prefer to take some time to consider it?"

Although they had not discussed this, a quick glance between Darcy and Elizabeth confirmed they were both eager to set a date. Elizabeth actually spoke first, "I think, Papa, that we would like to be married within a few weeks. Mr. Darcy must go into Derbyshire soon and neither of us wants to be parted for an extended period of time."

Darcy's countenance glowed. He had hoped to be married soon, but had prepared himself for the possibility that Elizabeth might require a long engagement.

"Your daughter is right, sir. Due to my illness I have neglected my estate in Derbyshire of late, but I do not think I could bear to be so far from Eliz--Miss Elizabeth."

Although Mr. Bennet was disappointed to lose his favorite daughter so quickly, he had already expected as much. Determined that nothing would mar Elizabeth's happiness, he managed to smile as he said, "Very well then, shall you go into Hertfordshire to marry or will you be married from your uncle's house here in London?"

"That is your decision, dearest, for I do not care where we marry as long as you will have me," Darcy whispered reaching across with his other hand so that Elizabeth's hand was now firmly clasped between both his own.

Elizabeth smiled her appreciation and then hesitated as she gathered her thoughts, "I would like to have all my family with me for the wedding, but I do not wish a lot of parties and fuss, Papa. I fear it will be impossible to avoid that if I am married from Longbourn. If my aunt and uncle do not mind, could you bring Mama and my sisters here for a simple, private ceremony in London?"

Mr. Bennet understood all too well Elizabeth's aversion to the fuss her mother was sure to make. He rose and kissed the top of his daughter's head, before he replied, "Of course, child, if that is what you want and is agreeable with the Gardiners, then that is what we will do. I shall go and speak with your aunt right now." Turning his attention to Darcy, Mr. Bennet added, "You have my permission to remain behind for a few minutes, but only a few, sir."

Darcy rose to shake Mr. Bennet's hand, "Thank you, sir. I promise to take good care of your daughter and I hope that you will come and visit us at Pemberley this fall."

"I may just do that," Mr. Bennet replied. "Now, remember I expect to see you in the parlor in a few minutes."

When the door had closed behind Mr. Bennet, Darcy turned to Elizabeth, "You have made me very happy, but are you certain that you do not need more time, Elizabeth?"

She smiled at him reassuringly, "No, Fitzwilliam, I do not need more time. While we still have much to learn of each other, I know that I am happiest when I am with you and that is enough for now."

"My only concern is that you may be foregoing your own desires in consideration of mine, Elizabeth." Darcy paused to kiss her hand before continuing, "I appreciate your desire for my happiness, but I would not wish for anything about our wedding to make you dissatisfied. If you would like a longer engagement or want to be married from your home--"

"Hush, dearest," she shushed him. "I will confess that I am concerned for your health and do not want you to be fatigued by a lot of bother, Fitzwilliam, but a small, quiet wedding is also all I have ever wanted for myself. Under different circumstances I might have tolerated more 'fuss and bother' simply to please my mother. However, you are my primary concern here, sir, and as our wishes are in accord we shall please ourselves. I dare say my mother will be pleased enough that we are marrying, and she can 'fuss' over one of my sister's weddings--" Elizabeth blushed as she remembered her mother's past behavior to him. Her voice was barely audible as she continued, "I hope you will be able to endure her raptures. I know she has been abominably rude to you in the past, Fitzwilliam."

"Pray do not trouble yourself over that, dearest. She is your mother, therefore, I will do my best to be polite to her."

"Thank you," she whispered.

"You have made me so happy, Lizzy," Darcy whispered in reply. He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed it tenderly.

Gazing down into her eyes and seeing her love for him, Darcy dared to ask, "Elizabeth?"

She nodded shyly still meeting his gaze.

Darcy took her face in his hands and then he leaned in slowly. He kissed her gently allowing his lips to linger on hers briefly. When Elizabeth opened her eyes, Darcy was watching her anxiously as if afraid he might have offended her. He relaxed when she smiled at him.

Darcy held her hand to his chest and said, "I do not know if you can feel it, but my heart is racing, my love. I am glad that we are to be married soon, for I do not want to be apart from you even for an hour. For now, I think we had best join the others. I should hate for your father to think I have taken advantage of his generosity."

The Gardiners were delighted that Lizzy wanted to be married from their home and assured her the entire Bennet family would be welcome to come and stay with them for the wedding. Elizabeth was doubly grateful when her aunt insisted on planning the wedding breakfast. She knew it would be a reflection of her aunt's taste and creativity, which was a considerable relief.

The Gardiners understood all too well the excessive activity and interest Elizabeth was trying to avoid by remaining in London. It was agreed that Darcy would procure a special license on Monday, and Mr. Gardiner offered to call on their minister to arrange the time for the ceremony. Once those details were in order, Darcy and Elizabeth could write to the select family and friends who would be invited to the ceremony. Mr. Bennet elected to remain in London until all was arranged. Understanding his wife's temperament and temper he thought it best to present her with a fait accompli.


****


Much to Elizabeth's chagrin, Aunt Gardiner insisted on taking her to the dressmaker Monday morning. However, to Elizabeth's surprise and delight, shopping with her aunt was far simpler and more pleasant than shopping with her mother. Mrs. Gardiner was a sensible woman with excellent taste. They quickly decided on fabrics and patterns for six dresses and assorted personal articles and were home in time for luncheon with the children.

By mid-afternoon Darcy had arrived to report his success in procuring the license, and Mr. Gardiner appeared shortly thereafter with the news that the wedding was scheduled for a week from Friday. Darcy and Elizabeth immediately set about writing to their closest family and friends about the upcoming wedding.

When their letters were done, Darcy sighed with satisfaction and said, "Writing invitations to my relatives makes it seem real, Elizabeth."

She smiled teasingly, "I hope that is a good thing, Fitzwilliam."

"It is most definitely a very good thing, my love. Before today it seemed a happy dream that you would soon be my wife. The dream was lovely, but the reality is much better," said Darcy with a smile. "Come, dearest. I must see if Mr. Gardiner's man can take these to the Express Office for me. I want them to go out right away."

Darcy reached for Elizabeth's hand to help her up, and when she stood, their bodies were almost touching. He stood there staring down at her intently until Elizabeth tilted her chin up expectantly. Then Darcy smiled as he bent down to kiss her. He allowed his lips to linger longer this time before he pulled away.

His voice was husky as Darcy whispered, "Come, my love, before you drive me to distraction."


****


Mr. Bennet left for home the following morning, carrying a long letter from Elizabeth to Jane in his pocket. The two eldest Bennet sisters had always been close. Elizabeth could not imagine how she would have born her misery and mortification after Darcy's first proposal without Jane's consolation and encouragement. What a relief to now write to dear Jane of her present happiness.

In truth Elizabeth had written several letters to Jane during her stay in London that told of Mr. Darcy's continued regard for her and the change in her feelings for him. It had been a comfort to write those letters, but Elizabeth had not dared to post them. It was simply unthinkable to risk her mother knowing anything about Mr. Darcy before all was settled. Elizabeth trusted Jane implicitly and knew she would never willingly betray a confidence; however, Jane was not devious enough to safeguard her personal letters from their mother's prying eyes. Even now Elizabeth dreaded her mother's elation over the wedding, but she knew Jane would assist her to endure it.

Mr. Bennet returned to Longbourn alone, having decided that Sally would continue as Elizabeth's personal maid until after the wedding. Mr. Bennet had also encouraged her to consider continuing in Elizabeth's service after she was wed, but left the final decision to Sally.


****


The week passed happily for Elizabeth, as she saw Darcy every day. She was amazed at how quickly her happiness had become wrapped up in one person. Although Elizabeth was pleased at the thought of seeing her family on the following Monday, she also dreaded their coming. Elizabeth longed for Jane, but she knew that all peace would end with the arrival of her mother and younger sisters. On Sunday evening after the Darcys left to return home, Mrs. Gardiner called Elizabeth aside for a chat.

"Lizzy, dear, I do not want to impose on you with unsolicited advice, but I would like to speak with you seriously."

"Of course, Aunt, you know that your counsel is never unwelcome. In fact, I would be most grateful for any advice you have for me," Elizabeth smiled at her aunt as she continued, "especially regarding marriage, for it is clear that you and my uncle are very happy together."

"Thank you, Lizzy. We are very happy, your uncle and I," said Mrs. Gardiner. "In fact, that is the very thing I would like to talk about, happiness in marriage. Mr. Darcy obviously adores you and you are well suited to one another, so I do not fear for your long-term contentment, dear Lizzy. However, I do want the best possible start for your life together. I do not want to embarrass you or alarm you, dear, but too many young brides are entirely ignorant and that is not good. Has your mother spoken to you at all about the more private aspects of marriage?"

Elizabeth shook her head no; however, her uneasy expression confirmed Mrs. Gardiner's supposition that Elizabeth's mother had probably planted seeds of fear and uncertainty in her girls regarding marital intimacy.

"Well, Lizzy, I would like to enlighten you then, if that is agreeable to you. Too many young women are either misinformed or enter marriage knowing nothing of what to expect. It is unfortunate because wrong expectations can deprive a young woman of the sacred pleasures of marriage."

"Sacred pleasures, Aunt?"

"Yes, pleasures, Lizzy. Does it not give you pleasure when Mr. Darcy holds your hand?"

Elizabeth blushed as she nodded.

"And that is right," said Aunt Gardiner. "It is supposed to be pleasurable to share love with one's husband. The Bible describes marriage as two becoming one flesh, and it is truly a miracle the way our bodies are made to respond to our husbands."

Mrs. Gardiner proceeded to describe the act of married love to her niece. She was tactful but direct and it was obvious that Elizabeth was listening carefully.

"-- For a husband and wife to express their love this way is the most natural thing in the world and when you are close to your husband it is a wonderful thing. I wanted to talk to you tonight, because--" Mrs. Gardner paused seeing Elizabeth's smile. "Yes, dear, in part because your family will be here tomorrow evening and then privacy will be hard to come by, but I also wanted you to have some time to think this over. You may have questions after you have given it some thought and I would be happy to answer them for you, Lizzy. Mr. Darcy is an excellent man and I want you to be able to trust him in this, for I know that he loves you dearly."

"Thank you, Aunt. I will think about what you have said and I promise I will come to you if I have questions or find myself worrying about it."

"Then I am satisfied, my dear. Goodnight," said Mrs. Gardiner who was encouraged by her niece's composure. Although she had seemed a little embarrassed at first, Elizabeth did not appear to be upset or shocked.

Elizabeth lay awake for some time thinking of what her aunt had shared. She then found herself thinking of Fitzwilliam's kisses and how she had wished for him to continue. Had her body instinctively understood what was to come? The thought of such a strong secret desire within herself was disconcerting. Then Elizabeth remembered how gentle Fitzwilliam's kisses had been and knew she had nothing to fear. He would never harm her in any way. Her aunt was right, Elizabeth could safely trust in her husband as she hoped Fitzwilliam would trust in her. Her husband-- Elizabeth found herself smiling at the thought. Yes, Aunt Gardiner's chat had been very reassuring. Elizabeth finally fell asleep wishing fervently for Friday to come.


****


Sally was taming Elizabeth's curls the next morning when she worked up the courage to speak to her mistress about the future.

"Miss Lizzy, do you truly want me to stay on with you after you marry Mr. Darcy?"

"Of course, Sally, it would please me greatly, but my father is right. You must do what you think is best. Have you considered it?"

"Yes, Miss Lizzy, I have thought about it a lot." Sally took a deep breath and then blurted out her answer, "I want to stay with you, Miss Lizzy, I do, but are you sure you will be wanting me? Mr. Darcy must have a lot of fine servants, and I do not know as I am fit to be a real lady's maid."

Elizabeth laughed and took Sally by the hand. "Well, you are more than fit to be this lady's maid, and it would make me so happy to have you come."

"Truly, Miss Lizzy?" Sally was grinning at her.

"Truly, Sally. While I am certain Mr. Darcy has many excellent servants, they are strangers to me. You know me, Sally. In fact, you may understand me better than some of my family. Please say you will come. If you ever change your mind and want to return to Longbourn, you know you will have my blessing."


****


Darcy arrived at the Gardiners' later that morning with very good news. He had received a letter from his uncle stating that he and Lady Carlisle would return to town for the wedding. They were not yet certain when they would arrive but hoped to meet Elizabeth before the wedding itself. Darcy was elated.

Little did Darcy know that his letter had initially caused his uncle considerable consternation. Lord Carlisle's concern about his nephew's sudden marriage to a young woman of whom they knew nothing was understandable. However, after his wife pointed out that Darcy had never made a foolish move in all his life and had proven himself quite adept at identifying and avoiding fortune hunters, the earl's anxiety abated. In fact, after another day's reflection, Darcy's uncle decided the whole thing sounded like what he should have expected of his nephew. After years of eschewing high society's matrimonial offerings, Darcy had at last found himself a suitable young woman, and was determined to wed her as soon as possible.

The ever-loyal Colonel Fitzwilliam had taken leave upon receiving his letter from Darcy, and he arrived at his family's country estate two days later ready to do battle on his cousin's behalf. However, by the time he arrived his parents were happily speculating about their future niece so any defense of Darcy's choice was completely unnecessary.

Fitzwilliam's parents were delighted, however, to discover that he actually knew the lady. They were eager to hear all he could tell them of Darcy's bride and he was most happy to oblige them.

Fitzwilliam was a gifted storyteller and he held his parents spellbound as he told them all he knew of Darcy's bride and their unusual courtship. They often nodded and smiled as the colonel talked of Darcy and Elizabeth's numerous misunderstandings during their acquaintance in Hertfordshire and its renewal in Kent. As Darcy's near relations, his aunt and uncle were well aware of his foibles and had often worried over his shyness with strangers.

"--Poor Darcy was rather funny to watch. I do not think the lady had any notion of his admiration for her, but knowing my cousin as I do it was obvious to me. Darcy would sit around staring at her and could hardly string two words together in her presence. I must admit I enjoyed provoking him by engaging Miss Bennet in conversation while all he could do was watch."

"Oh, Richard, that is so unfair," his mother chided him, while his father smirked behind her back. "You know your cousin has always been shy."

"Yes, well, I knew he was smitten, but I had no idea of the depth of Darcy's feelings. At the time I thought it was a passing fancy, and I never dreamed he would act on it. He did though. Without a word to me, he just up and proposed to her. I am certain he took Miss Bennet quite by surprise and she refused him in no uncertain terms."

This time it was Fitzwilliam's father who interrupted his tale. "Do you mean to say, that this young woman actually refused your cousin's offer of marriage?"

"Yes, she did. Miss Bennet is a young woman of fixed opinions and strong ideals. You should have seen her with Lady Catherine. Miss Bennet was always courteous, but she refused to kowtow to my aunt's incessant advice and indoctrination. Lady Catherine did not know what to do. She admired Miss Bennet's cleverness, but it also affronted her that Miss Bennet did not grovel before her."

That brought a murmur of approval from the earl.

Fitzwilliam resumed his tale. "Where was I? Oh, yes, when Darcy sprang his declaration on her, Miss Bennet did not return his feelings and so she refused him. I think there was considerable misunderstanding between them at the time. It seems Miss Bennet had been acquainted with Wickham in Hertfordshire."

"Oh, no! Lord, how I hate that man," Lady Carlisle exclaimed.

"I know, Mother. We all do, except perhaps Darcy and Georgiana. Darcy is very angry with Wickham, of course, but I do not know if he has yet come to hate him. Anyway, the scoundrel had told Miss Bennet numerous lies of my cousin, which no doubt contributed to her poor opinion of him. Of course, I knew nothing of the proposal at the time. All I knew was that Darcy seemed very unhappy when we left Rosings. I assumed he was frustrated with our aunt, but his spirits did not recover. If anything Darcy's melancholy seemed to deepen. It was several weeks later before I pried the truth from him, and shortly thereafter Darcy fell ill."

His parents' expressions were grave as Fitzwilliam haltingly described his cousin's subsequent decline. The earl instinctively reached for his wife's hand to comfort her when they learned of how near a thing it was. They had known their nephew was gravelly ill, but had not realized how close they had been to losing him.

Colonel Fitzwilliam had tears in his eyes as he continued. "I shall never forget the look on Georgiana's face when the doctor said she must prepare herself for the worst. I thought my heart would break. Yet, Georgiana exhibited a strength that is beyond my comprehension. Instead of collapsing in her own grief, she decided to take whatever action might bring comfort to her brother. I had told Georgiana about Darcy and Miss Bennet, as I did not want her to think she was in any way to blame for his unhappiness.

"Of course, once he began to burn with fever, it would not have remained a secret long, for Darcy would sometimes speak of Miss Bennet and other times speak to her in his delirium. Georgiana determined that as his unhappiness over the lady had undermined Darcy's health, perhaps hope of reconciliation with Miss Bennet might save him. She wrote to Miss Bennet requesting she come to London--"

The colonel was able to give his parents a much more detailed account of the subsequent events. They listened spell bound as he recounted the particulars of his trip into Hertfordshire, then the days Elizabeth spent at the Darcy home in London and finally Darcy's subsequent wooing of the lady. When he described the formerly solemn Darcy's proposal in front of the Gardiner's children, his parents laughed aloud. It was a welcome relief to laugh after the distress of hearing the details of their nephew's illness.

The colonel thought it was quite characteristic that his father's concern was the depth of Darcy's attachment for the lady while his mother's concern was that it was returned in kind.

Seeking reassurance the earl ventured to comment, "Your cousin must truly love Miss Bennet to have trusted Georgiana to her care."

"Yes, Father, he does. Even if there were no hope for a future with Miss Bennet, I am convinced there would never be another woman for Darcy. His attachment is beyond anything I would have expected or thought possible. That is why I am truly happy for him now. If you can envision two drowning sailors being saved by a raft miraculously floating by, well Darcy and Georgiana were the drowning sailors and Miss Bennet, the raft that saved them. I am not just speaking of their health, but their happiness. It is something you must see for yourself to understand."

The colonel smiled warmly at his parents and added, "I cannot wait for you to meet her, Mother. I know my brother's wife is something of a disappointment, but I think you will be very fond of Darcy's wife."

Lady Carlisle dried her tears before speaking, "I think you are right, Richard. I believe I love this young woman already, but I hope she is not marrying your cousin out of pity. Does Miss Bennet truly return Darcy's affection now?"

"Yes, Mother, I am certain of it. While Darcy had previously tried to hide his admiration, in London he has been openly affectionate and determined in his pursuit of Miss Bennet--a much better tactic for winning a fair lady's regard. Although Darcy has loved her longer, I truly believe Miss Bennet's regard for him is now equally strong."

After all their son had told them of Miss Bennet, Lord and Lady Carlisle were most eager to meet the young woman herself. As Sunday travel was regarded as unconscionable by the earl, they would leave for London at first light Monday morning. With no difficulties, they would arrive in town by midday Tuesday.


****


Meanwhile in London, Elizabeth had no thoughts at the moment for Darcy's extended family. She was too preoccupied with worry regarding the arrival of her own. Although she was anxious to see Jane and her father, Elizabeth was concerned about the many ways her mother and younger sisters might embarrass her in front of the Darcys. The Bennets, however, failed to arrive at Gracechurch Street on Monday afternoon as expected. An express arrived instead. Mrs. Bennet had insisted that she and the girls must all have new dresses to wear to the wedding and the local seamstress was unable to finish them all so quickly. The Bennets would, therefore, be arriving in London on Wednesday evening.

Mrs. Gardiner was rather irritated that Mrs. Bennet thought dresses of greater import than being with her daughter at such a time, "Oh, Lizzy, I hope you are not too disappointed."

Elizabeth smiled at her aunt as she reached for Darcy's hand. "I must confess I am very anxious to see Jane. I will miss her so, but I am not terribly distressed by the delay. It means less time for Mama's nerves to flutter."

Darcy smiled down at her and squeezed her hand, "You know that you may invite your sister to come and stay with us once we are settled, my love. I know that I cannot keep you all to myself."

"Thank you, dearest," Elizabeth barely whispered the endearment but Darcy heard it and beamed at her. "I know you are sincere about welcoming Jane into our home. I love you for that, but once we are wed it will never be quite the same as it was for us growing up together. I must be a little sad for that, but I promise it is only a little."

"Well, since I will be depriving you of your sister, you know that I will gladly share mine with you."

"I thank you for the favor, sir. Speaking of Georgiana, where is she?"

Aunt Gardiner answered merrily, "I believe Emma and Peter have lured her into the garden to play proposal again. This time I believe Georgiana is to be you, Lizzy, and Peter will be you, Mr. Darcy. I imagine that means Emma will be playing herself and supervising everyone else."

Darcy threw back his head and laughed, a sound that warmed Elizabeth's heart.


****


Tuesday was another beautiful summer day. Knowing this was the last day of complete calm before the wedding, Darcy asked Mrs. Gardiner if he might take Elizabeth for a walk through the nearby park. She gave her permission gladly, knowing that the young couple had few moments for private conversation.

The pair walked in companionable silence for some time. Darcy was content to have Elizabeth on his arm and she was equally satisfied by his nearness.

Finally, Darcy felt he had to speak, "Elizabeth, I must confess I have been very selfish."

"How so, my love?"

"Well, I have been thinking only of how happy I am that you will be going into Derbyshire with me next week. Until yesterday, I had not really thought of all you will be leaving behind. I hope you are not too sad, dearest." Darcy's face revealed the depth of his anxiety and Elizabeth sought to reassure him.

"You must allow me to miss my family a little, Fitzwilliam, but do not distress yourself. I will be where I want to be, for I will be with you." Elizabeth blushed slightly, but she did not pull away from his gaze. "Friday I will become your wife and you will be my husband. No matter what changes that will bring, it will make me very happy."

Darcy could scarcely restrain himself from taking her in his arms right then. He had to content himself with placing his hand over the smaller one resting on his arm and intertwining their fingers.

"I adore you, Elizabeth" he whispered, "and I can hardly wait until Friday to make you my own."

Realizing she had best tease him into a less passionate frame of mind, Elizabeth gave Darcy her sauciest smile, "Well, I am afraid you must wait until Friday, sir, but I promise I will not make you wait a moment longer than is necessary."

Darcy gave her a mischievous smile of his own and replied, "I will hold you to that promise, Elizabeth, not a moment longer than necessary."

When Darcy and Elizabeth returned from their walk, his uncle's carriage was sitting in front of the Gardiners' house. This sudden appearance of Darcy's relatives made Elizabeth surprisingly nervous. She had assumed that she would have time to prepare for meeting them. Sensing some anxiety behind Darcy's smile as well, Elizabeth took a deep breath and gave his arm a reassuring squeeze. They entered the house to find Lady Carlisle and Colonel Fitzwilliam having tea with Mrs. Gardiner. Darcy presented Elizabeth to his aunt who immediately began a heartfelt apology.

"I am sorry, my dear, for bursting in on you this way. I should have had Darcy bring you around for tea or something, but we only arrived this morning and I could not wait to meet you. My son has told us so much about you that I feel as if we are already friends." Lady Carlisle grasped both of Elizabeth's hands in her own. "I cannot thank you enough, my dear, for your recent kindness to Georgiana when she was ill. She and Darcy are almost as dear to us as our own sons. If anything had happened to either of them-- Well, bless you, my dear."

Lady Carlisle was insistent that Elizabeth sit beside her. Since that particular sofa was not long enough for three, Darcy without hesitation pulled a chair up next to Elizabeth and proceeded to take her hand. She blushed at this show of affection before his aunt, but Elizabeth did not pull away.

Lady Carlisle was, in fact, quite struck by the change in her nephew. His happiness was obvious. Seeing Darcy now, Lady Carlisle's realized for the first time how miserable his life must have been. Clearly, this change was Elizabeth's doing. Darcy was polite to his aunt and sincerely glad to see her, but he could not keep his eyes off of Elizabeth, and Elizabeth glowed in response.

Yes, Lady Carlisle decided that Darcy had chosen very well indeed. Elizabeth was charming, well mannered and intelligent, but most importantly, she had brought Darcy to life. By the time the visit was concluded Lady Carlisle was calling her "Elizabeth" and had insisted that Elizabeth call her "Lady Margaret."

Before departing Lady Carlisle invited Elizabeth and the Gardiners to dinner the following evening. Mrs. Gardiner regretfully declined explaining that Elizabeth's family was expected to arrive from Hertfordshire then.

"--I am sorry Lady Carlisle, but we must be home to receive them.

"Oh, of course, I understand, Mrs. Gardiner. I realize it is very short notice, but could you join us this evening instead? It will just be a quiet family dinner, but I know my husband is equally anxious to meet you, Elizabeth. Darcy, you and Georgiana are included in the invitation, of course."

This invitation was accepted with pleasure. Darcy was delighted by his aunt's cordial reception of Elizabeth, but his cousin's odd behavior had him worried that something was amiss. Colonel Fitzwilliam had been strangely quiet during the visit. He had only spoken when addressed directly and even then he had seemed reticent.

Darcy drew his cousin aside as the ladies said their farewells and asked, "Are you well, Fitzwilliam? You are unusually quiet."

The colonel gave him a reassuring smile, "Everything is fine, Darcy. I was just being a good soldier and following Mother's orders. She made it perfectly clear that my role today was simply to make the introductions. This visit was all about the ladies becoming acquainted. If she could have accomplished it gracefully, I think Mother would have banned us both from the room, but do not worry. She was actually beside herself with excitement at meeting your Elizabeth. I shared some of your history with Mother and Father and they are sincerely delighted for you, Darcy. Although he was not invited to come along this afternoon I think my father is already quite captivated by your Elizabeth, too."

Darcy clasped his cousin's shoulder and whispered his thanks. He was most pleased when his aunt kissed Elizabeth's cheek before departing.

Darcy left soon after his aunt and cousin. It was agreed that he and Georgiana would return in several hours to escort Elizabeth and the Gardiners to his uncle's house. When Darcy left, Elizabeth walked him out, anxious for just a few more minutes together.

Elizabeth was pleased at the welcome she had received from Darcy's aunt, but she was still nervous about meeting his uncle the earl. "Should I be fearful of your uncle's displeasure, my love?"

"No, not in the least." Darcy took her hand and smiled reassuringly. "Fitzwilliam actually whispered that his father is quite taken with you already and my aunt's approval is obviously sincere. I think they simply want to know you and I know that my uncle will enjoy the Gardiners' company. Who would not?"

Elizabeth smiled up at him. "I love you," she whispered.

"You are my heart and my life," Darcy whispered in reply. He tenderly kissed her hand and he was gone.

Such a parting was not quickly recovered from. Elizabeth had to force herself to return to the parlor and found it difficult to engage in conversation with her aunt. Fortunately Aunt Gardiner, who knew full well the importance of Elizabeth's introduction to Lord Carlisle, soon sent her upstairs to rest before their dinner engagement. She also encouraged Elizabeth to wear one of her new gowns.

When Elizabeth came down the stairs, Darcy's heart caught in his throat. He could not have described the gown, which was elegant in its simplicity. Darcy merely thought Elizabeth was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

While Darcy was speechless in his admiration, Georgiana was not. "Oh, Elizabeth, how lovely you look."

Georgiana carried most of the conversation in the carriage, telling the Gardiners about her uncle and his family. Colonel Fitzwilliam was, of course, well known to the Gardiners, but Georgiana told them something of his older brother Philip, the Viscount Carlisle, and his wife of several months. Georgiana thought Philip and his wife were probably still in the country, but she wanted their guests to be prepared in case he was present this evening. Elizabeth scarcely heard any of the conversation. She was too wrapped up in Darcy to even be nervous about meeting his uncle. In three days time she would be his wife. The thought made her shiver just a little. Aunt Gardiner who was seated beside her asked, "Are you cold, Lizzy? I thought I felt you shiver."

Elizabeth assured her aunt she was fine. Darcy, however, still looked concerned. Eager to stop his worrying about her, Elizabeth waited until no one else was looking at her and mouthed, "I love you," to him silently.

Darcy's face lit up instantly and Elizabeth knew that he was impatient to be where he could touch her again. The distance across the coach was too great.

Lord and Lady Carlisle greeted their guests warmly. Lord Carlisle bowed low over Elizabeth's hand. "I understand we are indebted to you, my dear, for your recent care of our niece and nephew. I trust Darcy will spend the rest of his life happily repaying your kindness."

He then turned his attention to Elizabeth's relatives. Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner were well mannered, well educated and genuine. That rare combination engendered Lord Carlisle's respect. He was also pleased to find Elizabeth to be a lovely, artless young woman, and the way she looked at Darcy warmed his heart.

It was a very pleasant evening, or at least it began that way. They were lingering over dessert when what could only be described as a shriek was heard from the hallway.

"Where is my brother? Out of my way, you simpleton, I must speak with Lord Carlisle immediately."

The Gardiners remained blissfully ignorant for a few moments longer, but everyone else at the table knew that Lady Catherine had arrived.

The woman herself burst into the dining room. "There you are--" Lady Catherine was rendered speechless by the sight before her. Her brother was actually entertaining the country upstart who thought to marry her nephew and those were no doubt some of her family. It was not to be born!

"Catherine," Lord Carlisle began, "How nice it is to see you. I understand that you already know Miss Bennet. Please allow me to introduce Miss Bennet's uncle and aunt Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner. Would you care to join us?"

Lady Catherine actually sniffed. "I had thought better of you, brother. Darcy is young enough to be taken in by the arts and allurements--"

Darcy himself stopped her, "That is quite enough. Miss Bennet will be my wife in three days time, Aunt, and I expect you to treat her with the respect she is due."

Lady Catherine began sputtering, but Lord Carlisle was also on his feet by this time, and he interrupted her before she could resume her ranting.

"Yes, you have said too much, Catherine. I must insist that you apologize to our guests."

Seeing the enraged expression on his sister's face and fearful of what she might spew forth next, Lord Carlisle took Lady Catherine by the elbow and propelled her toward the door. He spoke over his shoulder as he forcefully removed her from the dining room, "Please excuse me for a few minutes. Richard, help your mother entertain our guests."

Darcy felt compelled to apologize for his aunt. "Miss Bennet, Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner, I deeply regret my aunt's poor behavior. While she is my aunt, there is very little of substance on which we agree. I am sorry for her--"

Mr. Gardiner interrupted him good-naturedly, "Pray do not distress yourself, Mr. Darcy. We do not hold you responsible for your aunt's opinions. I am sorry that she does not approve your choice, but I trust you to know what is best in dealing with your own family, sir."

Even as her uncle was reassuring Darcy, Elizabeth noticed her aunt patting Georgiana's hand as she whispered something to her. The girl immediately relaxed and offered a small smile in response.

Colonel Fitzwilliam further dispelled the tension by saying, "Perhaps, we should let the ladies have the port this evening, gentlemen, and take ourselves off to the parlor."

Everyone laughed appreciatively and it was quickly decided that the entire party would move to the parlor. Darcy briefly entertained the thought of joining his uncle in confronting Lady Catherine, but decided he did not want to hear what she had to say. He would stay with Elizabeth. They had only been seated a few minutes when Lady Carlisle shooed Darcy away.

"I want to talk to your bride, Darcy. Go and see to Georgiana for a bit. I promise I will return Elizabeth to you unscathed."

Thankful for this Aunt's approval of his choice, Darcy obliged her by giving up his seat beside Elizabeth.

When he had walked away Lady Carlisle took Elizabeth's hand, "I trust, my dear, that you are not too distressed by that little scene in the dining room. Catherine is a pretentious fool. Please do not let her steal even the smallest part of your happiness."

"Thank you, Lady Margaret, you are most kind. While I had not anticipated Lady Catherine would appear here this evening, I will confess that I did not expect her to approve of Mr. Darcy's choice. Remember, I am acquainted with Lady Catherine. I know that she is a woman of decided opinions."

"Please know that she is not representative of the Fitzwilliam family. I do not know how Catherine came to be so course and unfeeling. She and Darcy's mother were as different as night and day. Ann was always considerate and loving, and Catherine-- well she has been like this for as long as I have known her. My poor husband is often quite exasperated with her, but she will not listen to him either. Do not worry though, Catherine may not always listen to Lord Carlisle, but I think she will fear him too much to break off from the family over this. And that will be her choice, all of us which includes you, my dear, or none of us."

Instead of comforting Elizabeth as Lady Carlisle intended, this thought was distressing to her. "Please Lady Margaret," she began, "I am grateful for your support, but I would not have this family divided over me."

"Do not fret, Elizabeth. I doubt it will come to that, but if it does it will be Catherine's doing and not yours." Lady Carlisle embraced Elizabeth as she whispered, "You are very sweet, my dear, and I am very happy to have another niece on whom I can dote."

Raising her voice so that Darcy would hear her, Lady Carlisle continued, "But now I see Darcy is too anxious about you, dear Elizabeth, to enjoy himself. Come here, Darcy. See. I return her to you safe and whole."

Darcy smiled at his aunt's teasing, but he was truly worried about Elizabeth. "Elizabeth, I am so sorry. I had no idea--"

Elizabeth gently placed a finger over his lips, "Do not fret so, my love. I am still here and I have no intention of going anywhere. Three days from now we will belong to each other completely. I am sorry if it displeases Lady Catherine, but I have no intention of giving you up to oblige her."

Darcy tenderly kissed the finger over his lips and then he took that hand in his own. "I do love you, Elizabeth," he whispered.

Lord Carlisle soon joined them. He made an apology on Lady Catherine's behalf and then there was a determined effort by all the company to speak of anything but Lady Catherine.

When their guests had gone Lord Carlisle remarked to his son, "You are right, Richard. I am very impressed with Darcy's choice. Not many young women would have remained so calm and collected with Catherine breaking down the door to say her piece. I think Darcy was far more offended than Miss Bennet was."

"I am sure you are right on that, Father. Remember, Miss Bennet is well acquainted with Lady Catherine. She knows how rude and unfeeling my aunt can be, but I have always admired Miss Bennet's poise in comparison to my aunt's posturing. One is the result of inner strength, the other is simply a show of strength and they are two very different things."

"Well said, my boy."

Lady Carlisle spoke up at that point, "While you were out with Catherine, my dear, I did speak with Elizabeth. I assured her that Catherine will be putting herself in opposition to the entire family if she persists in opposing their marriage."

"And what was her reaction, my dear?"

"Elizabeth actually seemed far more concerned about division within the family than she was with the outlandish things Catherine had been about to speak in the dining room."

Colonel Fitzwilliam smiled, "It makes you understand why Darcy is so anxious to tie Miss Bennet down before she can change her mind, doesn't it, Father?"

Copyright 2007 Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next