Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next
My only love sprung from my only hate!
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, Romeo and Juliet


Chapter Two


Grace was lying in wait for Dr. Abercrombie when he arrived that morning. She shooed the footman away, and then all but propelled the good doctor to Darcy's door.

"Here you are, Doctor, sir. Now you go on in and see to the master while I check on the ladies. Young miss was up half the night, she was, so you just take your time with the master. I'll come and fetch you when they are ready to receive you."

The doctor was decidedly amused, as he had never been so firmly ushered away from a patient. It required a considerable effort to avoid laughing aloud at the pushy servant. Dr. Abercrombie was generally considered to be quite imposing and no one ordered him around except for his wife on occasion--and then for his own good--and now, of course, Darcy's maid. He must remember to tell Mrs. Abercrombie about this.

Simms had just finished Darcy's first shave in weeks and the man looked much more like himself. After complimenting Darcy on how well he looked, the doctor asked how he had fared during the night.

"I am better as you can see, Doctor, but that is not what is important. How is my sister?"

Offering a wry smile, Dr. Abercrombie explained that he had not yet seen Georgiana. "Unfortunately, I can offer no report on your sister yet, Darcy. Your maid suggested rather strongly that I visit you first as the young ladies might not be ready to receive me."

Darcy's expression of impatience softened instantly into one of sympathy. "I understand you perfectly, Doctor. Grace has already put me in my place this morning, as well. Of course, I cannot complain since she is protecting my sister and Miss Bennet. Yet it is a little peculiar to find one's self being instructed by one's servants."

The doctor chuckled. "And now you have given yourself away, Darcy. I was about to commend you for being in bed, which is precisely where you should be. My guess now is that my commendation should go to Grace, heh?"

"Most definitely," Darcy confessed. "I was determined to go charging about this morning when Grace and Simms put me back to bed and decidedly ignored my orders."

"Well, they were right. You should give them both a raise, man. You must be very careful now to prevent a relapse, but your improvement is remarkable. It far exceeds what I would have expected. I think several more days in bed at least. Then you may spend part of each day up, but I do not want you to leave the house for at least a week. Is that clear, Darcy? We cannot have you undoing all your sister's hard work by foolishness."

When Grace came for the doctor, Darcy urged him to attend his sister immediately, "--and please do come back after you've examined Georgiana, sir. I am anxious to know how she is."

"I will not be long, Darcy."

Elizabeth gave the doctor an accounting of the night as he examined Georgiana. Once he had completed his assessment, Dr. Abercrombie was reasonably certain that her collapse was the result of exhaustion rather than illness. He insisted, however, that Georgiana stay in bed all day. If her fever did not return, then she would be allowed to resume her normal activities on the morrow. Georgiana did not protest as Elizabeth had already promised to stay with her. She was concerned though for her brother's contentment.

"Dr. Abercrombie, I understand the importance of my resting, but would you permit me to spend several hours on the settee in my brother's room? Now that he is improving, Fitzwilliam may not be the most patient of patients. I am afraid that if he is left alone too long, his restlessness will cause him to do more than he ought."

Knowing her fears were well founded, the doctor acquiesced. "That is acceptable to me, Miss Georgiana, but I do expect you to take a long rest this afternoon. Miss Bennet, I trust in your good judgment. Please do your best to see that neither of them attempts too much."

Elizabeth smiled at the doctor's implication that she was now in charge of the Darcy family. "I will do my best, sir."

As promised, Dr. Abercrombie returned to give Darcy the encouraging news about his sister. He also mentioned that he had given her leave to rest in Darcy's room for part of the day.

This prompted a flurry of activity in the master suite. Word quickly spread among the staff that Mr. Darcy and Miss Georgiana were both nearly well and there was no longer fear of contagion. With many hands Darcy's room was soon transformed--all under his direction, of course. Several footman rearranged the furniture, placing the settee and two chairs closer to the bed, while the maids bustled about dusting and tidying the room. The drapes and windows were fully opened and fresh flowers brought in from the garden. While these orders were being carried out, Darcy himself wrote a note to cook requesting that a light luncheon suitable for recovering invalids be prepared and served to them in his quarters at noon.

It was a very different room that the ladies entered that morning and they were both well pleased with Darcy's thoughtfulness. Elizabeth soon had Georgiana settled comfortably on the settee and took the chair beside Darcy's bed. Georgiana's glowing countenance reassured Darcy that his sister was well. However, he was not so pleased when he turned his full attention to Elizabeth. Although she had never looked more beautiful to him, Darcy could see the shadows of fatigue under her eyes.

"Did you rest at all last night, Eliz--Miss Bennet?" He instinctively reached across the counterpane for her hand and Elizabeth allowed him to hold it for a minute before modestly drawing it away.

"I actually did get a surprising amount of sleep, sir, and what sleep I lost was well missed to see your dear sister much improved this morning."

Darcy could not resist teasing Elizabeth to see if she blushed, "Yes, Grace mentioned that the two of you made a very pretty picture, sharing a pillow."

Elizabeth did blush, but Georgiana's forthright reaction to Darcy's teasing surprised him.

"It may seem silly to you, Fitzwilliam, but it meant so much to wake up with Elizabeth there. I felt loved and protected as if she were my own sister."

Seeing how earnest she was, Darcy immediately apologized, "I am sorry, Georgiana, I did not mean to tease you both unfairly. I am thankful that Miss Bennet was able to reassure you, and I am truly delighted that you are feeling better today."

It was not in Georgiana's nature to be resentful and her sunny smile assured her brother all was forgiven. "I do feel so much better, Fitzwilliam. I must confess that I do not remember much of last night. I have only vague memories of Elizabeth being there, but I can say this though. Both Doctor Abercrombie and Grace have both assured me that I could not have had finer care. I am deeply in your debt, Elizabeth."

Reaching out to pat Georgiana's arm, Elizabeth protested, "I am certain that anyone would have done the same, Georgiana. I am just glad that I was here when you fell ill." Her voice began to take on that teasing tone Darcy loved so well. "It would be terrible to leave you to the ministrations of your guardians. While they are zealous for your care I cannot imagine either having the patience for the sick room. Why Colonel Fitzwilliam had no notion of how to entertain your brother for an hour without billiards or horses until I suggested a book."

Georgiana giggled as Darcy pretended indignation. "Why the rogue made me think it was his idea to read aloud. I was actually impressed that he had come up with such an entertainment on his own. Of course, Fitzwilliam did spend considerable time searching the library for a book about horses playing billiards. In the end we had to settle for Shakespeare."

Both the young women laughed at Darcy's mock tirade and the Colonel chose that moment to enter the room, prompting another round of laughter.

"Well, I am pleased to provide amusement for one and all, and I am especially gratified to see you looking so well this morning, dear Georgie." The Colonel leaned over to kiss her cheek before taking the empty chair. "And how are you today, dear Miss Bennet? You are well, I trust."

"Yes, Colonel, I am very well. Thank you."

"No, I must thank you, Miss Bennet. We are all deeply in your debt. Darcy and I were talking about it last night. I cannot imagine how we would have cared for Georgiana so well on our own, especially with the housekeeper away and Darcy still being under the weather himself. A hired nurse would not have tended my cousin as carefully as you did, Miss Bennet. Thank you."

The morning passed pleasantly with amiable conversation. Elizabeth sent a note to her aunt reassuring her that Georgiana was much better. She explained that the doctor wanted to be careful of her for another day and asked if her aunt would consent to Elizabeth's remaining with Georgiana until tomorrow.

The messenger returned from Gracechurch Street with a note from Mrs. Gardiner saying that the children were also much better, Mr. Gardiner was home, and she would expect Elizabeth's return the following day.

Georgiana and Darcy were both visibly relieved when Elizabeth received her aunt's permission for the extension of her visit. Colonel Fitzwilliam shared their happiness. He was very gratified by Elizabeth's kindness to both his cousins, and he found the depth of her concern for them most encouraging. Perhaps Darcy stood a chance with her after all.

The morning passed quickly in such amiable company and they were soon enjoying the special luncheon Darcy had ordered. Elizabeth maintained a watchful eye on both patients and was insistent that Georgiana return to her room to rest when they finished eating. Excusing themselves, the ladies rose, as did Colonel Fitzwilliam. When Elizabeth had ushered Georgiana as far as the doorway, Darcy's voice halted her progress.

"Miss Bennet, might I beg the pleasure of your company once Georgiana is settled to your satisfaction? While I appreciate his efforts, my cousin's reading does leave something to be desired."

Seeing the Colonel's pretended indignation and Georgiana suppressing a giggle, Elizabeth could not resist a teasing reply. "I might be able to accommodate you, Mr. Darcy. Shall I fetch a volume from the library on horses? I know they are one of your particular passions or perhaps something on billiards, sir?"

Darcy laughed aloud as the ladies left them. The colonel's mock indignation now gave way to true puzzlement. "I say Darcy, what in the devil was that all about?"

Hearing his sister and Elizabeth giggling down the hall, Darcy could only laugh. This time his curious cousin joined in good-naturedly.

"Well, if I am prepared to be shot in service to the king, I suppose I can provide occasional amusement for my loved ones. Now, please give me my instructions for the afternoon. Am I to make myself scarce before Miss Bennet returns or are you sufficiently recovered to require a chaperone?" The colonel waggled his eyebrows suggestively as he spoke.

Darcy smiled. "I assure you that Miss Bennet will be quite safe, Fitzwilliam. Being a proper young lady, she will no doubt guarantee the door stays open. Besides, with Grace and Simms both hovering about, it is unlikely that we will be alone for an instant anyway so you may take yourself off. I appreciate your willingness to be of service to Georgiana and myself, but I know how you hate to be cooped up, Cousin. Tomorrow when Miss Bennet returns to her aunt's, Georgiana and I will both need your cheer. It is a beautiful day. Go and enjoy yourself while you can."

With a smile and a bow, the colonel withdrew to do just that.

Once Georgiana was in bed, Elizabeth drew her chair in close and began to gently stroke her hair. Sighing at the pleasure of feeling herself to be "mothered" and safe, Georgiana closed her eyes savoring the moment. She could not, however, keep Elizabeth all to herself, not when her brother was anxiously waiting. Fitzwilliam needed Elizabeth. Georgiana knew that. Georgiana realized that in just a day, she had begun to need Elizabeth, too. Duty, however, demanded she relinquish Elizabeth to her brother's greater claim.

"That feels wonderful, Elizabeth, but I must beg you to attend my brother. He always endeavors to be so strong for me, but Fitzwilliam is far from recovered. If I know that you are watching over him, I will be able to rest."

"Of course, Georgiana, if that is your wish." Elizabeth leaned over to kiss the younger woman's brow. "Is there anything you need?"

"No, I am well, Elizabeth." Georgiana clasped Elizabeth's hand in both her own, tears suddenly filling her eyes. "I fear-- If you had not come yesterday, things would have gone horribly wrong."

"Do not upset yourself, Georgie. Your brother is very strong. I am certain Mr. Darcy would have rallied soon anyway, if not for himself, then for you, dearest. I am glad I was here to share your relief and to see to your comfort, but you owe me no gratitude. Now please try to sleep."

Nestling happily into her pillow, Georgiana whispered, "I will, Elizabeth. I will."

Assured of Georgiana's contentment, Elizabeth stepped into the adjoining dressing room. She was pleased to see that her hair was neat and the shadows under her eyes were not too pronounced. Elizabeth smoothed her dress as best she could and quietly stepped out into the hallway.

Her smile vanished when Elizabeth entered Darcy's room and saw that his bed was empty. The gentleman now occupied Georgiana's former place on the settee. Several pillows cushioned his back and a quilt covered Darcy's long legs, which stretched the entire length of the sofa. He did appear to be most comfortable; however, he was not in bed. Elizabeth felt her temper rising.

Sensing her irritation, Darcy hastened to explain. "Please do not be cross with me, Elizabeth. I promise that it was Grace's idea. In your absence she suggested this move rather strongly as she wants to change my bedding. She is gone now to fetch fresh bedclothes."

Darcy's anxious explanation vanquished her displeasure and Elizabeth smiled at him in amusement. "Very well, Mr. Darcy. As long as you have Grace's permission I will overlook it, but just this once, sir. You must take care."

Seating herself in the nearest chair, Elizabeth continued, "Now, how may I amuse the recovering patient? Shall I read to you, sir, or would you prefer to rest now?"

"I would prefer conversation, Elizabeth. Your voice comforts me and I would appreciate your satisfying my curiosity on a matter of great importance."

Uncertain as to what particular matter was on his mind, Elizabeth answered cautiously. "Very well, sir. Conversation it shall be. As for your curiosity, well, until I hear your question I do not know if I will be able to answer it."

Darcy was suddenly unsure of how to proceed, as he wanted no further misunderstandings between them. He was determined to no longer hide his affection from Elizabeth, but Darcy had little experience in sharing his private thoughts and feelings. Encouraged by her waiting smile, he haltingly began.

"I must first say that your appearance here yesterday was-- It was like a gift from heaven, Elizabeth. A gift for which I am grateful beyond words."

Darcy reached for her hand and kissed it reverently before continuing. "Your coming when you did and offering your friendship and forgiveness-- It means more than I can express. I was so tired, Elizabeth, and completely without hope, but hearing your voice, seeing you again-- It somehow gave me strength. Thank you, Elizabeth."

He gently kissed her hand again and fixed her with a penetrating gaze. "I do not care how it came to pass, my love, but I must admit I am curious."

Elizabeth could not help blushing at this endearment from Mr. Darcy's lips. Yet, she could not bring herself to rebuke him. He was so sincere in his admiration of her. She hesitated, uncertain of how to begin.

"Please, Elizabeth," Darcy pressed. "Seeing you yesterday made such a difference. May I not ask why you came?"

Meeting his gaze Elizabeth answered simply, "I came for Georgiana."

Seeing his puzzlement, she went on to explain. "Four days ago I received a letter from your sister. Do not be upset with her, Mr. Darcy. Georgiana's letter was very polite and she began by apologizing for writing when we had not been introduced. She wrote to me in desperation."

Elizabeth paused for a deep breath. Then feeling that she owed him nothing but truth, she continued quietly, "You see, Mr. Darcy, Dr. Abercrombie had advised your sister to prepare herself for the worst."

Darcy's face blanched at the thought of Georgiana's despair. He knew he had been very ill, but had not realized what a close thing it had been.

Elizabeth smiled at him encouragingly as she continued. "Georgiana simply could not face the thought of life without you, sir. Knowing something of our history, Georgie wanted you to know that I no longer thought so ill of you. She hoped that it might somehow help you to rally. I do not understand it myself, but it seems your sister may have been right. In the interest of speed and discretion, Georgiana sent Colonel Fitzwilliam into Hertfordshire. He delivered the letter to me personally."

Darcy gripped her hand tightly as he shook his head in wonder. "I find my sister's decisive action surprising. She has been most uncertain of herself, particularly of late."

"One should never be surprised, Mr. Darcy, by a woman protecting her family, even a very young woman. We will dare much for those we love, and Georgiana loves you very much, sir."

"Oh, I assure you I am not upset by Georgiana's interference, particularly in light of the result." Darcy paused, his intense gaze fastened on Elizabeth.

How often she had misunderstood that look, assuming that Darcy was thinking ill of her. Now that she understood its meaning, Elizabeth felt herself begin to blush again. Yet she forced herself not to look away.

Seeing her discomfiture, Darcy lightened his tone. "No, I am definitely not troubled by my sister's actions. On the contrary, I am grateful that Georgiana would go to such extraordinary lengths on my behalf. It is most uncharacteristic of her to assert herself. If not for the seriousness of the circumstances, I would find the thought of Georgiana ordering my cousin about most amusing, made even more amusing by his obedience."

Glad of his levity, Elizabeth quipped, "Yes, the colonel did seem to have a much greater respect for Georgiana's orders than he does for his general's."

This caused Darcy to smile, and Elizabeth could not help noticing how very handsome he was when he smiled. Schooling herself to concentrate on the subject of their conversation, she continued more seriously.

"I believe the colonel would have gone to the continent to retrieve Napoleon himself at that moment, if Georgiana had wished it. He was quite alarmed for both of you, as was I when I read Georgiana's letter."

"But that was only four days ago, Elizabeth. How did you come to London so quickly?"

"It seemed to be impossible when I first read the letter. My heart was moved by your sister's suffering." Elizabeth paused and dropped her eyes, unable to face him as she continued. "I must also confess that it was dreadful to think that you might--that you might leave this world, Mr. Darcy, without knowing of my remorse for how I had treated you."

She took a deep breath and continued softly. "Yes, I was most willing to come, but I could not imagine how it might be done. At least not without exposing our private history and that would have occasioned too much gossip and speculation."

Elizabeth glanced up to see him nod his understanding.

"But yet, you are here." Darcy gripped her hand tightly.

"Yes. Fate or heaven, it would seem, intervened to bring me here, Mr. Darcy. Even as I was wracking my brain for a way to justify a sudden trip to London, a letter arrived from my Aunt Gardiner. She wrote of my uncle's intention to bring my healthy young cousins to Longbourn and to beg my assistance in caring for the two little ones who had come down with fever.

"As my family was debating how to send me to my relations here, I mentioned that Colonel Fitzwilliam planned to return to London the following day. My father approached him to see if he would escort me to town and that is how I came to be in London three days ago."

"And what of your cousins? And your aunt?"

"My little cousins Emma and Peter both seem to have rather mild cases. Sally, one of our maids, came with me from Longbourn. We took turns staying with the children the first two nights we were in London, allowing my aunt some well-deserved rest. Her note this morning assured me that Emma and Peter are doing very well and that my uncle returned safely from Longbourn last evening. I am confident your sister is truly well, Mr. Darcy, and I will be back in Gracechurch Street to assist my aunt tomorrow."

"But if you came to town to help your aunt, what brought you here yesterday, dearest?"

Hearing Darcy call her 'dearest' affected Elizabeth deeply. Anxious to cover her own disquiet, Elizabeth resumed their conversation. "While we were breakfasting yesterday, a note arrived from Georgiana. She wrote that it was feared--that it was feared you would not linger much longer and that--you had been asking for me."

Elizabeth glanced at him shyly to see how he bore this. Darcy did not seem surprised. He merely wrapped her hand in both his own and nodded for her to continue.

"My aunt is very kind and tenderhearted. When I showed her Georgiana's note, she agreed that I must come and try to support your sister as best I could."

"Does your aunt know of my proposal?"

"No, sir, not yet, but I will certainly have to answer some questions when I return. It was plain from Georgiana's note that the situation was most urgent, so Aunt Gardiner agreed I had best come right away. She sent me here with the understanding that we would talk later when the crisis had passed. Please do not concern yourself, Mr. Darcy. You may trust in my aunt's discretion. Although she will demand answers from me, it will only be to assure herself that I am well. She would never gossip about anyone."

"I am most grateful for your aunt's compassion. Her giving you leave to visit has made me far happier than I would have thought possible."

Elizabeth blushed and then tactfully changed the subject, "I think you would like my Uncle and Aunt Gardiner, Mr. Darcy. I love all my family, but it sometimes seems that Jane and I do not quite belong at Longbourn. At Gracechurch Street, however, we thrive. It is very much a second home to both of us."

"I think you are right. I would very much like to meet the Gardiners. Would it--may I call on you there while you remain in town, Miss Bennet?"

It seemed strange for Darcy to address her so formally, after his almost constant use of her given name. But this, of course, was part of the courtship ritual Darcy had bypassed in his earlier suit. It was a formal request for permission to call on her, and Elizabeth was surprised at how much it pleased her.

"Yes, Mr. Darcy, when Doctor Abercrombie gives you leave, you may call upon me at my aunt's."

Elizabeth suddenly realized they had been talking for quite a while and Grace had not returned with the fresh linens. Mindful of what was due propriety, she cast about for a way to excuse herself without causing him to feel abandoned.

"I want to check on Georgiana. Would you like me to ring for tea, Mr. Darcy?"

"If you will return to share it with me, Elizabeth."

She almost laughed aloud at his purposefully pitiful expression. "I will be happy to take tea with you, sir. Oh, here's Grace now."

The timing of the maid's appearance made Elizabeth wonder if she had been lingering in the hallway to avoid interrupting their tete-a-tete. Elizabeth found, however, she could not be angry with the good-hearted servant. In fact, she smiled at the thought of the maid conspiring to aid Darcy's suit.

"Grace, when you've finished Mr. Darcy's bed would you be good enough to bring tea?"

"Certainly, Miss. Would you rather I do that first?"

"Oh, no. We must get Mr. Darcy back to bed first. Then we will have tea."

Darcy was surprised to see his servant deferring to Elizabeth and virtually ignoring him. In fact, he was greatly surprised, but not unhappy. Elizabeth gave him a radiant smile and left to see to his sister.

Georgiana appeared to be sleeping peacefully. Elizabeth gently touched her brow and was reassured that her temperature remained normal. She looked so young and fragile in her sleep. Elizabeth could not resist the temptation to softly kiss her brow and smooth her hair before turning to go. Georgiana smiled slightly in her sleep, but she did not wake.

What was it about the Darcy family? Elizabeth found herself feeling fiercely protective of both of them. It was amazing how quickly she had come to think of them as something far more than acquaintances. Elizabeth did not dare try to define what that "something more" was. For now she would enjoy their company. There would be time for reflection and contemplation once she returned to Gracechurch Street.

Mr. Darcy was back in his freshly made bed when Elizabeth returned to his room. His face lit up as she came through the door, but Elizabeth thought he looked tired.

"Your sister is sleeping peacefully, sir, and I am happy to report her temperature is normal. You, Mr. Darcy, look as if you could use a little sleep yourself."

"But you promised to take tea with me, Elizabeth."

"I did, sir, and I will, but I think you should rest first. We can have tea later."

Darcy looked like a petulant child, "But I am not tired."

Elizabeth spoke to him soothingly as she might to one of her little cousins. All the while she was smoothing his already smooth covers. "There, there, Mr. Darcy. You may not want to admit you are tired, but I can see that you are. I am afraid that if you do too much, too soon, sir, your fever will return." As she spoke Elizabeth leaned over and gently touched his brow. Relieved that he did not feel feverish, she still insisted that he rest.

"If you will lie back and close your eyes, Mr. Darcy, I will read to you. Please, sir, for me."

Unable to resist her coaxing smile, Darcy smiled in return, "Very well, I will rest for you, Elizabeth, but please do read something aloud. The sound of your voice will let me know that you are actually here and not a fabrication of my imagination."

Elizabeth laughed and teased him in response. "I am certain that if I were imaginary, I would be the picture of perfection, sir. Imaginary people almost always are. As it is, I am quite imperfect and, therefore, quite real."

Reaching across the bed Darcy grabbed her hand and spoke earnestly, "You are quite perfect for me, dearest Elizabeth."

Elizabeth colored at this. She squeezed his hand gently in response and then moved away to examine the bookcase in the corner. "Do you have any particular request, Mr. Darcy?"

"It matters not, just to hear your voice will be soothing. Choose what will please you."

Elizabeth enjoyed reading the titles. It was interesting to see what books the enigmatic man kept close at hand, and she was pleased to see many of her own favorites among the volumes. Elizabeth finally settled on reading aloud from Shakespeare's sonnets. They held the comfort of the familiar combined with truly beautiful language. Elizabeth also thought the meter and rhythm of the verse might help lull her patient to sleep. She was right, for Darcy nodded off soon after she began. Elizabeth could tell that he had fallen asleep by the change in his breathing, and she sat there for some time watching him sleep. Elizabeth was surprised by the unguarded affection and tenderness Mr. Darcy had demonstrated toward her over the last two days. She found herself warming to this caring, attentive man. It was difficult to believe she had once disliked him so.

When Grace tiptoed in with the tea, Elizabeth quietly poured herself a cup. She sipped it as she continued to watch Darcy sleep. Elizabeth was so deep in thought that she did not realize Colonel Fitzwilliam had returned. He stood silently in the doorway watching Elizabeth, as she watched over his sleeping cousin. Having resolved to speak with her about Darcy, Fitzwilliam spoke quietly so as not to wake him.

"Miss Bennet, it is a beautiful day. May I persuade you to join me for a turn around the garden while your charges are napping?"

"Thank you, Colonel. I think some fresh air would be wonderful." She rose and followed him into the hallway.

Like everything else about the house, the garden was charming. Although obviously well cared for, it was not ostentatious or overly manicured. Elizabeth reveled in the variety of colors and fragrances as they walked in companionable silence for several minutes. Finally Colonel Fitzwilliam stopped and gestured towards a nearby bench with a very serious expression on his face. When they were seated he began.

"Miss Bennet, first of all, I must thank you again. I thought Georgiana was grasping at straws when she wrote to you, but I see that she was correct. I know that my cousin's rapid improvement is due to your visit."

"Colonel, you must not think that--"

He interrupted her, "I do not think this, Miss Bennet. I know it. I do not mean to embarrass you, but I must speak frankly. My cousin loves you with a fierce determination I do not begin to understand."

The colonel paused here and Elizabeth was puzzled by the small smile that played about his mouth. She silently waited for Colonel Fitzwilliam to continue.

"Of course, my cousin is sometimes unreadable. Therefore, I feel I must explain certain things to you, Miss Bennet. Darcy does not do things by halves. He never has. It is therefore entirely logical that when Darcy did finally give his heart away, he would do so completely and irrevocably. I realize you never sought his love, Miss Bennet, but it is yours nonetheless. I do not think there will ever be another woman for him.

"It is not my desire to press you or meddle, but Darcy is often misunderstood. His circumstances have caused him to be guarded and cautious. I think my cousin has now dropped those defenses with you, and I hope that you will be able to return his affections one day soon. Darcy is an amazing fellow. I do not think I could not love him more if he were my brother. Therefore, I must be certain you understand that this is no infatuation or passing fancy. My cousin's attachment for you is now a portion of his very being. Please allow him the chance to change your feelings towards him, Miss Bennet."

Elizabeth lightly touched his arm. "Pray do not worry, Colonel Fitzwilliam. I do not claim to understand your cousin fully or to return his affections in kind. Yet, I am confident that I now begin to understand him."

Elizabeth paused as she considered how to explain the change in her own feelings that she had yet to define. "I think much more kindly towards Mr. Darcy than I did in Kent. Although we had been acquainted for months, I do not think I really knew him then. In fact, your cousin quite took me by surprise there. Please be assured that I will not trifle with him, and I will endeavor not to hurt him. That is all the reassurance I can give you at this point, Colonel. I will not pretend what I do not feel, but I do feel some tie to Mr. Darcy now that--a tie that was not there before."

Elizabeth blushed and looked away as she softly added. "I have given your cousin permission to call upon me at my aunt's once he is strong enough."

Colonel Fitzwilliam was immensely relieved. He also felt a little silly. Here he was trying to secure his cousin's interest, when Darcy had already acted on his own behalf.

Seeing his embarrassment, Elizabeth gently teased, "Yes, Colonel, your cousin is no Miles Standish. Even in his weakened state Mr. Darcy can be quite resolute in pursuing what he wants."

The colonel smiled. "Yes, resolute is the very word to sum up Darcy." His tone became serious again. "Thank you for giving him the resolve to recover, Miss Bennet. Georgiana and I will be forever in your debt."

Elizabeth smiled at his mention of Georgiana, "As for your younger cousin, sir, she has quite stolen my heart away. I fear you would not be able to keep me from Georgiana if you tried."

"No indeed, Miss Bennet. I would not attempt such foolishness," the Colonel replied, "for foolishness it would certainly be. Georgiana would never permit such a thing and I am learning that she can be quite as stubborn as her brother. Seeing her with you, I now realize just how much Georgie has missed growing up with two bachelors as her guardians."

"Georgiana may have missed out on the joys of sisterhood, sir, but then she has also been spared its trials and tribulations. It is quite apparent that she is well loved, and her adoration for both of you is equally obvious."

The Colonel smiled. Rising, he offered Elizabeth his arm and they continued on their walk in companionable silence. Each was lost in thought and felt no need for further conversation. As they reentered the house, the Colonel spoke. "Thank you for taking no offense at my interference, Miss Bennet. We military men are not schooled in the discussion of delicate matters. If you will but give my cousin a chance, then I am satisfied. Darcy has been alone a long time, but he is worthy of you. I am confident of that. There are few men who could deserve you, Miss Bennet, but Darcy does."

Discomfited and yet pleased by this, Elizabeth simply said, "Thank you, Colonel."

Georgiana seemed considerably stronger after her nap. Elizabeth helped her to change into a fresh gown and then escorted her back to her brother's room, as Mr. Darcy was now awake, too. Elizabeth was pleased to note that his color was much improved. The colonel soon joined them and they all shared a light supper together. Several hours in such pleasant company passed very quickly.

All too soon Elizabeth felt the necessity of their bidding the gentlemen goodnight. Georgiana did not protest, for she was tired and Elizabeth would be going down the hall with her. Darcy, however, felt the parting keenly. It disconcerted him to realize he was actually jealous of his own sister. Still, seeing the obvious affection between the two young women was very gratifying and bolstered his own hopes. As his mind was too active for sleep, Darcy gratefully accepted his cousin's offer to remain for a while and keep him company.

When the young women were safely out of earshot, Darcy could not help himself. He had to speak of Elizabeth to his kinsman. "I know that you greatly enjoyed Miss Bennet's company in Kent. Tell me, Fitzwilliam, what do you think of her on closer acquaintance?"

Knowing the depth of feeling behind this casual inquiry, Fitzwilliam was completely serious in his answer. "I think Miss Bennet is truly extraordinary, Darcy. I also think she is exactly suited to you. You cannot give up, Cousin. Miss Bennet's coming here--her concern for you and Georgiana--this should give you the will and hope to persevere for as long as it takes. However, now that Miss Bennet has seen you without that facade you often wear in company, I do not think it will take long for you to engage her affections."

Darcy was surprised that the colonel would speak so unguardedly and yet his cousin's encouragement was most welcome. "Then I have your support?"

"Darcy, you should know that you always have my support. However, if I may offer assistance in any way, or hold the family at bay for you, then you only need ask. After the last two days, I do not think you or Georgiana will be happy for long without your dear lady's company."

Seeing Darcy's nod of acquiescence, the colonel continued, "I understand that you are to call upon Miss Bennet at her aunt's."

"Yes, she gave me permission to do so, but how do you know of that, Fitzwilliam? Have you been eavesdropping?"

"No," he chuckled. "I am far too clumsy to make a successful spy. Miss Bennet mentioned it to me this afternoon."

"I am surprised that she would do so. How did you come to have such a personal discussion with Eliz--with Miss Bennet?"

"Do not fret yourself, cousin. Miss Bennet joined me for a walk in the garden this afternoon. I thought the fresh air would do her good. I was also anxious to speak to her on your behalf. However, the lady assured me that was not necessary. That you were quite capable of speaking for yourself and had, in fact, already done so."

Darcy was torn between appreciating his cousin's interference and being affronted by it. "But why would you do that, Fitzwilliam?"

"Because you need her, Darcy. Any fool can see that. Yet, you are sometimes so reserved. I had to be certain that Miss Bennet understood the depth of your affections and would return them if she could."

"You spoke to her thusly?"

"I did, and she heard me out graciously."

"And her response?" Darcy felt as if he might fly apart, so great was his anxiety to learn of Elizabeth's feelings for him.

Fitzwilliam smiled. "She did not assure me of her undying devotion, Darcy, but the lady blushed very prettily as she spoke of your request to call on her. I am convinced that her opinion of you is quite different than it was in Kent. If you woo her properly this time, I think your chances of success are excellent."

Darcy sighed with contentment at these words. "Be assured, Fitzwilliam, that I will make every effort to secure her affections."

The colonel was relieved that Darcy had taken his interference so well. He bid his cousin a good night and retired to the library for the remainder of the evening.

Georgiana was most gratified by Elizabeth's insistence that she would sleep in Georgiana's room again. Elizabeth was adamant that she wanted to be on hand in case Georgiana had need of her. Although Georgiana felt much better, she did not want to miss a minute of Elizabeth's visit. After changing into one of Georgiana's nightgowns, Elizabeth crawled into bed beside her. They remained awake for some time after blowing out the candles, talking and laughing in the dark. Finally Georgiana grew bold enough to speak of what was on her mind.

"Elizabeth, have you ever been in love before?"

"No, Georgie, I have not. I have certainly enjoyed dancing and conversing with gentlemen of my acquaintance, but I have always regarded them as friends. No one has ever touched my heart in that special way."

Thinking of her response to Darcy's endearments, Elizabeth wondered if that were still entirely true, but she quickly brought her focus back to Georgiana. "There are those young women who think themselves in love with a different man every week. I am more prosaic, if you will. I shall think myself lucky to fall in love once and hope that I will be blessed to have my feelings returned."

"You are very like Fitzwilliam, Elizabeth. I do not believe he has ever cared for a woman beyond friendship, at least not until he met you. Please do not be upset at my saying so, but if you were to return his affections someday-- Well, it would make me very happy to have you for my sister, Elizabeth."

"I think our shared adversity has already made us like sisters in some ways, Georgiana. I hope you will always think of me thusly, no matter how things are finally resolved between your brother and myself."

"You are not angry with me, Elizabeth?"

"No, Georgie, I am not angry."

"And you do not dislike my brother as you once did?"

"No, Georgie, I like your brother very much. Now go to sleep. If you are to keep him in bed tomorrow without my assistance, you will need to be well rested."

Georgiana giggled at that and then sighed. It was a sigh of pure contentment.

"Goodnight, dearest Elizabeth. I am glad to have you for my sister."

"Goodnight, Georgie."

Although Georgiana was soon sleeping peacefully beside her, Elizabeth lay awake for some time. She felt herself being overwhelmed by feelings she had yet to name but could not suppress. Did she already love Mr. Darcy? It would have seemed inconceivable three days ago, but now she found herself drawn to him. Elizabeth was just dozing off when she heard Grace whispering to her.

"Please wake up, young miss. I think you may be needed."

Elizabeth whispered, "I am coming," as she gently moved away from Georgiana. She slipped out of the bedclothes and made sure Georgiana was still sleeping peacefully before feeling for her borrowed dressing gown and slippers. Once her dressing gown was securely in place, Elizabeth reached out for the maid's hand and together they moved out into the hallway.

Neither spoke again until the door to Georgiana's room had been closed quietly behind them.

"What is it, Grace?"

"It is the master, young miss. Simms just came to get me. He looked in on Mr. Darcy and thinks his fever may be back. He went back to sit with him while I came for you. We don't know whether to send for the doctor right away or wait until morning."

"I am glad you woke me, Grace." Elizabeth was touched by the obvious concern on the maid's face and she patted her shoulder. "Let us go and check on Mr. Darcy. Then we will decide what is to be done. Did Simms wake Colonel Fitzwilliam?"

Grace looked embarrassed. "No, miss, we thought it would be best to consult you first."

Not wanting to distress her, Elizabeth smiled gently. "I am sure you are probably right. Men are not accustomed to the sickroom and we should not disturb the colonel unless there is something he can do to be of use. Otherwise, he will only worry."

Simms look enormously relieved when the two women entered his master's chamber. "Thank you for coming, miss. I am afraid the master's fever may be back."

Elizabeth could tell even in the dim light that Mr. Darcy was moving restlessly as he slept. Realizing the servants were looking to her for guidance, she walked over to the bed exhibiting more confidence than she felt. Touching his brow confirmed that Mr. Darcy was indeed feverish. However, it was not a high fever, and Elizabeth determined that it would not become one either, if they could prevent it.

"He does have a fever, but it is very slight. Let us see if we can bring it down and Mr. Darcy may not need the doctor tonight. I am sure poor Dr. Abercrombie needs his rest, too."

Elizabeth sent Simms to fetch a basin of cool water and Grace to gather flannel for compresses. As she awaited their return, Elizabeth took Darcy's hand and began to soothe him with her voice.

"Just rest, sir. I will take care of you. Grace and Simms are here to help so you must not distress yourself. All will be well." Although Darcy did not wake, his restless movements stopped and he seemed to relax.

When the servants returned, Elizabeth gently bathed Darcy's face with cool water and placed a cold compress across his forehead. She then instructed Simms to loosen the neck of his nightshirt and place another compress across his chest. Once that was done, she pulled a chair up and sat beside Darcy's bed. The fever seemed to abate quickly. When it had subsided, Elizabeth asked Simms to remove the compress on Mr. Darcy's chest and refasten his nightshirt. As she resumed her seat by Darcy's side, Elizabeth turned to address the servants.

"He seems better now. Perhaps you would remain nearby, Mr. Simms, in case Mr. Darcy requires your assistance. I will sit with him and you might rest over there where you will easily hear me call." Elizabeth gestured as she spoke to the settee, which had been returned to its usual location near the fireplace.

"Yes, miss. If I should doze, please awaken me for any reason at all."

"Do not worry, Mr. Simms, I will."

"And what of me, young miss? How might I assist you?"

"Would you mind checking on Miss Georgiana for me, Grace? I do not think you need stay with her unless she shows signs of sickness."

"Right away, young miss. I will be back soon to let you know how she fares."

Elizabeth tenderly bathed Mr. Darcy's face once more, grateful that the fever had subsided so quickly. He seemed to be resting peacefully now. She settled herself comfortably in the chair, content to watch him sleep.

Grace soon returned, "Miss Georgiana seems fine, young miss. She's in a deep natural sleep. Now what can I do for you?"

"Thank you for checking, Grace. A pitcher of fresh water would be good in case we have need of it later."

"Certainly, miss. And what about you? Is there anything I can get for you, young miss?"

"No," Elizabeth answered with a soft smile. "Mr. Darcy is better now. I need for nothing more."

Grace smiled contentedly as she left the room. She doubted the young miss even realized what she had said, but the loyal servant rejoiced at the thought of a new Mrs. Darcy in residence. What a happy day that would be.

The maid soon returned with fresh water. Elizabeth expressed her thanks and then insisted that Grace go on to bed. Mr. Simms was already dozing in the shadows.

Elizabeth remained by Darcy's side and replaced the compress on his brow several times as a precaution. Happily the fever did not return and Elizabeth felt considerable relief. She took Darcy's hand as she watched him sleeping peacefully. Finally Elizabeth nodded off, her head resting on the edge of Darcy's bed beside their joined hands.


****


Elizabeth was still sleeping when Darcy awoke the next morning. Unaware of what had passed in the night, he was surprised, but the sight of her filled him with a great tenderness. Darcy gently stroked her hair as he whispered, "Elizabeth, time to wake up, dearest. Have you been here all night?"

Elizabeth rubbed the back of her neck as she sat up. "I am sorry, sir. I did not mean to doze off. How are you this morning?"

"I feel stronger than yesterday, but what happened? I am sorry if I kept you from your rest last night."

"There is no need for apologies, Mr. Darcy. You did become feverish while you slept. Fortunately, it was only a slight fever and we were able to bring it down quickly. I'm glad you feel no ill effects from it this morning."

"We?"

"Mr. Simms suspected your fever had returned, so he sent Grace to fetch me. They were both eager to be of assistance, sir, and Mr. Simms stayed here last night as well, in case you required assistance I could not give."

Looking around, Elizabeth realized that Simms was now gone and they were quite alone. He had left the hall door wide open, but she was still overwhelmed with embarrassment. Here she was, alone with Mr. Darcy in his bedroom wearing his sister's nightclothes.

"I really am not dressed for a morning visit, Mr. Darcy. Please excuse me, sir. I should check on Georgiana."

"Elizabeth, you need not be embarrassed. To wake and see you here-- Well, I could not imagine a lovelier sight. You are a lady in every way, my dear. I have never respected anyone more in my life."

"Thank you, sir, but I must excuse myself. No doubt, your man just stepped out for a moment and will be back shortly to check on you."

Darcy squeezed her hand and then released it, but his gaze never wavered as he whispered, "Please hurry back to me, dearest."

Elizabeth heard him but was uncertain of how to respond. She smiled at Darcy shyly and then hurried away.

Georgiana was just waking when Elizabeth entered her room. Seeing the exhaustion on Elizabeth's face, Georgiana was at once anxious for her brother. "Oh, Elizabeth, is it Fitzwilliam? Has he suffered a relapse?"

"Don't be alarmed, Georgie. Your brother is well this morning. In fact, he says he feels stronger than he did yesterday. Mr. Darcy ran a slight fever in the night and Grace came seeking my assistance. We were able to bring his fever down easily, but I fell asleep in the chair."

"Poor Elizabeth, you must be worn out."

"I am a little tired, but you need not worry on my account. I am fine, Georgiana."

The colonel was already present when the ladies entered Darcy's room, and the four of them enjoyed another bedside picnic for breakfast. Dr. Abercrombie arrived as they were finishing and happily joined them for a cup of tea. The good doctor was not surprised to hear of Mr. Darcy's slight fever in the night. He said such instances were to be expected when one was recovering from a serious case. The important thing was that the fever be brought down quickly and for Mr. Darcy to continue to rest. The Doctor also allowed that Georgiana could resume her normal activities provided that she rest and eat properly.

The colonel earnestly assured Doctor Abercrombie that he would do his best to enforce the doctor's orders. He added with a smile, "After all, that is one thing I am trained for: enforcing a superior officer's orders."

"Yes," the doctor rejoined, "But have you ever had a Darcy under you command, sir?"

Everyone laughed at this. The doctor bid them good day, and Elizabeth knew it was time for her to depart as well. The colonel left them to ready the curricle to take Elizabeth home. A few minutes later Georgiana suddenly remembered something she needed from her room. Darcy was not fooled by his sister's ruse, but he appreciated her giving him a few moments with Elizabeth.

As soon as they were alone, he took her hand. "I hope you will be able to remain in town for some time, Elizabeth. The doctor has said I may not even leave the house for days. I fear it will be a while yet before he releases me to travel into Hertfordshire."

Elizabeth smiled shyly. "Now that I am here, I do hope to stay for a time, sir."

Grateful for this encouragement, Darcy returned her smile. "I am reluctant to part with you, dearest, but I know you must return to your aunt's. Please express my gratitude to her for sharing you with us. Elizabeth, I know it is too soon, and I will not ask anything of you now. Yet, I must say something, for I cannot imagine my life without you. I will give you time, my love, but I will not give you up. Thank you for giving me a second chance."

Darcy allowed his lips to linger as he kissed her hand. Elizabeth knew not how to respond to such passionate words, but she was spared by Colonel Fitzwilliam's return.

"Your carriage awaits, Miss Bennet."

"Thank you, Colonel." Elizabeth smiled warmly at Darcy, for she was eager to encourage him but uncertain of what to say. "Thank you for your hospitality, Mr. Darcy. I shall look forward to seeing you just as soon as you are fully recovered."

"Yes, you shall see me, Miss Bennet, just as soon as I am able."

Georgiana hurried into the room. "Oh, Elizabeth, I will miss you so. I would be pleased to send the carriage for you anytime you are able to call, and we shall call on you at your aunt's just as soon as Fitzwilliam is strong enough."

The two young women embraced and Elizabeth left with the colonel.

When they entered the house in Gracechurch Street, Mrs. Gardiner greeted them cheerfully. "I am glad you have come back, Lizzy, and, Colonel, how nice it is to see you again. I trust both Mr. and Miss Darcy are better this morning."

The colonel responded, "Yes, thank you, ma'am. The doctor is now confident that Darcy will recover, but it was a very near thing. Georgiana had simply exhausted herself caring for him, but she is also much better now, thanks to Miss Bennet. I must express our family's gratitude to you, Mrs. Gardiner, for sharing her with us. I know Miss Bennet came to town to assist you, but I honestly do not know what we would have done without her."

Mrs. Gardiner was gratified by this praise of her niece. She could see that Elizabeth was very tired and insisted she head right upstairs for a rest.

Elizabeth merely nodded and said, "Thank you, Colonel, for seeing me home," before leaving the room.

Turning her attention back to Colonel Fitzwilliam, Mrs. Gardiner asked, "Would you care for tea, Colonel, or do you need to get back to your cousins?"

"I would love to take tea with you another time, Mrs. Gardiner, but I promised Georgiana I would not be gone long."

"Of course, sir. My best wishes for your cousins' return to full health soon."

"Thank you, ma'am. You should be very proud of your niece. Miss Bennet is an extraordinary young woman. I think her generosity and courage may have saved my cousin's life." With a bow, he was gone.

Being a kindly woman Mrs. Gardiner was sincerely glad that Mr. Darcy and his sister were both enjoying improved health. However, she was also human and was, therefore, most anxious to know how her niece came to be so important to Mr. Darcy's well being. Well, she thought, let Lizzy have a little rest. There will be time for confidences later.


Copyright 2007 Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next