Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next
They love indeed who quake to say they love.
SIR PHILIP SIDNEY, "Sonnet LIV"


Chapter Three


It was late afternoon when Elizabeth awoke. Although she appreciated the much-needed rest, Elizabeth felt as if she had neglected her family while staying with the Darcys and was now eager to atone for her absence. Finding Aunt Gardiner in with the children. Elizabeth offered to relieve her.

"Are you certain you feel well enough, Lizzy? You still look a little tired."

"I must admit that I was exhausted when I came home this morning, but I feel much better now, Aunt. Thank you for allowing me to sleep so long."

Mrs. Gardiner smiled to hear Elizabeth refer to Gracechurch Street as "home." Although the Gardiners loved all their nieces, Elizabeth was their particular favorite. It was sometimes difficult for them to see her return to Longbourn, knowing how little her abilities were appreciated by most of her immediate family.

By happy coincidence Emma and Peter had just finished their naps, too, and were anxious for amusement. Cousin Lizzy was their favorite storyteller because she always did the voices just right. After some negotiation the children settled on a story and Elizabeth was soon seated between them with the chosen storybook in her lap. Mrs. Gardiner smiled at the pretty picture they made and left to see to her other duties.

When she returned an hour later, all three were sound asleep, still snuggled together on Emma's bed. Mrs. Gardiner nodded with satisfaction and quietly slipped away.

****

Elizabeth enjoyed dinner with her aunt and uncle that evening. They talked easily about everything except the topic that was uppermost on everyone's mind. Mr. Gardiner waited until they were comfortably settled in the parlor afterwards to broach the subject of Mr. Darcy.

"So, Lizzy, I think it is time we talked about Mr. Darcy. There is obviously a great deal that we do not know about your relationship with the man. As I recall, there was a time when you disliked him quite decidedly. I do not mean to pry, my dear, but I would like to know what has happened to change your opinion of him?"

"Oh, Uncle, I am ashamed to admit my own foolishness. I did dislike Mr. Darcy, or rather I disliked the false impression I had of him. In truth I did not know him at all. I chanced to overhear Mr. Darcy make a silly, thoughtless remark at the beginning of our acquaintance that offended me, and I unwisely allowed that one comment to prejudice me against him entirely. I am having difficulty forgiving myself for having treated him so unfairly."

Mr. Gardiner smiled. "Well, I think it is safe to say that Mr. Darcy has forgiven you. If the man was asking for you as he lay near death, he must hold you in very high esteem, Lizzy."

"Yes, Uncle, he does." Elizabeth blushed as she answered. She then took a deep breath and continued her explanation. "As you may recall, our paths crossed again several months ago. Mr. Darcy and Colonel Fitzwilliam were visiting their aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh at the same time that I was visiting Charlotte Collins. As Mr. Collins is Lady Catherine's parson, there is frequent intercourse between the households and we were much thrown together. What I have not told you--in fact, I have told no one save Jane--is that while we were in Kent, Mr. Darcy made me an offer of marriage."

"Marriage?" Aunt Gardiner gasped. Having grown up in Derbyshire, she understood just how powerful and wealthy the Darcy family was. That such a man had proposed to her favorite niece was gratifying, but somewhat surprising.

"But, Lizzy, you have not been secretly engaged to Mr. Darcy all this time, have you?"

"No, Aunt, at the time I was still foolishly persisting in my dislike of Mr. Darcy. I refused him, and I was most ungracious in my refusal. I allowed my temper to be ruled by my prejudice and I upbraided Mr. Darcy unjustly. It was only afterwards that I learned how wrong I had been about everything."

When Elizabeth lapsed into silence her uncle prompted her to continue, "What do you mean by 'everything,' Lizzy?"

"You both know how I believed Mr. Wickham's charges against Mr. Darcy without question." Elizabeth actually shuddered at the thought of Wickham's perfidy. "They were all lies. The only one who has behaved infamously is Mr. Wickham. I was so mortified to learn of how wrong I had been."

The Gardiners were both relieved to hear this. They had been suspicious of Wickham's eagerness to share such a private history with relative strangers. It was reassuring to know that Elizabeth would no longer think of such a man as charming.

Once Elizabeth had begun, she felt the need to confide everything in her beloved aunt and uncle. "I have been most distressed since that time over how I injured Mr. Darcy. I wanted to make amends but did not know how. After all, it seemed unlikely that we would even meet again. However, the very day that I received your letter, Aunt, Colonel Fitzwilliam came to Longbourn. He made it seem as if he were in the area on business, but he actually brought me a letter from Miss Darcy. Although we had not been introduced, she wrote to implore me to come to London if at all possible. Their physician had told her Mr. Darcy might not survive. Faced with losing her only family, she was desperate enough to try anything that might strengthen her brother's resolve to live."

The Gardiners waited in silence, not wanting to make this more difficult for her. Elizabeth stood up and began to pace, wringing her hands as she continued.

"Evidently Mr. Darcy had been quite unhappy since his return from Kent. Colonel Fitzwilliam had pried the truth from him of his proposal and my refusal, and Miss Darcy felt that his unhappiness over me was part of why Mr. Darcy had succumbed so quickly to the fever. She hoped that if he knew that I no longer thought so ill of him--if he knew that I had forgiven him--then perhaps her brother might be strengthened and recover."

Elizabeth stopped her pacing and turned to face them, "Her letter and yours arriving on the same day--it seemed like fate or divine providence. I felt that I must come and do what I could to right the wrong I had done to Mr. Darcy. I still did not know how I could possibly call on the Darcys, but then Georgiana sent that note the second morning I was here. You read it, Aunt, and agreed that kindness demanded I go."

Aunt Gardiner nodded while Uncle Gardiner prompted her to continue, "But what of your time at the Darcys' home, Lizzy? Will you tell us what happened there?"

Elizabeth was a gifted storyteller and the Gardiners found themselves riveted as she described the events of the last two days. They were both deeply moved by her description of Mr. Darcy's pitiful condition upon her arrival. Elizabeth was too wrapped up in her own thoughts to notice the significant glance her aunt and uncle exchanged when she spoke of the change in Mr. Darcy's condition upon realizing she was there.

"--It was distressing to see him so gravely ill, but as we talked Mr. Darcy seemed to become more and more like himself. He should rightly despise me for the way I misjudged him, but he was very kind and gentlemanlike." Elizabeth's face was suffused with tenderness as she remembered Mr. Darcy's gentleness toward her. "His concern was for my distress. He did not even want me to apologize, but I felt that I must. When Mr. Darcy promised me that all would be well, I knew he spoke the truth."

Elizabeth paused to wipe her eyes and then she smiled at her aunt and uncle. "I wish I could describe the joy on his sister's face when she saw that he was truly better. I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. We all visited together for a while and then Georgiana--Miss Darcy was walking me out when she nearly fainted."

The Gardiners nodded in silent sympathy. Aunt Gardiner reached out for Elizabeth's hand and drew her down to sit beside her. She embraced her niece and gently patted her back.

"There, there, Lizzy. I know it must have been quite an ordeal for you."

When Elizabeth had cried herself out, she took the handkerchief her uncle silently offered as her own was soaked through.

"Thank you for allowing me to stay with her, Aunt. Mr. Darcy was clearly not well enough to care for his sister and I do not think the colonel would have the least idea how to nurse someone. There were only two servants in the house who had already had the fever. No, I just could not leave her. Her gentle disposition reminds me so much of Jane."

The Gardiners listened with great interest as Elizabeth gave a rambling account of her time with the Darcys. Interwoven with her anxiety over Darcy and Georgiana were the happier memories of bedside picnics and congenial conversations. Elizabeth's imitation of Grace elicited delighted chuckles from both Gardiners. Finally she told them of Mr. Darcy's humble request for permission to call upon her at Gracechurch Street.

"Well, Lizzy," said her uncle, "it sounds as if you think very highly of Mr. Darcy now."

"I do, sir. Mr. Darcy has made it plain that he still loves me and while I cannot say that I fully return those feelings, I do find myself drawn to him. I am surprisingly anxious to know more of him. I think that I have always respected Mr. Darcy's intelligence, but having seen the high regard his servants have for him--his concern for his sister-- Well, I realize now that Mr. Darcy is also a man of deep feeling and great integrity. I hope that I will be able to stay with you for some time, as I would like to further our acquaintance. Mr. Darcy would willingly travel to Hertfordshire to see me, but I do not wish to raise anyone else's expectations before I have determined my own mind in this."

Mr. Gardiner immediately understood and shared Elizabeth's concerns, for it was clearly her mother's expectations she feared. He shuddered to think of his sister's response if she knew that Elizabeth had refused an offer of marriage from a man of Darcy's consequence. She had already tried to force Elizabeth to marry that imbecile Collins. His sister would be capable of almost anything to see her daughter married to Darcy. Mr. Gardiner readily assured Elizabeth that she was welcome to remain in their home for the foreseeable future.

Aunt Gardiner nodded her agreement and added, "I must confess, Lizzy, that I am anxious to become acquainted with Mr. Darcy myself. When do you think we might expect him to call?"

Smiling slightly Elizabeth answered, "The doctor has said he is not to leave the house for at least a week, but knowing Mr. Darcy, I think we may see him sooner."

It was Elizabeth's intention to stay the night with her cousins; her aunt, however, would not hear of it. "You have had a very trying time, my dear, and we can certainly manage tonight without your assistance. Rest well and perhaps I will allow you to stay with the children tomorrow night."

Elizabeth was too exhausted to protest and gratefully returned to her room. Although she was soon in bed, it was quite some time before Elizabeth could sleep. Her mind was awhirl with thoughts of Darcy--the touch of his lips to her hand--hearing him address her as "dearest" and even "my love." Elizabeth had never known a man to be so affectionate--so romantic. It was like one of the beautiful fairy tales she had loved as a girl, but perhaps this was real. Finally, fatigue overtook her and Elizabeth slept.

It is only fair to report that Darcy also found sleep to be elusive that night. He had already grown accustomed to Elizabeth being in his home and it seemed empty without her. Darcy knew he would not be able to wait the doctor's prescribed week to call on her, and, therefore, determined that he simply must recover quickly. Georgiana was very sympathetic as was the colonel. However, when the servants began to give him pitying glances, Darcy realized that his feelings must truly be apparent to everyone.

Grace had even gone so far as to say, "I know you miss the young miss, sir. We all do. She made everything seem cheery like, did she not, sir? But there is nothing for it. You must get better so that you can court the lady proper like. That will be a happy day, will it not, sir? Yes, sir, a shining day that will be."

Darcy was extremely grateful that the maid did not seem to require a response, for he had no idea how to answer such a speech. Although he would not have admitted it, Darcy did find some comfort in Grace's enthusiasm for the subject.

****

Two days after Elizabeth's return to Gracechurch Street, Georgiana entered Darcy's room to find him up and dressed.

"Fitzwilliam, I am glad you are feeling well enough to be up this morning, but you are rather formally attired for resting at home. You look as if you were going out."

"I am, Georgiana." Darcy raised a hand to stop her protest. "No, you may accompany me if you wish, but I have to see Eliz--Miss Bennet today. I am sorry to distress you, but I cannot wait any longer. I simply must see her."

"But what of the doctor's advice, Fitzwilliam?"

"I respect Dr. Abercrombie and I usually try to follow his directives, but this time I cannot. This is Elizabeth, Georgiana. I did not see her at all yesterday, and I find that can bear her absence no longer. I will not be foolish and we need not stay long, but I have to go."

"Then I shall come with you. May we invite Richard along, too? He may prove useful if you over exert yourself."

Smiling at her eagerness to assist him, Darcy readily agreed, "Yes, Georgiana, by all means invite Fitzwilliam along if you wish."

****

Mr. Gardiner happened to be at home that morning and so joined his wife in welcoming their guests. The introductions fell to Mrs. Gardiner and Colonel Fitzwilliam as Elizabeth was above stairs minding the children. While Maggie bustled about in the kitchen preparing tea, Sally hastened to fetch Miss Lizzy and take her place watching Emma and Peter.

Elizabeth had not expected Darcy to stay away for a full week, but she was surprised and pleased that he had come to call so soon. She was at sixes and sevens over seeing him again--excited, yet fearful that he might revert to his previous aloofness--that perhaps Darcy's romantic gallantry would have vanished with his fever.

Her fears that Darcy would be altered proved to be wholly unfounded. When Elizabeth entered the parlor his gaze reflected such warmth and tenderness that she was able to breathe easy again. It was real. He was here and he loved her.

In truth, the gentleman's admiration was plain for all to see. The unguarded affection on his face brought tears to Mrs. Gardiner's eyes. This was the way their Lizzy deserved to be loved, whole-heartedly and unashamedly.

While Mrs. Gardiner's attention was fixed on Darcy, her husband and Colonel Fitzwilliam were both gauging Elizabeth's reaction to this meeting. Neither gentleman was disappointed. In fact, it is difficult to say which of them was more pleased, for Elizabeth's delight at being in Darcy's company once more was unmistakable. She quickly regained her composure and greeted all three of their guests charmingly, but it was evident that Elizabeth's thoughts were centered on Darcy.

All too soon, Colonel Fitzwilliam reminded his cousins that they had best be going. This was Darcy's first major exertion since his illness and the colonel was determined he would not do himself any harm. Georgiana embraced Elizabeth in farewell, and then Darcy stepped forward to take her hand. He kissed it gently and said, "I am most glad to see you, Miss Bennet. I hope we shall meet again very soon."

Discerning that her husband's thoughts mirrored her own, Mrs. Gardiner proceeded to invite their visitors back for dinner the following evening--if Mr. Darcy's health would permit it, of course. The gentleman assured her he was quite well and the invitation was gratefully accepted.

Once they had departed, Elizabeth excused herself to return to the children. Seeing the far away look on their niece's face, her aunt and uncle smiled. Yes, dear Lizzy was in love with Mr. Darcy, and after what they had seen of the gentleman today this idea pleased them both.

****

Upon returning home Darcy was informed that Dr. Abercrombie awaited him in the library. Taking a deep breath, Darcy prepared himself for the doctor's worst. However, Georgiana stopped him before he could start down the hall.

"No, Fitzwilliam, you have already been too active this morning. While you are recovering, you are my responsibility. Cousin, please help him back to bed."

Having given the colonel his orders, Georgiana addressed Darcy once more. "You must rest, dear brother, if you are to be fit for dinner tomorrow. I will speak with the good doctor and then bring him up if he wishes to examine you."

In truth Darcy was too tired to protest. He was grateful for Georgiana's intervention and amazed at her seeming confidence.

"I say, Darcy, I think 'your Elizabeth' is rubbing off on her." Fitzwilliam whispered when they were half way up the stairs.

Darcy merely smiled in response. Georgiana overheard the remark and was flattered as she greatly admired Elizabeth's courage and determination. With a pleased smile, she went to meet Dr. Abercrombie.

The doctor's greeting was terse. He had worked himself up into a full-blown temper white waiting, but was reluctant to release his wrath on the young woman before him. "Miss Darcy, I asked that your brother join me upon your return."

"Please sit down, sir. Yes, the servant relayed your request faithfully, Dr. Abercrombie. However, I thought it best that my brother go right to bed. You may certainly examine him if you wish after we have talked."

"Very well, Miss Darcy, I must admit I was displeased--no, I was angry to learn that your brother was not at home. My instructions were for his welfare. I do not manufacture such restrictions for my own amusement."

"Dr. Abercrombie, I am sorry we have upset you, but my cousin and I accompanied Fitzwilliam to be certain he did not overtax himself. I realize he is still recovering, but I feared that in this instance keeping him home would cause more harm than a carefully supervised morning visit. You will be pleased to know that our little excursion did seem to calm him considerably."

The doctor's expression softened. "Oh--so am I to understand that this was a visit to Miss Bennet?"

Georgiana smiled and nodded, pleased that the doctor had comprehended her meaning. "As you know, Miss Bennet has been very--instrumental in Fitzwilliam's recovery. We managed to keep him home all day yesterday, but my brother was most determined this morning. Feeling that argument and opposition would not sway him for long, I decided it best that we merely assist him to lessen his exertions."

The doctor was impressed by this display of wisdom in one so young. "You are very astute, Miss Georgiana. Mrs. Abercrombie could not have handled it any better."

This was praise indeed for the doctor always exhibited great respect and affection for his wife. Smiling at the young woman before him, the doctor continued in a conspiratorial tone. "So is it your intention to use outings to see Miss Bennet as Darcy's incentive to behave the rest of the time?"

"Precisely, doctor. I hope you will agree to the merits of my plan. One recalcitrant man is more than enough. I should have my hands quite full if you were to oppose me."

The doctor was delighted to see this teasing side in a young woman who was usually far too serious for her age. He actually laughed as he rose and offered her his arm. "Well, Miss Georgiana, let us go and see your brother. May I ask when he is to see Miss Bennet again?"

"Tomorrow evening, sir, provided Fitzwilliam takes care until that time. We have agreed to join Miss Bennet's family for dinner if his health permits."

The more he thought on it, the more impressed Dr. Abercrombie was by Georgiana's strategy. "That should do very well. With such incentive, Darcy will keep still today and tomorrow. Yes, Miss Georgiana, I think your plan is entirely to my satisfaction. However, I may have to play the affronted family doctor with your brother. It is always easier to maneuver a man if he does not realize he is being maneuvered."

Georgiana actually giggled as she said, "I will, of course, bow to your professional judgment, sir."

As Darcy anticipated, Doctor Abercrombie scolded him for going out too soon, but the doctor's reproof was less severe than Darcy had expected. Feeling quite exhausted by the morning's outing, he was grateful for his sister's intervention with the good doctor.

After examining Darcy thoroughly, the doctor announced that he did not think his foolishness had caused any real harm. "I must insist though that you rest for several days at least before making another such attempt."

Darcy's protest was immediate and vehement. "I will rest until tomorrow evening, but then I must be allowed out, sir. It is a most pressing engagement. Please understand that I respect you, Doctor Abercrombie. I am grateful for your attendance, but I must trust my own judgment in this. Even my family realizes it is useless to oppose me."

The doctor was far from displeased. Such a show of strength from his patient was encouraging. With a sly wink to Georgiana, the doctor continued 'playing his part' a little longer. "But what is more important than your health, sir? What cannot wait a week?"

In all earnestness, Darcy replied. "You have met, Miss Bennet, sir. Is she not worth any risk or effort?"

The doctor's compassion was genuine as he relented, "Yes, Mr. Darcy, I do understand."

****

Peter returned to his own bed in the nursery that night and Elizabeth stayed in the sick room with Emma. Once she was assured that Emma was in a natural sleep, Elizabeth crawled under the covers with her. She awoke the next morning with a smile on her face knowing that Mr. Darcy would be coming to dinner that evening.

It was a beautiful morning and with her aunt's permission Elizabeth took both children out into the back garden. She kept them engaged with quiet pursuits, and they responded well to the fresh air and sunshine. When Emma and Peter were both put to bed for a nap after lunch, Mrs. Gardiner asked Elizabeth to join her in the parlor. The two women sat in a comfortable silence for some moments before Mrs. Gardiner brought up the subject she wished to discuss.

"I hope you were not displeased by your uncle inviting the Darcys and Colonel Fitzwilliam to dinner this evening." She smiled to herself as her dearest niece began to blush.

"Oh, no, Aunt. I am sorry for not expressing my gratitude earlier. I appreciate your entertaining--my friends. It is very generous."

"Nonsense, Lizzy. We are happy to do so. All three of them strike me as being well worth knowing and I do not refer to their positions in society. Colonel Fitzwilliam seems an honorable and charming man, and Miss Darcy is such a dear girl that one cannot help but love her. Her brother is also quite disarming but in a very different way. He seems to be quiet and reserved. Yet Mr. Darcy is very open and unguarded in expressing his affection for you, Lizzy. Please do not think I mean this in a critical way. Mr. Darcy's behavior was all that is proper yesterday, but his feelings for you are evident. It makes me happy to see someone love you as you deserved to be loved."

"Then you do think he loves me?"

Her aunt laughed at this foolishness. "Lizzy, I was not born yesterday. One would have to be deaf and blind to miss his obvious affection for you. I think Mr. Darcy will renew his addresses to you as soon as you let him know that it is safe to do so."

"But how would I go about that, Aunt? I would never want to be forward or presumptuous."

"Do not worry, my dear. I doubt that your Mr. Darcy will require a great deal of encouragement beyond what you will offer him quite naturally. You need not concern yourself with stratagems or designs. It will work itself out."

Everyone enjoyed the dinner that evening. Mrs. Gardiner was a gifted hostess. Her natural charm and Mr. Gardiner's warm hospitality quickly put their guests at ease. Elizabeth was delighted for Darcy to become acquainted with her Aunt and Uncle. She knew that the Gardiners' manners and abilities would commend them in any circles. Conversation flowed so easily around the table that even the shy Georgiana entered into the lively discussion.

As the time drew near for the ladies to withdraw, Mr. Gardiner found himself thinking it would be heartless to separate the still convalescing Darcy from Elizabeth for a silly convention.

"Since we are a small informal party, would you gentlemen mind if we adjourn with the ladies instead of remaining behind?"

Darcy's delight with this suggestion was patent, and Colonel Fitzwilliam good-naturedly agreed, "I think that is a fine idea, Mr. Gardiner. What is port compared with the beauty before us?"

Darcy offered Elizabeth his arm as the company moved into the parlor. Seeing that he did look a little pale, she quietly asked, "Are you certain you are well enough to be here, Mr. Darcy? Please do not feel that you must stand on ceremony with my aunt and uncle. They understand you are still recovering."

Pleased by her concern, Darcy whispered, "I am with you, Miss Bennet, therefore, I am well. Do not fret yourself on my behalf."

Elizabeth's smile was warm as she replied, "Well, sir, if you are content to stay, how may we make you most comfortable? Is there a particular seat to your liking?"

Without hesitation Darcy gestured to a settee in the far corner, somewhat removed from the other seats in the room. "If you will join me, Miss Bennet."

Feeling awkward, but pleased Elizabeth merely nodded her acceptance of this suggestion. They crossed to the spot Darcy had chosen as the rest of the party settled in the area near the fireplace. Elizabeth was smoothing out her skirts when she felt Darcy's hand gently cover hers. Before she realized what he was about, Darcy was discretely holding her hand hidden within the fullness of her skirt.

For all his discretion, Mr. Darcy's daring was not entirely unnoticed. Both Mrs. Gardiner and Colonel Fitzwilliam saw him take Elizabeth's hand. Having no doubt of Darcy's honorable intentions towards her niece, Mrs. Gardiner decided to pretend that she had not noticed. The colonel also pretended not to see, as he had no desire to give his cousin away. In fact, Fitzwilliam was quite pleased to see his cousin boldly pursuing the woman he loved. He was equally pleased to note Miss Bennet's blushing acceptance of his cousin's attentions. The Colonel's contentment was made complete when Mr. Gardiner handed him a brandy.

His host quietly whispered, "Although we must dispense with cigars in Mrs. Gardiner's presence, she is not offended by a gentleman having a brandy after dinner."

Realizing that Darcy was well content, Mr. Gardiner did not make a similar offer to him.

Eager to provide the young couple some relative privacy in their quiet corner of the room, Mrs. Gardiner asked, "Would you consent to play for us, Miss Darcy? My niece mentioned hearing that you are quite an accomplished musician."

Fitzwilliam and Darcy were both immediately concerned for Georgiana. She was normally so shy of strangers. However, before either could determine a way to intervene gracefully, Georgiana spoke for herself, "I fear my abilities may have been exaggerated, but I would be most happy to play for you, Mrs. Gardiner. I dearly love music."

"That is a love we share then, Miss Darcy. If you would consent to play for us now, we might wait a bit to have our coffee."

Georgiana perused the Gardiner's sheet music collection, while Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner engaged the colonel in conversation.

Darcy took advantage of everyone's activity to whisper so that only Elizabeth could hear, "I adore you, Elizabeth."

At first she could not look at him, but when she finally raised her eyes Darcy felt his own cheeks begin to burn. The affection he saw there was more than he had hoped for. The realization that she did indeed care for him, emboldened Darcy to continue at the first opportunity. However, his sister had now begun to play, so politeness demanded their private conversation cease. Darcy did continue to hold Elizabeth's hand throughout Georgiana's performance gently rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb all the while.

Georgiana played very well, but rarely for anyone other than her guardians. She was surprised by her own confidence, but somehow the Gardiners did not seem like strangers. Georgiana was actually very comfortable with Elizabeth's family. When she finished playing, the praise was universal and sincere.

Between the feelings Darcy was exciting in her and the beauty of the music, Elizabeth felt herself unable to speak. She was content to beam her appreciation at Georgiana, as both Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner were lavish in their praise.

"That was truly remarkable, my dear. You have a rare and unique talent." Mrs. Gardiner took Georgiana's hand as she continued, "Thank you, dear girl, for sharing your gift with us."

"Yes, thank you. You played that so beautifully, Miss Darcy." Mr. Gardiner enthused. "I hope we will have the pleasure of hearing you play often."

Georgiana smiled and nodded her thanks as she sat beside Colonel Fitzwilliam. Mrs. Gardiner busied herself with the coffee things that Maggie had brought in.

Having ascertained that everyone was still determinedly occupied, Darcy whispered, "I never imagined I could be so in love, dearest Elizabeth, but I am completely and irrevocably in love with you. Please tell me there is hope for me, that I have a chance of winning your heart in return."

As much as his words pleased her, Elizabeth knew that they were not alone and their privacy could end at any moment. She did not want to discourage Darcy in any way, but she did not want to behave improperly either. Elizabeth thought it best to lighten the mood even as she attempted to offer Mr. Darcy what encouragement she could.

Glancing up at him through her lashes, Elizabeth adopted her most impish smile and said, "It is my experience, Mr. Darcy, that persistence is usually rewarded. Do you not agree?"

Were he not still weakened from his illness, Darcy could have abandoned all dignity and cavorted around the room with joy. As it was he had to content himself with smiling at her and squeezing her hand as he whispered, "That is what I am counting on, Lizzy."

Hearing Darcy address her by the appellation her family used was surprisingly disconcerting. It felt so intimate--even more so than the endearments he had whispered. Elizabeth knew she should discourage such familiarity, but yet it seemed so right to hear him address her thusly. Fortunately her aunt's intervention spared Elizabeth the necessity of formulating a proper response. Mrs. Gardiner was not displeased. However, seeing her niece's blush and the ardor in Darcy's eyes, Aunt Gardiner felt that she had allowed the gentleman sufficient leeway for one evening. It was time for the young lovers to rejoin the general conversation.

"Lizzy, please come and get some coffee for Mr. Darcy. I am certain he will enjoy it."

Darcy was not put out by the interruption as Mrs. Gardiner had already been more than gracious in allowing him such a private conversation with her niece. He readily agreed that he would indeed enjoy a cup of coffee. Darcy then rose and addressed Elizabeth, "May I bring you some as well, Miss Bennet?"

She laughed and quickly admonished him, "No, no, sir. You are not yet fully recovered. Sit back down and I will fetch the coffee. I presume you still drink it plain, Mr. Darcy."

It pleased Darcy inordinately that she remembered how he liked his coffee. It confirmed that Elizabeth had noticed him even when she did not like him.

Knowing her aunt would have used the special coffee beans, Elizabeth was eager to see Darcy's response. She watched him out of the corner of her eye as he took a sip.

Darcy's surprise and delight was evident. "This coffee is extraordinary, Mrs. Gardiner. I do not think I have ever tasted its equal, not even in Paris."

Mrs. Gardiner smiled as she said, "I see then, sir, that you are a connoisseur of coffee. These particular coffee beans are quite difficult to come by so we reserve them for special occasions."

Darcy was genuinely curious. "Where does it come from? Can it not be procured locally?"

"Oh, no, Mr. Darcy, how this coffee came to us is quite an interesting story." Seeing that their guests looked truly interested, Mrs. Gardiner began the tale. "Several years ago our Lizzy read of a particularly fine coffee that is grown in a very small section of Ethiopia. Its uniqueness is attributed to special properties in the soil and clime that have yet to be identified. However, their existence is undeniable for the coffee grown there is unique in its richness.

"Many have tried to duplicate the result in other locales with no success, so there is much clamor for the right to purchase the coffee crop from that region. Believing in her uncle's ability to procure anything, Lizzy was insistent that we must have some."

Darcy smiled imagining that Mr. Gardiner would find it difficult to refuse Elizabeth anything. His affection for her was obvious.

Guessing Darcy's thoughts, Mrs. Gardiner smiled knowingly and spoke to him directly. "I see that you have already discerned my husband's particular regard for Lizzy, Mr. Darcy. He was more than willing to make inquiries into the matter, but his inquiries brought no success. Mr. Gardiner became intrigued by the very difficulty in obtaining the coffee. The challenge spurred him on, and he went to extraordinary lengths to find a source for it. It was all very convoluted, but Mr. Gardiner was finally able to identify the Turkish trading company with a long standing contract for the lion's share of the annual crop."

"So he was able buy it from them?" Georgiana asked. She was quite caught up in the tale.

"Oh no, my dear," Mrs. Gardiner continued, "that would not be nearly so interesting. They were quite unwilling to sell the coffee to Mr. Gardiner at any price. However, my husband is a very clever man. He continued to investigate the Turkish company until he had enough information to make them an acceptable offer. Mr. Gardiner suggested a proposal to expand their other trading interests here and he is now their London agent. My husband assists them in exporting other goods to England and a portion of his compensation is paid each year in this particularly fine coffee."

Everyone laughed in appreciation of Mr. Gardiner's success and his wife's delight in telling of it.

Darcy could not resist whispering to Elizabeth, "I am now well warned of your stubbornness, my love."

Colonel Fitzwilliam felt that he must suggest an early departure as Darcy was still not fully recovered, and Georgiana readily agreed knowing that her brother would never admit to being tired. All three guests thanked their hosts most sincerely. Surprised at her own boldness, Miss Darcy asked if the Gardiners and Elizabeth might join them for dinner in two days time. Knowing her niece's feelings and seeing her husband's happiness at the invitation, Mrs. Gardiner readily accepted.

Content to know that she would see Darcy again soon, Elizabeth walked their guests to the door. Georgiana embraced Elizabeth and then allowed the colonel to escort her out, thereby giving Darcy and Elizabeth a minute alone at the door.

"Goodnight, dear sir. I hope you have not overly exerted yourself this evening."

"Do not worry, Elizabeth. I am impatient for the next two days to pass, but I am well." Taking her hand, Darcy gently kissed the back of it. Then he daringly kissed her palm and held it for a brief moment against his check. With a whispered, "Goodnight, my love," he was gone.

Elizabeth stood there some moments. She could still feel his lips upon her palm and found herself wondering what it would be like to feel his lips upon her own. This curiosity was new to her. While Elizabeth had assumed that she would one day kiss her husband, she had never given the matter a great deal of thought. She took several deep breaths to calm herself, before returning to her aunt and uncle. Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner were both well pleased with the evening. The more they saw of Mr. Darcy, the more they approved of him. While Darcy might be a little reserved, he did not seem shy at all when it came to displaying his regard for Lizzy. Knowing Lizzy's passionate nature, Aunt Gardiner belived that a man of such deep feelings would suite her very well. After a few minutes, Mr. Gardiner excused himself to check on the children. He thought his wife might want to speak privately with Lizzy and he was right.

"Come and sit with me for a few minutes, Lizzy dear. I do not want to force your confidence but I would like to speak with you about Mr. Darcy if you are willing."

"Certainly, Aunt." Elizabeth was pleased by her aunt's request for she felt so unsettled. She was happy and anxious all at the same time.

Realizing her niece did not know where to begin, Mrs. Gardiner gently asked, "Do you know your own feelings for Mr. Darcy, my dear?"

"I think I am beginning to, Aunt, but it is all so new to me."

"It is obvious that he cares for you deeply, Lizzy. Do you now feel that you return his regard?"

Elizabeth's voice was very small as she answered, "Yes, aunt, I did not always think so highly of him, but I find myself caring very deeply for Mr. Darcy. It is strange, but I feel anxious unless he is nearby. Does that sound silly?" Elizabeth was embarrassed by her own admission.

"No, Lizzy, it does not sound silly at all. Now, I do not wish to pry, but I saw Mr. Darcy holding your hand this evening. His attentions do not make you uneasy, do they?"

"No, aunt, though sometimes I wonder if it is wrong that I am not shocked by his gestures of affection."

"When you care for someone deeply, it is right and natural to express that affection. Your behavior thus far has been acceptable to me. Understand that I am not displeased with you or Mr. Darcy, my dear, but I want to make certain that you know your own mind in this. It would be most unkind of you to encourage a man who is so in love with you unless you intend to accept him. Do you understand me, Lizzy?"

"Yes, Aunt, I would not want to hurt Mr. Darcy again for anything. There is something on which I would like your opinion though."

"Of course, Lizzy, I want to help you in any way that I can."

"Well, Mr. Darcy is sometimes more familiar in his address of me than propriety would allow. Yet, I find it pleasing. Is that wrong of me?"

"How has he been familiar, dear?"

"Well, when he was so ill, Mr. Darcy often called me 'Elizabeth' instead of 'Miss Bennet.' He sometimes continues in that. He has also referred to me as 'dear,' and tonight he once teasingly called me 'Lizzy.' It seems so right when he says such things, but I do not want to err in this."

"Tell me, Lizzy, does this familiarity ever make you feel that Mr. Darcy does not respect you?"

"Oh, no, Aunt. If anything, it makes me feel that I am what he holds most dear. It makes me feel cherished."

"Then, I do not think you need worry as long as Mr. Darcy is always respectful of you and addresses you properly in company so that others will not misunderstand. I do not think you are in grave danger by allowing these liberties, if you are ready to accept him."

Mrs. Gardiner gazed at her niece questioningly and Elizabeth struggled to meet her gaze.

"Yes, aunt, it would make me very happy to be Mr. Darcy's wife, and I could not design a dearer sister than Georgiana. In some ways I already feel closer to Georgie than I do to my younger sisters. Is that terrible of me?"

"Oh, Lizzy, how you do worry." Aunt Gardiner laughed and patted her hand. "It is entirely understandable. While you love Mary and Kitty and Lydia, you have very little in common with them. You and Miss Darcy are more suited as companions by your interests and personalities, and Miss Darcy admires you deeply. It is only natural that you would return her regard. Do not worry so, Lizzy. All will be well. With your permission I will speak of some of this to your uncle. I think it best you and Mr. Darcy are soon wed. We do not want the man to worry himself into being ill again and it is obvious he is quite anxious to secure you. I also think you will both be happier if you do not have to be parted for long."

Elizabeth squeezed her aunt's hand affectionately. "Thank you for making me feel less silly and more content, Aunt. I will go and send Sally off to bed now. Sleeping with Emma will comfort me and allow me to watch over her."

"Thank you, dear."

Emma was sleeping soundly when Elizabeth slipped under the covers to join her. Greatly relieved by her aunt's assurances, Elizabeth was soon fast asleep.

****

When morning came little Emma was cuddled up against her older cousin with one arm wrapped around Elizabeth's waist. Elizabeth woke first and found herself wondering what it would be like to wake up with someone else's arm around her. The train of her thoughts shocked her deeply. A lady should not entertain such speculations, and a gentleman did not sleep with his wife, or did he? Elizabeth knew from her mother's veiled references that the marriage bed was of considerable importance, but married couples maintained separate bedchambers. Yet, if you loved your husband then it would be pleasant to sleep in his arms.

Elizabeth blushed as she admitted the truth. She was not thinking of generalities, but of Fitzwilliam Darcy. She willed herself to be calm. When she was with him, Elizabeth had no doubt of Darcy's affection. When he was not there to reassure her, Elizabeth was haunted by the memory of how she had injured him. What man would renew his addresses after being scorned so?

Elizabeth forced herself to review her aunt's reassurances of the previous evening. That afforded her some comfort, but Elizabeth knew she would not be easy until all was settled between them. At least she was assured of seeing Darcy at dinner the next day. In the meantime, Elizabeth resolved to busy herself with being of use to her aunt.

Emma stirred beside her and Elizabeth smiled down at the sleeping child. She looked like an angel lying there with one hand under her cheek and the other reaching across Elizabeth. Of course, Emma was almost angelic even when she was awake. Peter, on the other hand, was more rambunctious. It would be difficult to keep him still now that he was feeling better. Elizabeth found herself wondering what Darcy was like as a boy. Surely, he was not so serious then. Of course, Peter was an exceptionally lively child, much as Elizabeth had been herself. Shaking her head at how quickly her thoughts had returned to Fitzwilliam Darcy, Elizabeth slipped from the bed to begin her day.

For all her reassurances to Elizabeth that everything would happen naturally over the course of time, Mrs. Gardiner found herself wondering how she might assist her niece. When Darcy and Elizabeth were together, Elizabeth was obviously happy. Mr. Darcy's constant attention and open affection made her easy. However, when they were apart, Elizabeth's anxiety was equally pronounced.

Mrs. Gardiner remained confident that all would work itself out eventually, but she was concerned that Elizabeth would work herself into quite a state of apprehension before tomorrow evening's dinner engagement. That would not do. No, she thought, it will not do at all.

While Mrs. Gardiner was wracking her brain for a way to bring Elizabeth and Darcy together today, Georgiana Darcy had already resolved to achieve the same end. A note arrived for Elizabeth shortly after breakfast.

Dearest Elizabeth,
I had hoped to call upon you this morning, but feel I cannot leave my brother. Do not be alarmed. Fitzwilliam is well, but as his strength begins to return I fear he is most likely to do himself harm by taking on too much. In truth, were I to leave him at home this morning, it is highly likely Fitzwilliam would do something rash, like call for his horse and follow me. I have sent the carriage in hopes that your aunt may be able to spare you for a visit this morning. However, be assured of my understanding if you are unable to come. I know the Gardiners have already shared your time with us most graciously. If we cannot see you today, then I will have to content myself with anticipating tomorrow evening.
Best regards,
Georgiana

Elizabeth found her aunt and showed her the note.

Mrs. Gardiner was pleased to have it all worked out so well. "Why, of course, you may call on Miss Darcy, my dear, if that is what you wish."

"But are you certain you can spare me this morning?"

"Dearest Lizzy, we will be fine. The children are so much better now and we no longer have to isolate them, so you may certainly visit your friends."

Elizabeth kissed her aunt's cheek. She asked Sally to tell the coachman that she would be returning to the Darcys' with him and hurried upstairs to ready herself. After changing her dress twice, Elizabeth was pleased with her appearance and went downstairs to say goodbye to her aunt.

Meanwhile Darcy was restlessly pacing his study like a caged animal. He understood all the reasons he should rest, but was unable to do so when Elizabeth was right here in London. Georgiana had not told Darcy of her plan, wanting to spare him disappointment if Elizabeth were unable to come. Fortunately Georgiana came into the room before Darcy had worked himself into a full-blown temper. His agitation, however, was obvious.

"Fitzwilliam, whatever is the matter?" Georgiana asked, although she was fairly certain she knew his answer.

"Georgiana, I know I promised I would follow the doctor's directives, but I must go out this morning. We do not know how long Elizabeth will be allowed to remain in London and I have wasted too much time already where she is concerned. For months I was too foolish to approach her and then since-- Well, since Kent I have been too afraid. Now that I have a God given opportunity to try again, I am determined to secure her affections. You may go with me if you wish, but I am going to the Gardiners."

Georgiana patted Darcy's arm as she attempted to soothe him. "Please calm yourself, brother. I do understand your need to see Elizabeth and I hope she will join us shortly. I sent the carriage an hour ago with a note asking her to favor us with a visit this morning if her aunt could spare her."

"She is coming. Why did you not tell me, Georgiana?"

"I did not want you to be disappointed if Elizabeth could not come. I am sorry. I had no idea you would distress yourself so. Why not come and join me in the sitting room? We can wait together."

Darcy was slightly embarrassed by his outburst, but that emotion paled in the light of his relief. Offering Georgiana his arm, he whispered, "Thank you, Georgie. Without you I might never have seen Elizabeth again."

Georgiana smiled up at him. It was so wonderful to have her brother back.

The Darcys did not have to wait long before a servant announced Miss Bennet. Georgiana met Elizabeth with a sisterly embrace. Of course, propriety demanded a more formal greeting between Elizabeth and Darcy. She offered him her hand and Darcy took it with a bow. He did, however, hold it just a little longer than was strictly proper. When Georgiana invited Elizabeth to sit down, Darcy did not hesitate to take the seat beside her. He said little but could not stop staring at her. Elizabeth seemed preoccupied as well.

Georgiana was sincerely delighted to see her friend. She was also considerably amused by her brother's silent admiration. "Oh, Elizabeth, I am so glad you have come. I am afraid Fitzwilliam is becoming restless already and I could use your assistance in managing him."

Elizabeth smiled first at Georgiana and then at Darcy. It was all he could do to restrain himself from taking her in his arms.

Georgiana politely continued on. "I hope your presence here means that all is well with your cousins?"

Elizabeth roused herself to pay attention to her hostess. "Yes, thank you, Georgiana. Peter has been officially returned to the nursery and I expect Emma will soon follow. Our only difficulty will be to keep Peter relatively calm for a few more days."

Glancing at her brother, Georgiana giggled and said, "I do understand your difficulty."

Darcy thought he should perhaps be offended at being compared to a young lad, but he could not. They were both smiling at him so Darcy returned their smiles as he replied, "Although we have never met, I feel I must speak on your cousin's behalf. After all Peter is not here to defend himself. It is difficult when one is used to being active to find oneself expected to sit around."

Elizabeth laughed, "Well, sir, your eloquence on behalf of my cousin is touching. I am certain Peter would share your sentiments although he might express them a little differently. I fear you two gentlemen are more alike than I realized. Georgiana, you must watch your brother. If he is at all like Peter, Mr. Darcy will be trying to climb the tree in the garden before you know it."

The visit passed pleasantly. Darcy found himself wishing he were alone with Elizabeth, but it was enough that she was here. As if divining his thoughts, Georgiana excused herself saying she had something she wanted to show Elizabeth.

Darcy was grateful when his sister absent-mindedly shut the door as she left the room. He gently reached over and covered Elizabeth's hand with his own.

"Thank you for coming this morning, Elizabeth. I must confess that I was on the verge of tearing off for Gracechurch Street when Georgiana told me she had invited you. I just couldn't wait until tomorrow to see you, dearest."

"Thank you, sir. I was grateful to receive Georgiana's invitation." She gave him a teasing smile. "I must say that I like your sister very much. Although we just met she has already become very dear to me."

Darcy lifted her hand to his lips and kissed it softly. "I hope--" He paused to kiss her hand again, "--that you did not come--" and again, "--only to see Georgiana, Elizabeth."

Darcy leaned towards her, his eyes locked on hers. Elizabeth thought he was going to kiss her, but then the sound of someone coming down the hall ended that possibility.

Darcy squeezed her hand. He then rose and walked quickly toward the window, while struggling to regain his composure. Though striving to collect herself as well, Elizabeth felt the distance between them keenly. It seemed right when Darcy was close to her. In a contradictory way that defied logic, his nearness, though exciting, also enabled her to be comfortable. With the width of the room between them, Elizabeth found herself feeling anxious and uncertain again.

In just a moment the door to the sitting room opened and in walked Colonel Fitzwilliam. "Ah, Darcy, I am glad to see you up and about and Miss Bennet, too. What a delight."

Colonel Fitzwilliam moved toward the empty seat beside Elizabeth, but a warning glance from his cousin caused him to retreat. With a contrite expression, he sat down across from her instead. By the time Georgiana joined them a few minutes later, Darcy was once more seated at Elizabeth's side.

Georgiana was surprised to see their cousin. "Why, Richard, we did not expect you today."

"Hello, Georgie. Yes, I have actually come to say that I will not be able to join you for dinner tomorrow. I will be leaving town on an errand for the general in the morning and will not return to London until the following day."

"Oh, Richard, I am sorry you will not be able to come. We shall miss you, but I understand that you have responsibilities. I certainly cannot fault your commander when he allowed you so much leave while Fitzwilliam was ill."

The colonel smiled affably. "You know that if it is a choice between pleasing you or the general, Georgie, I would chose you every time. However, I do need to stay in the army's good graces so duty cannot be shirked altogether. Please give my regards to your aunt and uncle, Miss Bennet. I have enjoyed getting to know them and I look forward to seeing them again soon."

"Thank you, Colonel. I will convey your regards. I know that my aunt and uncle have also enjoyed making your acquaintance. In fact, speaking of my family, it is time I returned home."

Darcy rose to see to the carriage, but Fitzwilliam stopped him. "No, you keep your seat, Cousin. I will go and have the carriage brought round."

When the colonel was gone, Georgiana handed Elizabeth a small, carved wooden box. "Here, Elizabeth. This is what I went to get. I want you to have it."

Elizabeth did not know what to say. "Georgiana, I assure you that your friendship is all the gift I need."

"No, Elizabeth, please. I want you to have it. After the way you took care of us, it is only right that they belong to you. Go on. Open it."

Elizabeth lifted the lid and inside was a beautiful pair of beaded hair combs. "Georgie, they are exquisite, but it is impossible for me to accept them."

"No, you must take them, Elizabeth. They were mother's and they will be beautiful in your dark hair."

Elizabeth tried to hand them back. "No, Georgiana, if they were your mother's then you must keep them."

"But that is the very reason I want you to have them, Elizabeth. When I fell ill the other day, you did not just attend me. You cared for me--as tenderly as I imagine mother would have, if she were here. I really do not remember her. The only memories I have of mother are things I have been told about her. It may sound silly, but when you were watching over me, I felt as if I knew for the first time what it might have been like if she had lived. That is a gift I cannot repay. Please let me at least have the pleasure of giving you these."

Both young women were crying softly when Elizabeth rose and drew Georgiana into an embrace. Darcy watched them silently, his own eyes glistening. He had been shocked when Georgiana handed the box to Elizabeth for he knew what it contained. After Georgiana's description of how affected she was by Elizabeth's gentle care, Darcy understood completely why she wanted Elizabeth to have something of their mother's. He prayed that Elizabeth would be his very soon, for Georgiana's sake, as well as his own. Until that moment Darcy had not fully realized just how much his sister had missed by not knowing their mother.

After a moment the ladies resumed their seats. Georgiana drew a handkerchief from her pocket and wiped her eyes. Elizabeth reached into her own pocket but realized her handkerchief had been left behind in the first dress she had worn that morning. With a warm smile, Darcy handed her his.

"Thank you, sir," said Elizabeth as she wiped her eyes, "I never seem to have a handkerchief when I need one. Yet, most days I carry one in my pocket and never use it." When Elizabeth reached out to hand it back to him, Darcy closed his hand over hers.

"Please keep it, Miss Bennet, in case you have need of it on the carriage ride home."

"Thank you, sir." She gave him a tender smile, enjoying the feel of his hand upon hers. "And thank you, Georgiana. I would not have been anywhere else this week. Sisterly devotion is no more than you deserve."

When Elizabeth and Darcy parted both felt the next evening could not come quickly enough. Darcy found himself irritated with Fitzwilliam for his earlier interruption. Had he not walked in on them, perhaps--no, Darcy must be honest with himself. He had been on the verge of kissing Elizabeth, not proposing to her, although he wanted to do both desperately. Darcy sighed. That could have been a disaster. What if he had offended her? It was too great a liberty to even think of, but that was the problem. When he was with Elizabeth, Darcy was too overcome by his own feelings to assess hers. It had seemed right to kiss her this morning and Darcy thought he was becoming more attuned to her feelings. Had Elizabeth wanted him to kiss her? Or was he completely mistaken?

Having worried himself into quite a headache, Darcy offered his excuses saying he would like to rest. Seeing his drawn expression, Georgiana was concerned, but Darcy reassured her.

"It is only a headache, Georgiana. It will surely pass, if I lie down for a bit."

"Very well, Fitzwilliam, but please send for me if you need anything. I am taking no chances with your health, dear brother."

After he was gone, the Colonel said, "I am afraid I may have interrupted Darcy and Miss Bennet at a most inopportune moment this morning, Georgie."

"Richard, if you interrupted a proposal I will have your head. Why do you think I 'accidentally' shut the door when I left them this morning?"

The Colonel threw back his head and laughed, "Georgiana, I never knew you to be so sly. So you are determined to have Miss Bennet as your sister, are you not?"

"Yes, I am, but do not look so superior, Cousin. You simply have not figured out how to help him along yet. We both know Fitzwilliam will not be happy without her."

With a more thoughtful expression, the colonel replied, "You are right, of course, Georgie. I think when he has fretted enough, Darcy will act to secure his happiness."


Copyright 2007 Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next