Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines

Reviews

wwwendy posted a comment on Tuesday 8th April 2008 12:11pm

My cousin looked at Millicent with obvious lust in his eyes and said, "Helloooo, Beautiful!"

That was unexpected.

come on, Harry...was it really THAT unexpected?

Great job! I look forward to the next chapter

atlantis-rob posted a comment on Monday 7th April 2008 11:08pm

Excellent chapter! I really dug the way harry and milly handled the oaths to deal with dumble dork and the snake tamers. Great dialogue between h and m. Keep up the awesom work, I love this story. Its a great treatment of a very unusual pairing.

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Sunday 6th April 2008 6:51pm

Got to love the fact that Harry and Centi are now best friends and kicking everyone else's arse. The Draco scene was great but Centi attacking Snape was funnier. The winner goes to Dudley saying "Hello beautiful!" though. Poor Harry, 4% sounds right to me. Good chapter. More please.

Jonathan Langford posted a comment on Sunday 6th April 2008 12:16pm

I just want to say that although I like all the stories you've set in the Paladin universe, this is my favorite of them. I'm very pleased to see that you're continuing with it.

It seemed odd to me that after having disarmed Dumbledore, Harry simply released him when Dumbledore said he would be helpful--without even demanding any explanation, or any kind of oath, or anything of that kind. It's as if both he and Dumbledore are shadowboxing, and each of them know it--that Harry is pretending he doesn't trust Dumbledore, and they both know it. I've got to believe that's what's going on, because if Harry really doesn't trust the Headmaster, then his actions are very stupid--first to alert him that he distrusts him, then to back off from it.

Okay, I think this is what's going on: The real battle is over how much control Harry will have over his own life, and how much he gets to make his own decisions. Every time Dumbledore challenges this, Harry asks why. If Dumbledore says (as he pretty much always has up to now) that Harry should trust those older and wiser, then Harry responds with all the reasons that he really doesn't have to trust the Headmaster--not because he doesn't trust him Dumbledore's motives, but because he doesn't trust his judgment. By showing that he has good reasons for mistrusting Dumbledore's motives, if he chose to interpret D's actions that way, he disarms D's arguments for leaving all strategic decisions up to him. It's a very odd scene (and we've seen scenes like this in all the stories from this set), and it's not surprising that Centi finds it a bit puzzling.

On the other hand, I suspect that she genuinely does distrust Dumbledore more, perhaps, than Harry does. With her in Harry's court, I suspect his political education will be much more rapid and thorough than in the other Paladin stories.

I'll stop blathering on now...

Crys posted a comment on Saturday 5th April 2008 11:14pm

> "I've never had a house-elf to order around, pick up after me, and teach a lesson to when they make mistakes."
> That really bothered me, and Dumbledore displayed a look of triumph on his face.

The more I think about it, the more I think this sub-scene is absolute brilliance on your part. It proves that Centi, while honestly trying to change, still has to overcome her upbringing. It also shows how AD is looking for / willing to use any wedges he can find between them. He's not wanting to help Centi, he's trying to control Harry.

The best part is that it's such a small thing. You don't beat the message into our heads. It's just there, kinda in the background. The kind of thing our subconscious will remember, even if our conscious mind doesn't.

AD's about face regarding his attitude toward Harry after seeing Vernon. Not sure what to make of that at this point. Something that I suspect will be important later, but is merely confusing at this point.

Christina C. Keimig posted a comment on Saturday 5th April 2008 2:06pm

Great chapter, and you ended it on such a high note I had to laugh aloud.

jgkitarel posted a comment on Saturday 5th April 2008 1:13pm

Well, I see that you are definitely portraying a rather damaged relationship between Harry and Albus, as well as adding so many new sources or conflict here.

Have fun with writing this.

daewos posted a comment on Saturday 5th April 2008 9:36am

At the moment this is definitely in my top three stories - the characterisation of Millicent is wonderful writing. You have made her both strong and vulnerable, a great combination.

The end of this chapter was laugh out loud funny. Any chance she will do the same to Ron and Draco???

Crys posted a comment on Saturday 5th April 2008 6:57am

> Okay, like my life needed another notch up on the Wizarding Weird-O-Meter.
*laugh*

> Centi stepped forward and rendered him unconscious in one punch.
> That wasn't at all unexpected.
Go, Centi!

> Back to normality, Harry Potter style.
That would've been a good chapter title.

Very impressive diatribe against AD. Everything was well-handled, from the words to everyone's reactions. Kudos for that. At the time, I was thinking that AD could easily get out of it if he wanted, but Harry addressed that later.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

oso983 posted a comment on Saturday 5th April 2008 1:16am

Nice, really nice!!!!!!!!!

Aelita posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 11:52pm

WOW! Please update this soon! I have never seen a Harry/Millicent story and I LOVE IT! Thanks so much!

morriganscrow posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 10:32pm

Brilliant!
I absolutely adore your Centi - she's wonderfully real, so deliciously Slytherin and an excellent match for Harry, be it in battle or in love.
The scenes with Malfoy, Dumbles and then at the end where Centi slugs Dudders were all perfect, and added so much to the quality of this entertaining fic.
I've never read this pairing before, and now am a huge fan, and, as I detest Harry/Ginny, it makes for a great read.
Keep up the fantastic job!

Cliff Bryner posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 8:58pm

Ahhh. My addiction has been releaved again. Thank you for this wonderful chapter. I'll anticipate the next, as always.

Patches posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 6:45pm

Wow! This is quite an involved chapter. I am so glad that Harry insisted that Centi receive the works on the reconstruction surgery. Now she will feel a little better about her appearance. Ron's reaction was predictable and annoying in the extreme. But that is Ron. At least Hermione and Ginny tried to subdue him. I'm glad Centi was there when Harry had to go through the potion. That was rough. The fact that Harry has phsically and magically finished the Paladin Program is great. He never does follow the "normal" path. I'm not surprised Serverus was his usual charming self. A lot has come t light about Dumbledore this time. I'm glad Harry is pushing this time. I look forward to more of this story and I look forward to Centi and Harry working together and getting to know each other better. Thanks for writing. pms

Katey posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 3:55pm

This is wonderful. The deviations from the much MORE parallel Paladin Parallel Universe have made this story my favorite out of the three. The scene with the House Elves was fantastic, as was Harry and Centi's double-teaming of Dumbledore. You write the dynamics between Harry and Centi extremely well (and that right there is a sign of how well, since she's always been Millicent to me, no matter how much I've liked her as a minor HP character). They give each other much needed backbone--not to stand up to their rivals and enemies, which they do very well, but to stand up to their friends and Housemates. Fantastic. I've always liked a Gryffindor Harry Potter with a Slytherin girl simply because it gives him room to grow emotionally, and you've written that relationship so well. I look forward to more.

Matt posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 2:50pm

You note in the headers that this will be the "last chapter". If so, that is unfortunate as these are of a far higher quality than the main universe chapters--largely because the characters are asked to grow in ways that exceed JKR's rendering whereas your main stream chapters necessarily can only add to what she has done, given the relationships etc.
I hope that you do have a plan to take this story further.
Matt

jimnjoye posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 1:55pm

Very good chapter. I like this story even better than "Great Scott, Potter" and "The Granger Defense". My only complaint is that you put both Snape and Dumbledore over a barrel (and even McGonagall), then you let them off without us getting a good explanation for their actions. It drives me crazy. Well, until your next chapter, keep up the good work.

bonnie posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 1:37pm

Great chapter. I really like how Centi and Harry's relationship is developing and that She called the Headmaster on neglecting his responsibilities to teach Harry what he needs to know about his family heritage and his place in the Wizarding world

Anaknisatanas posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 1:37pm

Oh, what a great way to end a chapter. I love this story so much! It differs a bit from the other Paladin verse stories but that might be part of why I like it so much, along with the fact that I like rare pairings. I'm eagerly awaiting the next updates!

berni posted a comment on Friday 4th April 2008 12:27pm

very nice! Love Millicent in this chapter...