Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next
Prologue - from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Chapter 3


Elizabeth Bennet had been obliged, by the scarcity of gentlemen, to sit down for two dances; and during part of that time Mr. Darcy had been standing near enough for her to overhear a conversation between him and Mr. Bingley, who came from the dance for a few minutes, to press his friend to join it.
"Come, Darcy," said he, "I must have you dance. I hate to see you standing about by yourself in this stupid manner. You had much better dance."
"I certainly shall not. You know how I detest it, unless I am particularly acquainted with my partner. At such an assembly as this it would be insupportable. Your sisters are engaged, and there is not another woman in the room whom it would not be a punishment to me to stand up with."
"I would not be so fastidious as you are," cried Bingley, "for a kingdom! Upon my honour, I never met with so many pleasant girls in my life as I have this evening; and there are several of them, you see, uncommonly pretty."
"You are dancing with the only handsome girl in the room," said Mr. Darcy, looking at the eldest Miss Bennet.
"Oh! She is the most beautiful creature I ever beheld! But there is one of her sisters sitting down just behind you, who is very pretty, and I dare say very agreeable. Do let me ask my partner to introduce you."
"Which do you mean?" and turning round, he looked for a moment at Elizabeth, till catching her eye, he withdrew his own and coldly said, "She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me; and I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me."

Chapter 1 - A Truth Universally Acknowledged


It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, line one


Elizabeth Bennet wholeheartedly agreed with the general consensus that her sister Jane was the prettiest girl in Meryton. It bothered her not a whit that Jane was prettier, for Elizabeth knew that she was also uncommonly pretty. Confident of this, Elizabeth was not affronted by Mr. Darcy's unkind remark. In fact, she found it rather amusing.

What a strange man, she thought. Elizabeth loved the study of character, and the unknown Mr. Darcy now intrigued her considerably. What would cause a man who was surely sensible to behave so strangely? She had met with snobbery before, but there seemed to be something more behind his odd behavior.

Why would a gentleman come to a dance and then stand around by himself all evening? Mr. Darcy had yet to converse with anyone outside his own party, but he did not seem particularly interested in their company either.

Seeing that the gentleman himself was now casting anxious glances her way, Elizabeth smiled in private delight. Yes, she thought, making Mr. Darcy's acquaintance, as such, should be most diverting, but how to accomplish it?

Darcy felt his uneasiness increasing. He was never comfortable with crowds of strangers, and now he feared the young lady had overheard his insult. Although he had refused to acknowledge as much to Bingley, Darcy now found himself thinking that this other Miss Bennet was strikingly attractive.

Being occupied thusly, Darcy did not see Sir William Lucas moving towards him until avoidance was no longer possible. Elizabeth had noticed, however, and was quite pleased. While not a very clever man, Sir William was quite sociable and a determined matchmaker. Elizabeth knew that if she merely walked that way, Sir William would insist on making the introduction she so desired.

Once Sir William had engaged the reluctant Mr. Darcy in conversation, Elizabeth rose and sauntered toward the refreshment table, which was just beyond the gentlemen. Sir William, of course, demanded her attention as Elizabeth drew near.

"Oh, Miss Elizabeth, have you met Mr. Darcy? He is the friend of our new neighbor at Netherfield."

As Sir William made the introduction, Elizabeth's behavior was all that was proper. However, she could not control her smile. Seeing the mischievous gleam in her eye, Darcy's fear was confirmed. She had heard him. Honor now demanded that he make amends, but how? Perhaps, if he asked her to dance it would suffice. Then he would be spared the embarrassment of owning his faux pas.

"Miss Bennet, would you do me the honor of dancing the next with me?"

"What a handsome offer, Mr. Darcy, especially as we are not particularly acquainted." Elizabeth's dimples deepened as she teased him further. "I thank you, sir, but I find myself preferring punch to dancing at present. Perhaps, you might be tempted to join me."

Determined to gracefully accept whatever punishment the lady deemed appropriate, Darcy bowed and said, "Certainly, Miss Bennet. Please allow me to get some punch for you."

Gratified to have brought two such handsome young people together, Sir William continued on his rounds. Elizabeth was quite content to forego further dancing under the circumstances, as she anticipated that conversing with Mr. Darcy should prove to be most amusing. She resumed her seat and happily waited for the gentleman to join her.

Darcy felt considerable trepidation as he returned carrying two glasses of punch. As a man who commanded respect in any circle, he was not used to being teased, and the lady had most definitely been teasing him. She did not appear to be angry in the least, but rather to have found a source of secret amusement in his boorish behavior. It was puzzling. Most single young women of Darcy's acquaintance were only interested in matrimony and were, therefore, all too eager to please an eligible bachelor. Darcy took some small comfort in the thought that he would evidently be spared those types of attentions from Miss Bennet.

Nearing the lady, Darcy sighed and squared his shoulders. Well, if he must spend a half hour's time in the lady's company as penance for his rudeness, so be it. Darcy would do his duty. A half hour of Miss Bennet's revenge could not be any more tedious than a half hour of fending off Miss Bingley's overtures.

Caroline Bingley was the unmarried sister of Darcy's friend and host Charles Bingley, and her undignified pursuit of Darcy was a source of continual irritation. She could not grasp the fact that Darcy had no interest in her. Had he not been genuinely fond of Bingley, Darcy would have dropped the acquaintance long ago just to avoid the man's sister, but there were few whom Darcy considered true friends. Therefore, he did his best to fend her off as politely as possible. Still, it was very tiresome.

These thoughts led Darcy to the conclusion that he would infinitely prefer Miss Bennet's playful taunts to Miss Bingley's pointed attentions. However, to his considerable surprise and relief, Miss Bennet made no further references at all to his earlier rudeness. Perhaps, the lady was satisfied that he had suffered enough.

Elizabeth had, in fact, decided to leave off teasing Mr. Darcy, at least for the present. Perhaps, he was simply nervous in company, an affliction that she well understood. After all, her dearest sister Jane was rather shy of strangers. Of course, Jane was so beautiful and soft-spoken that she never offended anyone, even when she was very ill at ease herself. Elizabeth, however, always watched over Jane if she knew her sister to be anxious. Tonight Jane was surrounded by her family and friends, and she was clearly enjoying their new neighbor's attentions so Elizabeth felt no particular worry for her sister's peace. Perhaps Mr. Darcy merely has no one to watch over him, she thought. Elizabeth resolved to understand the gentleman better before she made up her mind to dislike him.

To Darcy's delight, he found Elizabeth Bennet to be a most engaging conversationalist. She was not only lively and charming, but she was also quite well read. That was certainly not common among the young women of his acquaintance. Caroline Bingley was forever attempting to impress Darcy by pretending to have read something she plainly had not.

Darcy quickly decided that Elizabeth was not attempting to impress him at all. It a most refreshing change, as she seemed more intent upon understanding him than with proving her worth. Darcy warmed to Elizabeth's sincere interest and they were soon chatting amiably. It was a shared delight to discover that they had read many of the same authors. Elizabeth eagerly solicited Darcy's opinions on various works and did not hesitate to offer her own. While Darcy did not agree with all of her conclusions, they were well reasoned and Elizabeth became quite animated in explaining her views. Her knowledge of Latin and Greek texts also commanded Darcy's respect. Most of the young ladies he encountered in London read little enough in their native tongue.

Darcy could not recall when he had conversed so easily with an attractive young woman, and when Elizabeth asked about the irrigation methods he used at Pemberley, Darcy's shyness was completely forgotten. Although a gentleman of the first order, Darcy had the heart of a farmer. He loved his land and took a very active role in the management of his estate. Her comments and questions made it clear that Elizabeth's reading encompassed her father's agricultural journals, and Darcy was delighted to tell her of his plans for Pemberley.

Darcy was fascinated by the young woman before him. He definitely remembered someone saying that Mr. Bennet's estate was entailed, but Elizabeth showed an understanding of its management that far surpassed that of the few ladies Darcy knew who actually would inherit their father's lands. Darcy was both surprised and disappointed when the set was over. The time had passed far too quickly, and Darcy chaffed at propriety's demand that he relinquish Elizabeth's company.

Reluctantly he rose and bowed. "I have greatly enjoyed our conversation, Miss Elizabeth. If you are so inclined, I would be honored to dance the last set with you."

"Thank you, Mr. Darcy," she said with a smile. "That would be very agreeable, sir. I shall look forward to it."

Seeing another young man moving towards her, Darcy reluctantly bowed again and stepped away. Of course, he could not monopolize the lady all evening. That would surely raise speculation and gossip. Darcy also chided himself not to read too much into Miss Elizabeth's acceptance of him as a dance partner. Had she refused his second invitation, propriety would have demanded the lady forego dancing for the rest of the evening.

Still, Darcy was gratified by her acceptance. He found himself looking forward to dancing with Miss Elizabeth. That was most unusual as Darcy could not remember the last time he had actually wanted to dance at all. Usually Darcy looked forward to the last set because it signaled the end of another tedious evening. Without hesitation, he positioned himself for a good view of Miss Bennet and her current partner. He found it extremely pleasurable to watch her graceful movements for the lady danced as well as she talked.

Darcy's considerable enjoyment in watching Elizabeth Bennet dance was interrupted by Caroline Bingley. Caroline had observed Darcy sitting with one of the Bennet girls throughout the previous set. Had she not been dancing at the time, Caroline would have moved to separate them immediately. As that was not possible, she had to content herself with watching them closely which had proven less than reassuring, as Caroline distinctly saw Darcy smile at the country upstart at least twice. Darcy rarely smiled, and she had never seen him smile so at a woman. Jealousy, of course, did not enhance Caroline's charms.

Her voice dripping with disdain, Caroline began with an appeal to Darcy as a fellow sophisticate. "Ah, poor Mr. Darcy, how bored you must be to actually engage in conversation with one of these rustics."

"On the contrary, Miss Bingley, I think your brother will be quite content with the society in Hertfordshire," Darcy politely disagreed. "I was most pleasantly entertained by my conversation with Miss Elizabeth Bennet. She is a truly accomplished young woman. In fact, I have encountered few who are so well read, and with such decided opinions, too. I assure you I have been most agreeably engaged."

That said, Darcy promptly forgot the lady at his side, as he returned to watching the other--the one who did interest him--dance. A lone curl had escaped its confines to trail down the nape of Elizabeth's neck. When the figures of the dance denied Darcy a view of her very fine eyes, he found himself drawn to that curl. His mind actually wandered to the prospect of winding that errant curl around his finger and perhaps brushing the soft skin beneath it. Realizing that such reflections would not do, Darcy cast about for a suitable diversion.

Fortunately, the lady by his side was the perfect antidote for rising desire, and she was determined to claim his attention. Realizing that Darcy's gaze was now fixed on Elizabeth Bennet, Caroline launched a new attack on the lady. In was simply beyond her ken that a woman from the backwaters of Hertfordshire could rival herself for accomplishments.

"It is kind of you to speak so generously of my brother's neighbors, but we are friends, Mr. Darcy. You may speak candidly with me. I am certain the remarks of an Eliza Bennet cannot truly equal the manner of discourse afforded us in the broader society of town."

"No, you are quite right, Miss Bingley. I found Miss Elizabeth's conversation far superior to most of what passes for discourse within our circle. Now, if you will excuse me, madam, I must go and claim my partner for the last set."

Caroline Bingley's outrage at Darcy's persistent praise of Elizabeth Bennet was nothing compared to the anger she felt upon seeing him now claim that lady as his partner. Caroline had assumed that Darcy was engaged to dance the last with her sister Mrs. Hurst. After all, everyone knew that Darcy did not care to dance unless his partner was a particular acquaintance. Caroline's dissatisfaction was compounded by the fact that she herself was not engaged for the final set of the evening, leaving her no choice but to sit in jealous rage, as she watched Darcy and his chosen partner from afar.

The result of Caroline's denigration of Elizabeth Bennet was not at all what she had intended, for Darcy's admiration of Elizabeth was only heightened by Caroline's slights. While Darcy was already quite interested in Elizabeth Bennet, Caroline Bingley had unwittingly solidified his estimation of Elizabeth's worth by her own contrasting behavior. Darcy was, in fact, most grateful for Caroline's assistance as he now realized just how very much he wanted to engender Elizabeth's good opinion.

As he was leading Elizabeth onto the dance floor, Darcy surprised her by apologizing for his earlier insult. "Miss Elizabeth, I was unhappy and upset earlier this evening, and without thinking I said something to Mr. Bingley that I wish I had not--"

Elizabeth blushed as she interrupted him, "Please, Mr. Darcy, my father has always warned me that those who eavesdrop should not be surprised if they do not like what they hear. There is no need for you to apologize."

"But I am truly sorry. What I said was not only unkind, it was completely untrue." His voice dropped to a whisper as Darcy daringly continued, "I hope you will forgive me, for in truth I find you very tempting, Miss Elizabeth."

Elizabeth blushed anew as she replied softly, "Very well, sir, it will be as if it never happened."

Emboldened by the look of gladness in Darcy's eyes, Elizabeth playfully continued, "That is, of course, conditional upon your remaining charming and attentive, sir. Should you displease me in the future, I cannot promise that your earlier slight will not be held against you once more."

Darcy actually laughed as he confessed, "I do not have a great deal of experience in being charming, Miss Elizabeth, as my friends can well attest, but please be assured I will make a special effort on your behalf."

"Then I shall look forward to it, sir."

They said little else as they danced, but both enjoyed the set immensely. Darcy found himself eagerly anticipating every movement where he would be close to Elizabeth or allowed to touch her hand. Whenever the dance allowed, Darcy's eyes were firmly fixed on hers and a slight smile played about his lips. Elizabeth returned his smiles demurely, but found her heart was beating rapidly.

Caroline Bingley was not the only one who watched Darcy dancing with Elizabeth. Darcy's admiration of her was plain to the entire room. Earlier the locals had been abuzz over Mr. Bingley's noticeable preference for Jane Bennet. However, by the conclusion of the final set, the ladies of Meryton were all watching Mr. Bingley's friend and Miss Elizabeth most intently. Although Darcy had remained distant from the general populace, his obvious admiration for one of their own inclined the good people of Meryton to accept him. Perhaps, he would improve upon closer acquaintance.

When the music drew to a close, Darcy tucked Elizabeth's hand into the crook of his arm. "Please allow me to escort you to your family, Miss Elizabeth. I would be most happy to properly make their acquaintance."

Elizabeth maintained the appearance of calm as she thanked him. Inwardly, however, she was praying that her mother and younger sisters would exercise some restraint during the introductions. She need not have worried.

Mrs. Bennet had been happy to gossip the night away with her friends, openly speculating about Jane and Mr. Bingley. However, a man of Mr. Darcy's consequence was far beyond her expectations--and he seemed to be interested in Elizabeth, no less. Mrs. Bennet was awed by the prospect and eager to cause him no offense. She was quite satisfied to see Mr. Darcy escorting Elizabeth across the room, and sharply admonished the younger girls to stand up straight and be on their best behavior. Even Lydia complied after her mother pinched her arm. As her mother's favorite Lydia was seldom chastised for any infraction. Anxious to remain the favorite, she stood demurely by her mother's side, wondering at this sudden anxiety to impress the tall somber stranger.

Elizabeth was able to introduce Mr. Darcy to her mother and sisters without any embarrassment. "--I am sorry, sir, that I cannot also introduce you to my father. He did not accompany us this evening."

Darcy was all politeness as he replied, "That is regrettable. I trust Mr. Bennet is well."

"Oh, yes, thank you, Mr. Darcy," Mrs. Bennet answered quickly. "My husband is quite well. Mr. Bennet prefers smaller, family gatherings and so we left him to his books this evening."

"I quite understand, Mrs. Bennet," Darcy assured her, "as I am fond of a good book myself. I look forward to making your husband's acquaintance during my stay at Netherfield."

"Mr. Bennet would enjoy that as well, Mr. Darcy," Mrs. Bennet assured him. "You must visit us at Longbourn while you are in the neighborhood."

"Thank you for the invitation, Mrs. Bennet. I will look forward to calling upon you at the earliest opportunity. Now, however, I see my party is waiting so I will bid you goodnight, ladies." Darcy bowed to the Bennet ladies in general before turning to Elizabeth. He kissed her hand. "Thank you for the dance, Miss Elizabeth. I enjoyed it very much."

"As did I, Mr. Darcy. Goodnight, sir."

Mrs. Bennet managed to contain herself until they were in the carriage. Although Elizabeth was amazed at her mother's restraint, she was also exceedingly grateful for it.

"Oh, Lizzy, your father has always said how clever you are. I confess I never thought it so, but Mr. Darcy! Ooh! You are a clever, girl."

Mrs. Bennet left off her raptures and began admonishing the younger girls that they were to be very careful in Mr. Darcy's presence. He must see that all the Bennet girls were well brought up young ladies. This was most important for if Mr. Darcy fell in love with Lizzy, then he might introduce them to other rich men. She prattled on all the way home. Mr. Bingley and his five thousand a year were quite forgotten in Mrs. Bennet's enthusiasm for Mr. Darcy.


****


Mrs. Bennet was the sort of woman who gave more credence to her own fancies than she did to the true facts of any given situation. Therefore, she was the only Bennet who was not surprised that Mr. Darcy came to call upon them the very next morning. She greeted him quite civilly and instructed Mary to ring for tea.

"It is so nice to see you this morning, sir. Kitty, please go and invite your father to join us so that he might meet Mr. Darcy. Do sit down, sir. Lizzy dear, move Kitty's sewing aside so that Mr. Darcy might have a seat."

Mrs. Bennet's maneuver of Mr. Darcy into the seat beside Elizabeth did not surprise any of her daughters. However, the delicacy and ease with which she accomplished it was most uncharacteristic. Breathing a silent sigh of relief, Elizabeth smiled up at Darcy as he happily joined her on the sofa.

Mrs. Bennet, who was never at a loss for words, continued the conversation, "It is a beautiful morning. I am surprised you are not out shooting, sir."

Darcy looked a little self-conscious as he replied, "Actually Mr. Bingley did invite me to shoot with him this morning, Mrs. Bennet. Although I enjoy the sport, I just did not find myself so inclined today. It seemed like the perfect day for a ride, so I decided to accept your kind invitation to call."

"Well, we are most happy that you did, Mr. Darcy. Ah, here's Mr. Bennet."

Having heard all about Mr. Darcy's attentions to Elizabeth the previous evening, Mr. Bennet was truly anxious to make the man's acquaintance. He was astonished when Mrs. Bennet introduced them very politely with almost none of her usual fluttering and carrying on. If this was the effect of Mr. Darcy's presence on his wife, Mr. Bennet decided that Darcy might be a convenient fellow to have around.

The visit passed quite pleasantly and all too soon Darcy realized he should go. Sensing his reluctance to leave and thinking him a sensible young man, Mr. Bennet extended an invitation for Darcy to dine with them the following day, if his friends at Netherfield could spare him. The invitation was gratefully accepted.

Although she had behaved remarkably well throughout the visit, Mrs. Bennet was still, however, Mrs. Bennet and could not resist throwing Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth together just a bit.

"Lizzy, Jane, walk out with Mr. Darcy. I want you girls to gather the last of the fall herbs. Perhaps, Mr. Darcy would like to see the gardens before he goes."

Darcy allowed that he would indeed enjoy a stroll through the gardens of Longbourn. He had encountered enough matchmaking mamas to realize what Mrs. Bennet was about, of course. However, in this instance it worked to his advantage so Darcy was not the least bit affronted. He rather appreciated Mrs. Bennet's assistance.

Darcy's patent delight eased Elizabeth's embarrassment. At least Mama had sent Jane out with her. Of course, propriety demanded as much, but Elizabeth knew her mother would easily cast decorum aside when it suited her purposes. The sisters stopped in the hallway for their wraps.

Darcy instantly reached to take Elizabeth's shawl from her. "Please allow me to assist you, Miss Elizabeth."

Feeling pleased for her sister, Jane pretended not to notice this marked attention, and tactfully excused herself to fetch a basket for the herbs.

Darcy carefully placed the shawl around Elizabeth's shoulders, his fingers lingering lightly for only a moment. He was rewarded with a shy smile.

"Thank you, Mr. Darcy."

Although there was little left in bloom this time of year, Darcy could see that the Longbourn gardens were well planned and well tended. The three of them wandered the various pathways amiably for some time. As Elizabeth animatedly described the different plantings, Darcy could almost envision the gardens in full bloom. He found her enthusiasm positively enchanting.

When they had made a complete circuit, Jane set about gathering the herbs. She refused Elizabeth's assistance, insisting there was little left to gather, and Darcy happily seized the opportunity for a relatively private conversation with Elizabeth.

"Would you care to sit with me, Miss Elizabeth?" he asked, gesturing to a nearby bench.

They sat in companionable silence for a moment before Darcy said, "I can imagine this must be a delightful place when in full bloom."

"Yes," Elizabeth eagerly agreed. "When everything is in blossom this is one of my favorite spots. Even now I can almost imagine that I smell the fragrance of the mid-summer flowers--" Realizing she was getting 'swept away' as her mother called it, Elizabeth blushed and said, "I suppose that sounds silly, sir, and here I had fooled you into thinking I was quite a sensible young lady."

"It is not silly at all, Miss Elizabeth," Darcy reassured her. "Fragrance can be truly intertwined with memories. My dear mother, for instance, loved roses. She always wore that fragrance and roses were scattered throughout our home when in season. She has been dead for many years now, but I still think of her whenever I smell roses. The reverse is also true. I cannot think on her long, but I smell her perfume."

"I am sorry, Mr. Darcy. It must have been difficult to lose your mother at such a young age."

"It was, Miss Elizabeth, but we will speak of that another time. Today is far too beautiful for such solemn conversation." Darcy leaned toward her and continued softly, "I believe we were discussing fragrances. Just as my mother loved roses, I believe that you, Miss Elizabeth, favor the scent of lavender. I hope I am correct, for after last night, I think a whiff of lavender will always cause me to think of you."

Elizabeth colored with pleasure as she averted her gaze. "I am impressed, sir. I doubt many gentleman would notice such things."

Darcy found himself wanting to touch her cheek. Of course he would not attempt such a liberty but Darcy was surprised at the strength of the impulse. Instead he gazed at Elizabeth and waited until she lifted her eyes to meet his. Only then did he speak.

"I think it takes the right inspiration for a man to find himself interested in such things. I must admit I am not always so observant, nor so talkative."

Elizabeth laughed as she said, "So then you could not tell me what scent Miss Bingley prefers? Or what flowers Mrs. Hurst favors?"

Darcy laughed along with her, "No, Miss Elizabeth, I could not, for they do not inspire me." His tone became more serious as Darcy quietly added, "Now, as for you, Miss Elizabeth--well, I must confess that I find you very inspiring."

While other young men had admired her, Elizabeth had not experienced such particular attentions before and she felt her pulse quicken. It was Elizabeth's habit to resort to wit when something made her uncomfortable and she relied upon that strategy now, teasing Darcy to break the tension she felt.

"Thank you, sir. I do not think I have ever been deemed 'inspiring' before. I believe I have been called 'exasperating,' 'entertaining' and even 'impertinent' but never 'inspiring.' That has a much more poetic ring to it. I am in your debt for such an epitaph, Mr. Darcy."

Darcy laughed. He was not the least bit disconcerted by her playfulness. On the contrary, he delighted in the quickness of her thoughts and feelings. "You, Miss Elizabeth, are not only inspiring. You are also delightful, and I must be going before Miss Bingley sets the hounds on me."

Now it was Elizabeth's turn to laugh with delight. She was enormously pleased to learn that Mr. Darcy, who had initially seemed so serious, indeed had a sense of humor. Darcy thanked both sisters for their hospitality and expressed his pleasure at the thought of seeing them tomorrow.

Jane and Elizabeth lingered outside for some time. It was a mild, sunny day and they both enjoyed the peace of the garden.

"Lizzy," Jane began, "I do not mean to pry, but I must say that I like Mr. Darcy. He seems very kind and agreeable."

When Elizabeth did not reply immediately, Jane gently continued, "I think he must like you very much to call so soon."

"I like him, too, Jane, or at least I like what I know of him. I must confess my first impression of Mr. Darcy was not very favorable, but I think that is because he is shy with strangers. I realize now he is truly amiable. Mr. Darcy is a clever, well-read man and he did not seem to be the least bit affronted by my having opinions of my own. Now, that is a rare virtue in a man."

"Oh, Lizzy," said Jane fondly, "you are just too clever for most men. The fact that Mr. Darcy respects your opinions may mean you have at last met a man whose intelligence equals your own."

"And what of Mr. Bingley, dear Jane. I have wanted to ask, did you find him as agreeable as I found his friend?"

Jane blushed slightly, "Yes, Lizzy. He is a most pleasing young man. We did not engage in any serious or lengthy conversation so I would not think I know Mr. Bingley as well as you know Mr. Darcy. Yet, I am certain he is very charming. His manners and conversation are just what a young man's ought to be. I hope we shall see them both very often."

"So do I, Jane."

Arm in arm, the sisters returned to the house where Mrs. Bennet was already busy in a flurry of activity planning tomorrow's dinner.

Darcy enjoyed the ride back to Netherfield. His spirits were lighter than they had been since--well, for some time-- Darcy quickly cast his unpleasant memories aside, determined that nothing would spoil his delight in the day. It was a beautiful day and Darcy was exceedingly pleased over his success with Elizabeth thus far. Darcy had never been able to converse easily with young women, and he had certainly never engaged in idle flirtations. Yet, there was something about Elizabeth that made him feel easy. He found himself speaking to her of what he thought and felt without analyzing every possible nuance, as was his long time habit. Darcy felt as if he could talk to Elizabeth forever, and happily, she seemed to enjoy his company as well.

Darcy arrived at Netherfield just in time to join his hosts for lunch. As usual Bingley was delighted by the morning's activities. Of course, it had long been Darcy's opinion that Bingley was delighted by almost everything.

"I say, we had marvelous shooting this morning, did we not, Hurst? It is a pity you did not come with us, Darcy. Did you have a pleasant ride?"

"I did, thank you," was Darcy's succinct reply.

"Were you out riding all this time?" Bingley politely pressed.

"No, I called at Longbourn this morning."

Bingley whose suspicions had been raised the night before could not resist teasing his friend, "And how is Miss Elizabeth this morning?"

Without batting an eye, Darcy replied, "The Bennets are all quite well, thank you, Bingley. I passed a very pleasant morning in their company. In fact, I have been invited to dinner there tomorrow evening."

Bingley was surprised at such directness from his friend who was always so circumspect. While Bingley had thought Darcy might prefer Elizabeth Bennet, he had never dreamed Darcy would call so soon. "Well, I must admit I am surprised, Darcy. You say that I am impulsive, but here the recalcitrant bachelor is rushing in far faster than I would dare."

Darcy merely smiled and continued eating his lunch. Meanwhile, Mrs. Hurst watched her sister in concern. Caroline was clearly seething, but striving to regain her composure. As usual when her emotions were high, Caroline Bingley could not control her tongue.

"Really, Mr. Darcy, I cannot believe that you would desert us for the likes of the Bennets. They are nobody in the grander scheme of things."

Darcy did not raise his voice, but his gaze was steely as he replied, "On the contrary, while the Bennets may not be active participants in London society, Mr. Bennet is a gentleman. His family has held Longbourn for countless generations. His daughters are, therefore, a gentleman's daughters and as such should be accorded the proper respect."

Bingley was not the least affronted by this opinion. In fact, he agreed with Darcy. While his father's success in trade enabled Bingley to live a gentleman's life, he knew this was not the same as Mr. Bennet's claim to that title. Bingley was content to be proud of his father's success and grateful for the opportunities it afforded him.

Caroline on the other hand was obsessed with what she could not have. She wanted to be a lady of the first rank, something that would never happen unless she was able to marry very well, indeed. Without another word, she flounced from the room, wanting to scratch Elizabeth Bennet's eyes out. With a murmured apology, Mrs. Hurst followed her, hoping to soothe Caroline's ruffled feathers before she broke something expensive. The gentlemen continued with lunch as though nothing had happened.


Copyright 2007 Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next