Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines

Reviews

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Friday 7th November 2008 5:06am

Good chapter.

gunny

Fishburne posted a comment on Friday 7th November 2008 3:40am

You know, the old adage of less is more NEVER applies to your stories. Always makes me happy to see an author go into such detail when fleshing out his characters and plots. The fact that you keep the characters charming and engaging is a credit to your ability.

Thank you for writing these. Your characterization of Harry and Centi, and for the most part, the other people, are fantastic and intricate. Makes me feel as if they are part of a family I just enjoy being around.

Fish

Crys posted a comment on Friday 7th November 2008 3:39am

A lot of things about the meeting with AD seemed . . . off. The fact that he left so quickly (an he seemed eager to leave) makes me worried about polyjuice. Problems there: Dobby isn't suspicious of a double, had to be keyed into wards whoever it was, Legilimens. Still could be an absolute curve-ball by having him an imposter, but maybe not. Though his use of Legilimency on Centi, after previously promising not to, is worrying.

Surprised you didn't list AD as a threat. Or at least his manipulations as one.

Liked how you distinguished Dobby's versus Winky's versus Centi's roles in his list of things to do.

Liking the story.

FenrisWolf posted a comment on Friday 7th November 2008 3:32am

I know that what happens (or for that matter doesn't happen) is important to the development of the characters and their various relationships, but this chapter is awfully dry, endeless discussions and pie charts and tables and graphics and and and and... A veritable Cornucopia of Anal Retentiveness, all well and good in its place, but only when suitably leavened with actions and interactions. Here we have a chapter released after a seven month wait, one that is significantly longer than some stories I've read -- heck, than some I've written! -- and when you get right down to it, the next thing to nothing happens!

I know a lot of people love this sort of excruciatingly slow plot development, but others among your readers (myelf included) have the attention span of a chruchmouse on Crack. Keep us in mind when you write as well, okay?

WNabors posted a comment on Friday 7th November 2008 2:55am

Another great chapter.I am really loving Centi and Harrys interaction.

Princess Fictoria posted a comment on Friday 7th November 2008 2:40am

Yay! I was so thrilled to see thise. Remarkably, this is my favorite schism of this multiverse look at the pallidin program. I like the idea of taking a minor slytherin character and using her in this way. I eagerly look forward to reading more of Harry's more slytherin approach to dealing with the war and life in general.

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Friday 7th November 2008 1:56am

Ah, good to see another chapter of this story. I do like how Harry & Centi are getting along and bringing out the best in each other and in Dobby & Winky. It should be interesting to see the further ramifications of these effects. Meanwhile, it should be very interesting to see what the meeting with Gultangk produces in this instance. Also of future interest is how Dumbledore's going to take Harry developing in ways he likely didn't expect, or at least hoped wouldn't happen.

All things considered, a most enlightening chapter.

DrT posted a comment on Friday 7th November 2008 1:35am

Nice development chapter. May we presume that the Headmaster in this story also had his little insanity problem mentioned in the other paladin stories? If so, that would explain a great deal

LifeScientist posted a comment on Friday 7th November 2008 1:01am

Another great chapter in this au of an au. Well considered characterization and the strengthening of parts of Harry's personality that I think Rowling doesn't handle well because she has an inborn objection to those who have and use power....even Dumbledore. You may want to bring forth the "G-O-A-L-S" paradigm at some point in the future (have Harry learn of it), and implement as time passes. You 've obviously referred to it already.

I look forward to further chapters of this work.
Matt

LKK posted a comment on Saturday 20th September 2008 3:39am

Great fic! I love it, you never see any good ones where Harry befriends a Slytherin and it's even more rare to see Millicent Bulstrode as a main character. Update soon?

Jimbocous posted a comment on Monday 1st September 2008 12:51pm

Looks like this is on hiatus, in favor of the other two streams, but I've got to tell you I'm really looking forward to where you end up taking this. One of the most parts of AUs is seeing implausable situations made not only believable but engaging, and this is a great example. Thanks for a fun read so far...

Anathema posted a comment on Friday 11th July 2008 11:06am

Okay, PLEASE tell me that you have more of this somewhere, already written and ready to be posted. Please? PLEASE? LoL Seriously, I must have more. Update soon!!!!!!!!!!!

timaynz posted a comment on Friday 6th June 2008 10:30pm

...
didn't I read this a few weeks ago??

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 12:49pm

Meh, got a typo in an earlier comment, it should be Northrop, not Horthrop.

Anyway, I found it interesting that this version of Harry should have his own "Aberation Day" without all of the other Palladins being affected. It will be interesting to see how his growing power, here, and his mongering abilities further affect the differences 'tween your different Palladin universes. One thing that does surprise me is that there's not a universe where the Palladins, esp. the muggle-born ones, end up the equivalent of Jannisaries.

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 3:24am

Oh, I loved the way Harry managed to manipulate things with Dumbledore to a degree that usually only Dumbledore uses with others. I really don't feel a bit sorry for Albus and I suspect things aren't going to improve for him once Minerva McGonagall parses through all that's recently occurred, esp. the points Harry's raised. It seems that Harry still managed an unusual growth period without the anomalous potion that shows up in your other two main stories. Methinks this is going to come as a great surprise for a lot of folk.

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Monday 21st April 2008 3:11am

*laughs uproariously* Well, that sounds like the "normal" Harry Potter where nothing and no one is what most would consider "normal" as he seems to serve as a strange attractor for the unusual (I'd love to see the mathematics on for *that* abstruse bit of physics). I loved how he dealt with the different scenarios in this chapter and I was continually amused by how much his abilities and power were under-rated by his oppostion; I rather doubt they'll necessarily make the same mistake again (though one can hope).

*chuckle* Actually, according to historical records, Murphy was a mechanic, employed by Horthrop, and working on the rocket sled tests Col. Stapp conducted in the early 1950s; it was there that he coined his famous law. Now, he may also have been a wizard, but he's remembered in muggle histories as an excellent mechanic.

Christopher Estep posted a comment on Tuesday 15th April 2008 2:28am

Harry and Centi whack Draco and Pansy, then tag-team Albus Percival Wulfric Brian DumbAsADoor, so how much trouble is Dudley Dursley going to be? Turns out very little (as Centi flattened hm with one punch). Still, this is definitely going to be Rather Embarrassing for Dudley; first he got knocked out by a *girl*. Worse, the girl is a w-i-t-c-h. Worse still; said w-i-t-c-h is Dating Harry. (Oh, Harry could be Real Cruel and show Dudley a Crystal-Ball view of the AU in which Dudley and Centi are *married*.)

brad posted a comment on Saturday 12th April 2008 12:15pm

After discovering that Harry had grown up so drastically overnight, was now 6'2" and presumably much more physically desirable, my first thought was "Wow! I can't wait for Hermione to see him!".

Then I realised this wasn't the right story for that. :-)

I really am suspicious about Draco in your Paladin universe. You've got me wondering. Remembering way back to his meeting with his father in Azkaban, he seemed to have sincerely turned over a new leaf, but everything since then ... it's not simple, is it? All the factors. Draco's looking out for himself, first and foremost, being a Slytherin type. Hence the embarrassment with his father's position. And I can understand his animosity for Harry could be seen as something quite separate and detached from any vow to fight for 'the light'. But maybe a simpler, more direct way for Draco to profit would be to simply wrangle a way to get his father out of jail ... and back into the Dark Lord's favour. I don't know. I continue to be mighty curious about the whole Draco thread - and the Snape sub-plot - in your "Granger Defence" story.

Back to this one ... Millicent's protection of Harry was nicely done, it read as noble and sincere, and it was good to see the shoe on the other foot for once. Right from the start I was concerned for Harry, given his total vulnerability in the presence of Draco, so I'm glad you put in that scene - Harry's fear, Malfoy's threat - as it was totally in character for both.

I like the idea of Harry's life of magical 'resistance training' having strengthened his magical muscles. In fact, I would have preferred you use that analogue - 'magical muscles' - rather than have Dumbledore hypothetically muse that it was "as if all of your originally intended magic also went through the exercising and grew from the struggle also". The latter really doesn't make sense and it feels as if Dumbledore doesn't really know, he's just making it up as he's going along. Why would Voldemort's stolen magic from Harry still benefit from his continuing resistance to keep what he still had left? But if you postulate that a wizard's magical ability is due to both a storehouse/repository of power/magic, and a physiological 'muscle' that actually directs/exerts it - maybe some part of the brain, given the nature of spells and how many are linked to will power - then it makes sense that 100% of that physical component of Harry's magical profile was always extant and being 'exercised', fighting to stop more of his repository of magic/power from being leeched away by Voldemort. No?

Anyway, I'm not sure if I've come across the notion of Harry's *scar* being used to leech his magic before. Nifty idea.

Harry's assumption that every single member of the DA got an Outstanding OWL was a bit arrogant/presumptuous, wasn't it?

I can't believe you wrote several pages all revolving around a heretofore unsuspected inability of House Elves ... to 'create plumbing'. Good grief. Why that detour?

Loved the 'good Slytherin'/'bad Slytherin' distinction. And Millicent's observation that good/bad Gryffindors are equivalent was a good chuckle.

Likewise I always have a grin when you have Snape so over-eager to de-power Harry. "Headmaster, I have the Cancellation potions right here" -- heh.

Associated with the whole Draco quandry in your main story I *am* looking forward to Harry/Snape being settled one day. Perhaps counting how many walls the latter is bounced off.

Fun chapter, thank you!

Snowdove30 posted a comment on Friday 11th April 2008 7:34am

Wonderful update. Glad that Harry and Millicent have each other. Absolutely love Centi knocking out Dudley. LOL

Christopher Patton posted a comment on Friday 11th April 2008 7:33am

Great chapter, I really like how this diverges from the other two stories and then comes back to touch the major points before going back out into the great unknown once again.

I have to admit that I find this to be the most interesting of the three stories and I'm always looking forward to seeing that it has been updated.

Thanks for creating and sharing this with us...