Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

The initial manuscript of Pride and Prejudice was written during 1796-1797 under the title First Impressions. The novel was never published under that title. After revisions it was first published on January 28, 1813. I choose to set my P & P stories just before the publication date. Therefore, Darcy and Elizabeth would have first met in the fall of 1812 with "Happily Ever After" taking place in 1813.

No sooner met but they looked, no sooner looked but they loved,
no sooner loved but they sighed, no sooner sighed but they asked one another the reason,
no sooner knew the reason but they sought the remedy;
and in these degrees have they made a pair of stairs to marriage...
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, As You Like It


Chapter Four


The next day was interminable for Elizabeth. She felt her anxiety grow with every minute that crept by, and by early afternoon Aunt Gardiner was watching her carefully. Finally, when Sally had taken the children upstairs for a nap, Mrs. Gardiner called Elizabeth to sit beside her.

"Lizzy, you seem uneasy. I trust you would have told me if something happened yesterday that I should be aware of."

"Oh, no, of course not-- I mean I would have told you if something--" Elizabeth blushed and began again. "I am sorry Aunt. I feel like such a simpleton. I had a very pleasant visit with both the Darcys yesterday, but today I feel anxious and miserable. Yet I am happy at the same time."

"There, there, Lizzy," Mrs. Gardiner soothed her, "it is naturally unsettling. You are aware of Mr. Darcy's regard for you and you return his feelings. Yet you must wait for the gentleman to act before you can be easy. Waiting is sometimes very difficult, but let us think on the immediate happiness before us in this evening's dinner engagement. I hope you are planning to wear the lovely combs that Miss Darcy gave you. I think it would mean a great deal to her and to her brother to see them on you."

"I wanted to, but I was not certain if it would be appropriate."

"While it is an unusual and precious gift, let me assure you again, Lizzy, that I have no scruples regarding your acceptance of it."

The two of them had discussed the matter at length the previous afternoon, and Mrs. Gardiner's heart had gone out to the motherless girl when Elizabeth recounted Georgiana's persuasive words. Mrs. Gardiner had been firm in her opinion that Elizabeth must accept the gift in the spirit in which it had been given. Of course her aunt understood that the true difficulty was Elizabeth's lack of certainty regarding Mr. Darcy's intentions. It was making her uncertain of everything else, including the gift from his sister.

"No, Lizzy," she continued, "I think it is important that you wear the combs tonight. It will show Miss Darcy that you understand their significance and that you value her regard and her gift."

"You are right, of course, Aunt. Georgiana would probably be disappointed if I did not wear them."

Her aunt suggested they take their tea in the garden hoping to distract Elizabeth. Mrs. Gardiner intentionally kept the conversation light, talking of their family, a new dressmaker she was most eager to try, anything and everything--except Mr. Darcy. It did help. Elizabeth was much more composed when she went upstairs to change.

When Elizabeth was satisfied with her appearance, she joined her aunt and uncle in the parlor to await the carriage Darcy had insisted on sending for them--despite Mr. Gardiner's assurances that it was not necessary. They were somewhat surprised when the gentleman himself arrived with the carriage. Determined to show Elizabeth every possible attention, Darcy had come to escort her and her family to his home.

His eyes lit up at the sight of his mother's combs in his beloved's hair, and Darcy whispered, "You look very beautiful tonight, dearest," as he helped Elizabeth into the carriage.

Having resolved to befriend Miss Darcy, Mrs. Gardiner concentrated on drawing her out over dinner, and the amiable Mr. Gardiner followed his wife's lead. Not only did Georgiana blossom under their gentle attention, but it also resulted in Darcy and Elizabeth having ample opportunity for relatively private conversation during the meal. At one point when their companions were particularly animated, Darcy went so far as to reach for Elizabeth's hand under the table.

"Thank you, Elizabeth," he whispered.

"For what, Mr. Darcy?" she whispered in reply

"For making my life worth living."

Darcy thought that if they had been truly alone, he might have had the courage to ask her to marry him in that moment. Elizabeth had not shied away from his grasp under the table and the look she gave him bespoke her affection, but alas, they were not alone.

There was little conversation between the two of them for the rest of the evening. What remained unsaid loomed as too great a barrier to span with small talk, but there was some degree of comfort in simply being together.

Elizabeth retired for the night immediately upon returning to Gracechurch Street, but she tossed and turned for some time, longing for sleep that would not come. Across town Darcy also found sleep elusive. Fortunately for both, Mr. Gardiner had decided it was time to intervene.


****


Darcy was astonished the following morning when Simms announced that Mr. Gardiner was downstairs asking for him. He panicked at the thought that something might have happened to Elizabeth.

"Certainly, Simms. Have someone show him into the library and tell Mr. Gardiner I will be right down."

Mr. Simms nervously cleared his throat and said, "Knowing that Mr. Gardiner is Miss Bennet's uncle, I already took the liberty of telling Parker to admit him to the house, sir. The gentleman is awaiting you in the library even now. He expressed his hope that you would be able to see him, but sends assurances of his understanding if it is not possible today."

"Quick, Simms, my coat. I must find out what has happened."

Darcy hurried downstairs donning his coat as he went. Upon entering the library he was both surprised and reassured by Mr. Gardiner's usual cheerful expression.

"Good morning, Mr. Darcy. I am delighted that you are able to spare me some time this morning."

Darcy silently chided himself for assuming the worst and tried to focus on his guest. "On the contrary, Mr. Gardiner, I am happy to see you again. How may I assist you?"

"Actually, Mr. Darcy, I am here with the aspiration that I may be of assistance to you. I hope you will not think me presumptuous, but I would like to speak with you about Lizzy."

"Is she well, sir?"

"Pray do not alarm yourself, Mr. Darcy. Lizzy was quite well when I left home this morning and I am certain she continues to be well. Please--may I speak frankly, Mr. Darcy?"

"Of course, Mr. Gardiner, I would willingly hear anything you have to tell me of your niece. Miss Bennet is very important to me."

"Yes, Mr. Darcy, my wife and I are both well aware of your regard for our niece and that is why I would hope to be of use to you."

Darcy was almost in a panic. He could not determine where Mr. Gardiner was going with this round about conversation. "I hope you do not disapprove, sir. I would be reluctant to cause dissention in Miss Bennet's family.

"Oh, no, Mr. Darcy, quite the opposite. My wife and I are both impressed by the obvious depth of your feelings for Lizzy and we are eager to secure her happiness. Normally, I would never presume to interfere in such a personal matter, but knowing something of the unusual history between you, I was concerned that you might be hesitant to speak to Lizzy again after the vehemence of her earlier refusal. I am here to encourage you that, if and when you are ready, I think you would be safe in speaking to my niece."

Darcy's face lit up. "Do you mean to say that you think she would accept me, Mr. Gardiner?"

"I would not be here, Mr. Darcy, were I not confident that Lizzy returns your regard."

Darcy reached out to shake the older man's hand. "Words cannot express my gratitude, Mr. Gardiner. I have feared Miss Bennet would be required at home before we reached an understanding, but I was also fearful of speaking too soon. Thank you, sir. May I call upon her this afternoon?"

"I believe it is safe to say that my wife and niece would welcome you at any time, Mr. Darcy. I am happy that we understand one another. I must confess I have also dreaded the prospect of Lizzy returning to Longbourn before everything is settled between you. My sister is not the most sensitive of mothers and she does not understand her second daughter at all. I have been apprehensive that she might make Lizzy truly miserable if another Mr. Collins came along."

"Mr. Collins? Do you mean that he actually proposed to Eliz--Miss Bennet? I cannot believe her mother wanted her to marry such a man."

"Yes," said Mr. Gardiner with a sigh, "it was a difficult time for Lizzy and a repeat of that is what I would wish to prevent."

Darcy nodded his understanding as he said, "I am most eager to marry your niece, sir. May I request your assistance in a related matter, Mr. Gardiner?"

"Why certainly, Mr. Darcy, I would be happy to assist you in any way possible."

"I am thinking of Mr. Bennet, sir. As I am unable to journey into Hertfordshire in the immediate future, I would wish to write for his consent as soon as Elizabeth--please forgive me, sir--as soon as Miss Bennet has accepted me. I am not well acquainted with Mr. Bennet, sir, and fear that I did not make the best impression upon Meryton in general last fall. Could you-- Would you, perhaps, assure Mr. Bennet of your approval of the match?"

"I understand your concerns, Mr. Darcy, and would be happy to oblige. My Brother Bennet is not an easy man to know, but he loves Lizzy dearly. When he is assured of her happiness, he will give his consent. Perhaps, when you are ready to approach Mr. Bennet, you might let me send your letter along with one of my own. He may still have questions, but I think that will help ease your way."

When they parted, both gentlemen were well pleased with their conversation. Darcy immediately began planning how he would propose to Elizabeth. He would do it right this time and hopefully, he would receive a very different answer. Darcy went to his private study and opened the safe. He carefully removed a small ring box. It was the last thing his mother had given him, explaining that one day he would give it to his wife. Hopefully, this ring would be on Elizabeth's hand before the day was out. Darcy was soon in the carriage on his way to Gracechurch Street.

Georgiana and Fitzwilliam had both protested his going out alone, but Darcy would brook no argument. Neither of them missed his look of determination, but it was Georgiana who noticed the tell tale bulge of the ring box in his waistcoat pocket. Realizing what Darcy was about, she had hurried their cousin away on an unnecessary errand insisting that she could deal with her brother. Darcy steeled himself for an argument, but as soon as they were alone Georgiana embraced him and kissed his cheek.

"Do be careful, Fitzwilliam. I am delighted that while securing your own happiness you will also be securing a wonderful sister for me. Do not overexert yourself, but do not come home until mother's ring is on Elizabeth's hand."

Darcy wondered how she had so easily guessed his purpose, but he was too anxious to see Elizabeth to discuss that now. There would be time to quiz his sister later.

When Darcy alit from his carriage at the Gardiners' he could hear Elizabeth's voice coming from the back garden. Without a thought he followed the sound and soon was faced with a very charming sight. Elizabeth was seated on a bench with her two little cousins snuggled up, one on either side. She was reading to them from Perrault's Cendrillon. Darcy knew the story well. Cendrillon or Cinderella had been one of Georgiana's favorites when she was younger. He had, of course, always just told her the story, thinking the French language would confuse her. Seeing Elizabeth with her cousins, Darcy realized he had been wrong. The two little Gardiners were transfixed as Elizabeth read to them from the original French. She would stop every so often to explain the plot in English or to ask them questions about the story. It was obvious they were taking in much of the French. They also seemed to be captivated by the sound of the language itself. Darcy stood there for some minutes as if enchanted. It was young Peter who first espied him.

"Cousin Lizzy, who is that man? Do we know him?"

Emma seeing the tall, handsome stranger standing by the garden gate immediately answered, "Why he is the prince, of course, right, Lizzy?"

Elizabeth smiled and blushed as she wondered how to answer such questions.

Darcy spoke first. "Good afternoon, Miss Gardiner and Master Gardiner, I presume."

The children giggled to be addressed in such a grown up way, and Elizabeth found her tongue.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Darcy. Yes, these are my cousins Emma and Peter. Children, this is Mr. Darcy."

"Well, then Emma and Peter, I am quite delighted to meet you both. I am also pleased that you are feeling better. My name is Fitzwilliam Darcy. I am not a prince, but I am like the prince in one way. Can you guess how?"

"Do you have a castle?" Peter asked quite wide-eyed.

"No, no castle, but I do have a very nice house across town and a big, old house in the country with a pond and a trout stream. Would you like to come and visit me there sometime?"

"Yes, sir." Peter thought a pond and a trout stream sounded much better than a castle.

Enjoying the children, Darcy continued the game. "Do you have any other guesses how I might be like the prince in the story?"

"Are you very rich, sir?" asked Emma.

Darcy laughed at her honest question. "Well, some people might say that I am, but I am not nearly so rich as a prince. Do you have another guess?"

Emma thought for a moment. "Are there a lot of ladies fighting over you?"

Elizabeth stifled a laugh as Darcy blushed. He decided to sidestep this particular question. "I do not think ladies fight, Emma. What about another guess?"

By this time Elizabeth was quite curious herself, but she silently waited for Mr. Darcy's answer.

Darcy found himself gazing at Elizabeth even as he continued to talk to the children. "I will give you a hint. What was the prince looking for when he rode through the land?"

"Cendrillon!" Peter cried triumphantly.

"But he did not know her name yet, silly." Emma chided.

"You have guessed it, Peter. The prince was looking for the one woman in all the world who could make him happy. He was looking for his bride. Like the prince, I have come here today in search of a bride." Darcy fixed his eyes on the children, afraid to look at Elizabeth now. "Have you heard this story before?"

Both children nodded seriously.

"Well, then, perhaps you can help me. Just how did the prince know that Cendrillon was the right young lady for him?"

Emma was only too happy to help the handsome Mr. Darcy. "Everybody knows that. Cendrillon lost her slipper and he carried it in his pocket, because he knew that when he found the lady whose foot fit the slipper, she would be the right one.

"It was a glass slipper." Peter added, eager to also be of use. "Cendrillon's glass slipper. I am sure she was glad to get it back. What would you do with one shoe?"

Darcy laughed. "An excellent point, Peter. I do not have a slipper in my pocket, but I do have something else. Something that I think might fit the lady who is right for me. Are there any single young ladies here today?"

The children both giggled and Peter happily answered, "Only Lizzy."

"Well, perhaps she is the right one for me."

Abandoning all dignity, Fitzwilliam Darcy knelt down before the woman he adored and took his mother's ring from his pocket.

"I know I have not given you much time, and I hope this is not too soon, dearest." He gently took Elizabeth's hand and continued, "Elizabeth Bennet, I have been in love with you for some months now and it seems that every time I see you, I love you more. I know that I do not deserve you, but I need you, Lizzy. Please say that you will marry me. Please say yes."

Darcy slowly slid the ring onto her finger as he looked up at her with eyes full of love and hope. Elizabeth found it almost impossible to speak, but she managed to whisper the one word he was longing to hear.

"Yes," she whispered, "Yes."

The children had watched this in wide-eyed wonder. Now Peter broke the spell. "So are you really going to marry him, Lizzy, or is this just pretend?"

Finding her voice again, Elizabeth hastened to reassure Mr. Darcy as well as her cousins. "No, Peter, this is not pretend. It is quite real. I am going to marry Mr. Darcy."

Unable to take his eyes off her, Darcy slowly rose and dusted off his knees.

Emma, remembering her manners and feeling she must set the example for Peter since he was younger and a boy, rose and curtseyed very prettily. "Welcome to the family, Mr. Darcy." She then whispered hasty instructions to Peter ending with, "--this is important, Peter. Act like you know what's what."

Determined to do his duty on such a solemn occasion, Peter rose to his feet and bowed, "Congratulations, Mr. Darcy. Lizzy is my favorite cousin so I am sure she will be a very nice wife, too. She can run and climb trees almost as good as a boy, and Lizzy doesn't scream when you show her a nice frog so you need not be afraid of her scaring the fish away from your trout stream."

Darcy maintained a serious expression with considerable effort. "Thank you, Peter. That is very good news indeed. So I have your blessing then?"

"Yes, sir," Peter said, "I think you and Lizzy will do well together. After all the ring fits her, and that is almost as good as a glass slipper."

Wanting Darcy all to herself, Elizabeth said, "Would you two please run in and tell your mama that Mr. Darcy is here? I want to talk to him for a bit and then we will be in."

"Yes, Lizzy." Emma answered sweetly. She scampered away anxious to tell her mama all about Mr. Darcy.

As he followed his sister toward the house, Peter turned back to whisper loudly, "She really does like frogs, Mr. Darcy. It's true." He grinned happily and followed Emma inside.

"Will you sit with me, sir?"

"Only if you will stop calling me 'sir' when we are alone, Elizabeth. My name is Fitzwilliam."

Elizabeth colored with pleasure as she teased, "Perhaps I should simply refer to you as the prince since you have so much in common."

"This is not pretend," Darcy began and then hesitated as he gazed into her eyes searching for reassurance. "It is real, is it not, Elizabeth? You did just agree to marry me or am I dreaming?"

"Yes, Fitzwilliam, this is real." His name was little more than a whisper from her lips, but it was a sweet sound to Darcy.

Bravely taking his hand, Elizabeth continued. "I have agreed to marry you, sir, and I will do my best not to frighten away the fish."

Darcy laughed, "You are the perfect one for me, my love. I have never been more certain of anything in my life."

They sat in the garden for sometime, content in one another's presence and the newfound peace of their engagement. Finally Elizabeth remembered her aunt.

"Mr. Dar--," she began but seeing his pointed look Elizabeth corrected herself, "I am sorry--Fitzwilliam, my dearest love, I could willingly sit here with you forever. However, I have just realized that my aunt might have gotten a very jumbled report from the children. We had best go inside and set her mind at ease."

When Elizabeth and Darcy found Mrs. Gardiner, she was indeed anxiously awaiting news of what had actually transpired in the garden. The children had seemed quite certain that Lizzy was going to marry Mr. Darcy, but then they were also chattering on about castles and frogs. Maggie had finally taken the children upstairs for a nap, and Mrs. Gardiner was doing her best to wait patiently for the young couple to come inside.

When Elizabeth and Darcy entered the parlor, Mrs. Gardiner knew the children had been correct in the primary point of their news, for the young couple radiated happiness. Mr. Gardiner soon arrived and all was discussed over tea.

Darcy was content to simply watch Elizabeth and hold her hand as she happily related the story of his fairy tale proposal. The Gardiners were sincerely happy for both of them. Mr. Gardiner beamed as his wife kindly invited Darcy to stay for dinner if he were not too tired.

"Thank you, Mrs. Gardiner. I would like that very much. Let me send a message to my sister, and then I would appreciate the use of your study, Mr. Gardiner. I want to write for Mr. Bennet's consent right away."

"Certainly, Mr. Darcy, come with me and we will get all this necessary business accomplished as soon as possible."

Darcy paused to kiss Elizabeth's hand before leaving the room.

"Thank you," he whispered, "for saying yes."

She smiled and squeezed his hand in reply.

Once the gentlemen were gone, Mrs. Gardiner felt free to be more effusive in her best wishes for Elizabeth's happiness. "Oh, my dear, there are few men who would humble themselves to propose a second time and to do so in front of children, the most indiscrete of witnesses. I must confess I like your Mr. Darcy very much, Lizzy. He is a fine man. Now, let me see your ring again. I did not want to gawk at it in front of Mr. Darcy, but it really is quite beautiful."

Elizabeth shyly held out her hand. The ring was a simple but lovely setting of sapphires worked in the old style. Just as the whispered endearments had seemed right coming from Mr. Darcy's lips, his ring felt right on her hand.

In Mr. Gardiner's study, Darcy first wrote a note to his sister.


Dearest Georgiana,
She said, "Yes," and I am now the happiest of men. Mrs. Gardiner has kindly asked me to stay for dinner. I am certain that you can trust me to Elizabeth's care for the evening, but I also promise to be cautious. I will tell the coachman to come back at a relatively early hour for me so that you need not worry.
Thank you, dear sister, for writing to Elizabeth.
Your loving brother,
FD

The letter to Mr. Bennet took considerably longer to write and Mr. Darcy asked Mr. Gardiner's opinion several times. Both men were finally satisfied.


Dear Mr. Bennet,
I am sorry we did not become well acquainted when I was in Hertfordshire last fall. Due to family difficulties I was not in a sociable frame of mind at the time and I am afraid I did not impress the neighborhood favorably. However, I myself was quite impressed by your daughter Miss Elizabeth. From the earliest days of our acquaintance I was drawn to her intelligence, her wit, her liveliness and her integrity. In fact, I was so dazzled by your daughter, sir, that I found it quite impossible to behave normally around her, first in Hertfordshire and then later when we were both visiting in Kent.
As you may know, I proposed to Miss Elizabeth in Kent and she rejected me in no uncertain terms. Not only had I failed to properly win her heart at that time, but she had also been misled regarding my history and my character. Those misunderstandings have been laid to rest and to my great relief your daughter now has a very different opinion of me. Miss Elizabeth accepted my offer of marriage this afternoon. I know that I do not deserve her, sir, but I pledge to you that I will love and treasure her for the rest of my life. I know that she is dear to your heart, and I hope that you will consent to her becoming my wife. Thank you, Mr. Bennet. May God bless you, sir.
Sincerely,
Fitzwilliam Darcy

Mr. Gardiner insisted that Darcy read his letter to Mr. Bennet, as well.


My Dear Brother,
The enclosed missive may come as a surprise to you. It seems that Lizzy and Mr. Darcy were better acquainted than any of us realized. However, Mrs. Gardiner and I have had the opportunity to get to know Mr. Darcy and I offer my endorsement of his suit.
Although Mr. Darcy is somewhat reserved, it is obvious to both of us that he loves Lizzy dearly. It is equally unmistakable that his love is returned. Of course, Mr. Darcy is well able to provide for a wife and children, but more importantly, he is an honorable and intelligent man--someone Lizzy will be able to respect. We are confident that they are well suited to one another. In fact, Mr. Darcy may be the only man of my acquaintance whom I would judge worthy of my dearest niece. I urge you, dear brother, to make their happiness complete by granting them your consent and every blessing for their happiness.
As Mr. Darcy is unable to leave town at present, I would be happy to act on your behalf in regards to the settlements. In fact, I would be delighted to assist you in securing my niece's marriage in any way. Please write to me of your wishes.
Yours truly,
EG

Darcy was touched by Mr. Gardiner's sincere praise. Too many people assumed his annual income was the most important measure of his worth. It warmed Darcy's heart to read that Mr. Gardiner considered him to be worthy of Elizabeth because of his abilities and his love for her--not his fortune.

"Thank you, Mr. Gardiner, for your commendation and support. I shall do all that is in my power to ensure you never regret it."

"I have no fears on that account Mr. Darcy. Now let's get this express off. The sooner my brother writes back, the sooner you may set a wedding date."

Darcy's eyes glowed at the prospect of setting a date for his marriage to Elizabeth. The evening passed all too quickly and it was time for Darcy to return home. After he bid the Gardiners goodnight, Elizabeth walked her intended to the door. Darcy took her hand and kissed it. As he turned her dear hand over to kiss her palm, Elizabeth reached up with the other and lightly touched his cheek. Darcy closed his eyes savoring her touch. She squeezed his hand and then drew back slightly.

"Goodnight, Fitzwilliam," she whispered. "Sleep well, dearest."

"Goodnight, my love. You have made me so very happy."

Elizabeth laughed, "That is only fair, sir, as you have made me happy, too. Please give my regards to your sister. I hope she will rejoice in our news."

"Rest assured, dearest. Georgiana sent me off this afternoon with strict instructions to secure her the sister she has long desired. If you had refused me, I fear I would have been unable to face her."

Elizabeth's expression clouded. Her earlier refusal of Darcy was still an embarrassment to her. Perceiving the cause of Elizabeth's distress, Darcy hastened to reassure her.

"Please do not be unhappy, Elizabeth. I was not thinking of the past. I only meant to tease you about Georgiana's determination to have you for her sister."

"I am sorry, my love," she whispered, "but I cannot think of the past without shame. It may take me some time to forgive myself for how I mistreated you, dear Fitzwilliam."

Darcy lifted her chin until she met his gaze. "You were right to refuse me then, dearest. I was selfish and foolish, but losing you made me realize that I had begun to take on those very attitudes that I find so offensive in others. Were it not for you, I might have been irretrievably lost, but you helped me find my way again."

She smiled at him tenderly. "Please do no reproach yourself for my sake, my love. Let us just be gloriously happy."

He smiled. Then with a whispered, "I love you, Lizzy," he was gone.

Darcy was exhausted by the time he reached home, but he was also happier than he had ever been. He was somewhat relieved to find the downstairs deserted except for a few servants. Darcy had expected Georgiana and Fitzwilliam to be lying in wait for him and so they were. However, Darcy failed to anticipate that they would wait in his room, but there they were, comfortably settled as if prepared to wait all night.

Georgiana immediately moved to embrace him. "Oh, Fitzwilliam, thank you for the note. I was so anxious to know all was well. Please tell me everything."

Colonel Fitzwilliam was right behind her ready to offer his congratulations. "So Miss Bennet has accepted you, Cousin. That is very good news. Congratulations! Now tell Georgiana all the details before her impatience gets the better of her."

Darcy smiled, "Actually if you want to hear all the particulars of the matter, you should wait and ask Elizabeth. She will surely tell it much better than I ever could. I had given considerable consideration to how I might propose to her this time, but when the moment came it was nothing like I had planned. I hope it was better. It was definitely memorable."

"Well, at least tell me where you did it," Georgiana urged. "Did you propose in the parlor? And however did you manage to get her alone?"

"Actually, we were not alone, Georgie. Elizabeth was seated on a bench in the back garden with her little cousins Emma and Peter, one on each side of her. We chatted a bit. It was actually more of a conversation between the children and myself. Elizabeth was rather quiet, and then I knelt down before her and asked her to be my wife. I think the children found it all rather fascinating. They were very charming and welcomed me to the family quite nicely. Peter also assured me that Elizabeth will make an excellent wife, as she is his favorite cousin and has no fear of frogs."

The colonel could not help himself. He shook with laughter. "You actually proposed in front of the Gardiners' children. Oh, Darcy, that's rich. Surely you know that children can remember every detail of any embarrassing incident they have ever witnessed and they tend to bring them up at the most inconvenient times."

Darcy smiled rather smugly. "Ah, but this was not an embarrassing moment. It was one of the most significant events of my life. Besides having the children there gave me two witnesses when she said, 'Yes.' I do not think Elizabeth is harboring any doubts, but should she waver I am not afraid to use her relations against her."

By now Georgiana was laughing, too. "Very well, dear brother, off to bed with you. I see I will have to ask Elizabeth if I am to hear all the details."


****


Georgiana awoke the following morning determined that she would call on her soon-to-be-sister. She was eager to see Elizabeth and hear all about her brother's proposal. When Georgiana informed Darcy of her plans at breakfast, he expressed a natural desire to join her.

Georgiana was surprised at her own boldness when she actually refused him. Only a few weeks earlier she would not have dared to disappoint her brother.

"I understand your desire to accompany me, Fitzwilliam, but I would prefer to visit Elizabeth alone this morning. I know that is selfish of me, but I beg your indulgence. I want to have a sisterly chat with Elizabeth all to myself for a bit. Besides, you should rest. Yesterday was a long day for you and a relapse now would not do."

Seeing her earnestness, Darcy tried to hide his disappointment by teasing her, "Very well, Georgiana, I will stay behind this once, but please do not expect such concessions on a regular basis."

"Thank you, Brother."

"Although we cannot publish our engagement until Mr. Bennet has given his consent, the Gardiners have sanctioned it. Therefore, I think I might be safe in writing Elizabeth a note this morning. Would you mind delivering it for me, Georgie?"

Georgiana was relieved that she could at least allow him this comfort. "Of course, what a wonderful idea. I will come to your study before I depart."

That is how Georgiana came to arrive in Gracechurch Street later that morning with a bouquet of roses and Elizabeth's first love letter.

Having no doubt of Elizabeth's impatience to read her letter, Aunt Gardiner thoughtfully provided her with the privacy to do so after they had greeted Georgiana. "Lizzy, there is a vase in the china closet that would be perfect for your roses. I will keep Miss Darcy company while you go and put them in water. They are so beautiful."

Elizabeth obediently found the vase and saw to the flowers before she sat down in the dining parlor and opened the precious letter with trembling hands.


Elizabeth, my dearest love,
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course, untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest;
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.
There, now you know that I believe our love to be strong enough to withstand the effects of poetry. Oh, dearest Elizabeth, you have made me the happiest of men by consenting to be my wife. I could scarcely sleep last night for joy. Georgiana was most earnest in her desire "to have you all to herself" this morning. Else I would be by your side at this moment. The roses cannot compare to your beauty, my love, but their softness and their sweetness remind me of you. I eagerly await our next meeting. Until then know that my heart is--
Forever yours,
FD

Had Darcy not written of Georgiana's desire for her company, Elizabeth might have completely forgotten her guest. She secured his letter in her pocket and took a few deep breaths to calm herself before returning to the parlor.

"Here, Lizzy," Aunt Gardiner greeted her, "come and have a cup of tea."

Elizabeth was grateful for the activity as it gave her a few more moments to collect herself. She did not want to neglect Georgiana, but her thoughts were fixed on Darcy. After reading his letter it was impossible not to think of him. Elizabeth did not realize that she was blushing as she recalled his words. However, both her aunt and Georgiana noticed and shared a smile.

When Georgiana shyly entreated Elizabeth to tell her more of Darcy's proposal, Elizabeth said, "I think I should let Emma and Peter tell you about it first."

"Oh, yes, my dear," Mrs. Gardiner agreed as she rang for a servant to fetch the children. "What the children's version lacks in clarity, it more than makes up for in entertainment. Then I will send you girls off to discuss all the details in private."

It was no surprise to Elizabeth or their mother that the children arrived carrying THE book. Although Cendrillon had long been one of their favorite tales, Emma and Peter had thought of little else since seeing the story come to life in their garden the previous afternoon.

Mrs. Gardiner's introduction of the children to Georgiana was all that was proper. She concluded by explaining to the children that this was Mr. Darcy's sister and would soon be Cousin Lizzy's sister, too. The children were obviously impressed by this news.

Handing the book to her mother Emma made a very deep curtsey as she whispered loudly to Peter, "Bow, Peter. This is Prince Darcy's sister."

Peter instantly obeyed and his expression was quite solemn as he bowed deeply to Georgiana. All three ladies managed not to laugh, but it was impossible not to smile.

"Emma, Peter," Lizzy began, "Miss Darcy was asking about how I came to be engaged to her brother. Would you, perhaps, like to tell her what happened in the garden yesterday?"

Both children beamed. Georgiana soon found herself flanked with a young Gardiner on each side and the precious book open on her lap. The young storytellers were most enthusiastic and they delighted in using the book's illustrations to tell the story. Of course, both children hastened to assure their audience that Lizzy was never made to sleep in the fireplace or anything like that.

Georgiana found their story of Darcy as the handsome prince seeking his bride to be most amusing. Peter gravely displayed a drawing of the prince kneeling before Cendrillon as Emma concluded their tale.

"--and that is what the prince--I mean Mr. Darcy did. He knelt down just like in the story. He did not have one of Lizzy's shoes, but he had a ring that worked just as well."

"And it fit, just like it was made for her," Peter chimed in. "So that is how he knew Lizzy is the only girl for him."

Peter assured their guest of the wisdom of Mr. Darcy's choice, much as he had assured the man himself yesterday. While Georgiana knew it mattered not to Darcy if Elizabeth climbed trees or like frogs, she solemnly thanked Peter for his endorsement.

"Thank you, Peter. While I am very fond of your Cousin Lizzy, I had no idea she was so lively. I am very happy to know my brother will have such an entertaining wife. He likes your Cousin Lizzy very much, Peter, and so do I."

Eager to assure Georgiana that Elizabeth would be excellent company for her, too, Emma said, "But do not worry, Miss Darcy. Lizzy is a perfect lady. She helps me care for my dolls and Lizzy is delightful company at tea parties."

Georgiana graciously thanked Emma. As she was obviously enjoying the children's company, Mrs. Gardiner allowed them to prattle on a bit before dismissing them.

"I think it is time for you two to return to the nursery now. Lizzy, it is such a fine morning. May I suggest you take Miss Darcy out into the garden? No one will disturb you there, and perhaps, she would like to see the spot where her brother proposed."

"Thank you, Mrs. Gardiner. I would like that very much if it is agreeable to you, Elizabeth."

"I think it is a fine idea." Although Elizabeth was happy beyond words, the children's enthusiastic telling of her own personal fairy tale come to life had calmed her nerves. She was now able to focus on Georgiana and fully enjoy the visit.

Emma and Peter's narrative to Georgiana had actually been much more coherent than the version told to their mother the previous day. This was the result of practice. The children had told the story of Cousin Lizzy-Cendrillon and Prince Darcy to anyone who would listen. All the servants had heard the tale at least twice. Emma and Peter had also found considerable amusement in telling the story to each other repeatedly. Not to detract from the children's narrative talents, but it should also be noted that Georgiana had the distinct advantage of knowing the conclusion of the story before they began.


****


When they were alone, Georgiana encouraged Elizabeth to tell her more of Darcy's proposal. Her heart was touched by the tender expression that stole over Elizabeth's face as she spoke.

"--If he had not already made my heart is own, seeing Fitzwilliam with the children yesterday would have vanquished any uncertainties. He is truly an amazing man." Elizabeth sighed before continuing, "I am so fortunate to have gained his affections."

"You have made my brother very happy, Elizabeth," said Georgiana quickly looking away.

Concerned by Georgiana's sudden solemnity, Elizabeth gently inquired, "And what of you, Georgiana? Are you not happy at this news?"

Georgiana turned back to Elizabeth with tears in her eyes and hastened to reassure her. "Oh, forgive me, Elizabeth. I could not be more pleased that you will be my sister and I have never seen Fitzwilliam so happy. I am delighted for all three of us. What saddens me is my own foolishness--"

Elizabeth suspected this might be a reference to Wickham, but she certainly did not want to address that unhappy topic if Georgiana were referring to something else. She squeezed Georgiana's hand encouragingly and waited.

After a moment's thought, Georgiana began, "Elizabeth, do you remember when I asked if you had ever been in love before?"

"Of course, surely you do not fear that I have accepted your brother without returning his affections?"

"No, not at all, Elizabeth. Your regard for Fitzwilliam-- Well, it is almost as obvious as his regard for you."

Elizabeth blushed with pleasure. "I am happy that you understand my feelings, but please tell me what troubles you, Georgie?"

"When I asked you about love that night--there was something more I wanted to discuss with you, but I was uncertain if-- Both Fitzwilliam and Richard had cautioned me not to speak of it."

Georgiana paused again to gather her courage before continuing, "Now that you are to be my sister, I think I may speak of it to you. In fact, I feel that I must--"

Taking Georgiana's hand between her own, Elizabeth hesitantly asked, "Georgiana, are you referring to Mr. Wickham?"

She gasped in surprise and nodded before whispering, "But how do you know--about him?"

Elizabeth immediately reassured Georgiana that her secret was safe and then went on to explain, "--I hope you are not angry, Georgie. Your brother informed me of Mr. Wickham's attempt to--lure you into an elopement, because--Fitzwilliam was concerned that I, too, might be deceived by the man."

"You, Elizabeth?"

"Yes, me, Georgiana," Elizabeth confessed. It was humiliating to admit just how wrong she had been, but Elizabeth forced herself to continue for Georgiana's sake, "Mr. Wickham has been in Hertfordshire since last fall with the militia. He has made himself generally well liked--you know how charming he can be. Anyway, Mr. Wickham had exhibited some preference for me and while I did not believe him to have any serious intentions towards me, I liked him. I am ashamed to admit that I believed some scandalous falsehoods he told me of your brother. That is part of why I thought so ill of Fitzwilliam earlier in our acquaintance. Your brother only told me of your unhappy experience because he feared Mr. Wickham might injure me as well. I hope that does not upset you."

Georgiana's voice was barely audible, but she gripped Elizabeth's hand tightly. "No, Elizabeth, I am glad. I have wanted to talk to you about this, but I was afraid you would despise me for being so foolish."

"Do not think such things, Georgie. I could never despise you. You are everything I could hope for in a sister, but I must confess that I do despise Mr. Wickham. He deserves no less."

Georgiana had never allowed herself to speak freely of Wickham to either of her guardians. Clearly her brother blamed himself for the incident and Georgiana feared any further discussions with her cousin on the matter would lead to a duel. Her fears were not without foundation for it had taken considerable effort to avert such a disaster when the colonel first learned of her near miss. Sensing Georgiana's desperate need to unburden herself. Elizabeth encouraged her to speak as she as she would without restraint.

Once she was able to make a start, it all came pouring out--the joy of thinking she was loved, the disappointment, the fear she was to blame-- Georgiana found herself telling Elizabeth things she had previously refused to acknowledge. Elizabeth well understood the comfort of unburdening oneself freely--how often had she confessed all to Jane--so she simply listened with silent tears of compassion brimming in her eyes. When it seemed that Georgiana had run out of words at last, Elizabeth took the girl's hands in her own. Knowing that confession required absolution, Elizabeth desperately prayed for words that would ease Georgiana's torment.

"Please look at me, Georgiana, for I must know that you understand me." Georgiana hesitantly raised her eyes to meet Elizabeth's.

"Thank you for trusting me," Elizabeth began. "I hope your faith in me is such that you will believe what I tell you now. This is not your fault. You are a beautiful young woman--beautiful inside and out. Your loving nature causes you to believe the best of people and that is a very wonderful thing. Mr. Wickham, however, is unscrupulous and he took advantage of your generous spirit and your naivete.

"Please hear me Georgiana. While it may be said that you are no longer quite so naive, Mr. Wickham did not steal your innocence. You wisely protected yourself by confiding in your brother. Your innocence and your heart still wait for someone who will truly love you. Can you accept that?"

"Oh, Elizabeth, I want to. I have been so worried that no respectable man would want me after what I almost did."

"Georgie, any decent man who cares for you will be outraged on your behalf. He will not blame you, just as your brother and your cousin do not blame you." Elizabeth found herself blushing at her next thought, but forced herself to speak it for Georgiana's sake. "Think of your brother's generosity towards me. Fitzwilliam refuses to blame me for the wrong I truly did to him. Do you think he would blame me so unjustly for an injury done to me by another?"

"No, of course not, Fitzwilliam loves you, Elizabeth--" Georgiana paused as true comprehension began to dawn. In relief she hugged Elizabeth tightly. "Oh, thank you, Elizabeth. I understand."

Darcy was struck by the change in his sister when she returned home. Although her spirits had been somewhat improved of late, Georgiana suddenly seemed completely happy and free of care. She had not been so jubilant since the incident with Wickham. Knowing that somehow Elizabeth was behind this, Darcy thought he would not be able to contain his emotion.

"I can tell your visit went well, Georgie. You are obviously quite happy."

"Oh, yes, Fitzwilliam, or perhaps I should call you Prince Darcy now," she teased.

"Let me guess--you met Emma and Peter."

"I did and it was delightful. They told the tale of your proposal quite charmingly although I think Peter still regrets that you did not have one of Elizabeth's shoes in your pocket. Emma, on the other hand, was quite pleased by the ring."

Darcy threw back his head and laughed. "Oh, Georgiana, we have been too solemn, for too long. Elizabeth is just what we have needed."

"Yes, she is, dear brother. She not only has brought laughter back into our lives, but your Elizabeth has also helped me to put last year's unhappiness behind me."

Reaching out to take his sister's hand, Darcy whispered, "Wickham?"

"Yes, Fitzwilliam, Wickham. While I may despise him forever--which Elizabeth assures me is quite proper--you need not be afraid for me. Elizabeth helped me to see things differently and I no longer feel so burdened by it."

Darcy embraced her, "That is very good news, Georgiana. I have been so worried, but I am afraid I have not been of much assistance to you."

She drew back to look into his eyes. "That is not true, dear brother. Mr. Wickham may have taken advantage of my naivete, but you protected my innocence, something for which I will forever be grateful."

Darcy was taken aback. He had never thought of it that way. He had been too consumed by guilt and worry over the incident to fully appreciate how little lasting harm was done. Seeing Georgiana's sincerity, Darcy nodded his understanding.

She continued with a smile, "Because of you, Fitzwilliam, my life was not ruined and I hope to one day wed a worthy man who will love me as you love Elizabeth. We have wasted too much time fretting over George Wickham. I, for one, do not intend to make that mistake in the future."

Not trusting himself to speak, Darcy nodded and embraced her again. After a moment, Georgiana pulled away and spoke teasingly.

"I just remembered that I have something in my pocket for you--something that will make you smile, brother dear."

Seeing the eager expression in his eyes, Georgiana laughed, "Yes, Fitzwilliam, I have a note for you from Elizabeth." Reaching into one pocket, she murmured, "Now what did I do with it, I thought it was right here."

She then tried her other pocket, "Maybe-- No it's not here either."

Seeing Darcy's impatience, Georgiana simply smiled, "Oh, do not worry, Fitzwilliam, I am only teasing you. Here it is."

She produced the precious letter from the first pocket she had searched. Darcy took the note into his hands and gazed at it with wonder. Georgiana could not resist a final giggle as she walked toward the door.

"I will leave you to read your letter in privacy, brother. By the way we are invited to the Gardiners' for dinner this evening."

Darcy flashed his sister a huge smile and then settled into his chair to read Elizabeth's letter.


Dearest Fitzwilliam,
I must confess I was surprised to receive your letter this morning. I had not considered all the advantages of being engaged until Georgiana made her deliveries. Thank you for the flowers and for the beautiful letter. Although I would rather have you than all the love letters in the world, it is something I will always treasure. Your confidence in the strength of our love is well placed, dearest, as your selection of poetry only seemed to increase my ardor for you.
I had hoped to see you this morning, but you were wise to allow Georgiana to come alone. A degree of closeness had already developed between us, but I think in some ways we truly became sisters today as Georgiana talked to me of last year's difficulties. Please do not be upset that she confided in me or that I could offer her a type of comfort you could not.
You have always taken excellent care of Georgiana, a fact of which she is very appreciative. However, to be blunt, you are a man, dearest Fitzwilliam. I am very glad that is so, my love, as it works out quite nicely for us. But while you are the best of brothers, Georgie was missing the type of comfort and understanding that only another woman can give. I was very gratified that she chose to confide in me and that she seemed to be less oppressed afterwards. I hope you will be happy, too.
I would be most remiss if I closed this letter without assuring you of my love and devotion. While the children have been most amusing with their continual retelling of the story of Cendrillon, which is now also known as Cousin Lizzy and Prince Darcy, I do truly feel as if I am in a fairy tale come to life. When we parted in April, who could have thought it would end so happily? While I did not always love you so, I can no longer imagine my life without you, dearest Fitzwilliam. I will be counting the minutes until I see you again.
Your own,
Elizabeth

Darcy kissed the letter before sliding it carefully into his coat pocket, glad to know that he would see her in just a few hours. He smiled thinking of how she had signed the letter, "Your own Elizabeth." Yes, she was his own, or very soon would be.


Copyright 2007 Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next