Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

In the original novel Austen refers to Darcy's uncle as the Earl of ----. For convenience I have assigned him the title Earl of Carlisle in this story, Carlisle being the name of an extinct earldom.

Chapter Three - Attentions and Intentions
...for jealousy had not yet made her (Caroline Bingley) desperate,
and her attentions to Mr. Darcy were by no means over.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, Chapter 45


As he was dressing the following morning Darcy realized that he had, in fact, been neglecting his host. His delightful preoccupation with Elizabeth Bennet had left room for little else in Darcy's thoughts. Bingley was, of course, too agreeable to take offense, but Darcy had no desire to trespass upon his friend's forgiving nature. Determined to rectify his error without forfeiting today's planned visit to Longbourn, Darcy resolved to invite Bingley to accompany him. Delighted to find Bingley alone in the breakfast parlor, Darcy immediately set about persuading his friend to join him in calling on the Bennets.

"--You certainly seemed to enjoy the eldest Miss Bennet's company at the Assembly," Darcy reminded his host, "and you are tired of shooting. You said so yourself, Bingley. Why not ride to Longbourn with me? It will give you the opportunity to further your acquaintance with the Bennets."

"Thank you, Darcy," Bingley replied somewhat stiffly, "but I am not ready to entangle myself. I would not want anyone to misunderstand my intentions."

"Bingley, it is simply a morning visit," Darcy said with a shrug. "Come or not, as you choose, but you seem rather out of sorts this morning. In fact, you sound like-- Well, you do not seem to be yourself."

Even though Darcy had stopped himself from saying it, Bingley realized that he had sounded like Caroline.

"I am sorry, Darcy," he said with a sigh. "You are quite right. I am not myself. Caroline came downstairs for dinner yesterday and she was relentless in her criticism of the local society in general and the Bennets in particular. I am afraid that I allowed her to carry on because it was simply easier to listen than it would have been to stop her. I must not do so in the future. It would seem that Caroline's diatribes--in addition to being most unpleasant to endure--do sometimes have a residual effect."

Darcy gave his friend an understanding smile as he breathed a silent prayer of thanks that he not been present for Caroline's denunciation of Hertfordshire. Hoping to cheer Bingley he asked again, "So then, am I to have the pleasure of your company this morning? It looks to be a very fine day."

Bingley held back a laugh at this as it decidedly looked like rain, but he agreed nonetheless. After all, the opportunity to observe his besotted friend in the company of Miss Elizabeth would be worth a soaking and he would enjoy knowing her elder sister better. In addition to her considerable beauty, Bingley had found Miss Bennet a most agreeable companion.

"Yes, Darcy," he replied with a smile, "I think I will join you. I really should become better acquainted with my neighbors."

"Especially the pretty ones," Darcy added with a laugh.

Her head held high, Caroline Bingley swept into the breakfast parlor a short while later, but to her great disappointment only the servants were there to admire her regal entrance. Although Caroline never stooped to consider what her inferiors' opinions might be of her, it would have infuriated her to know that the entire Netherfield staff regarded her with contempt. While they allowed that Mr. Bingley was very polite and gentlemanlike, the Netherfield servants universally regarded his unmarried sister as an ill-mannered, pretentious shrew. Her continual criticism of the Bennets had only increased the staff's dislike of Caroline. While he might not be as wealthy as some, Mr. Bennet was considered to be a very fine man and the best landlord and master in Hertfordshire. Even though his wife was something of a silly goose, to have Mr. Bennet for a master was considered the most desirable of service situations. It had not escaped the servant's notice that Caroline stubbornly refused to admit the truth. Elizabeth Bennet was the daughter of a gentleman--something Caroline Bingley was not.

Caroline had, in fact, decided that the Bennets were merely what passed for gentry in the wilds of Hertfordshire. Surely sufficient time in their company would convince Mr. Darcy that these rustics were beneath him. As a matter of course, he would then recognize the truth that she was the only woman here worthy of his attentions. To that end Caroline had insisted her maid redress her hair twice that morning before she declared it acceptable to the servant's great relief. Confident that this latest fashion would attract Mr. Darcy's notice, Caroline sallied from her chambers intent upon displaying her own infinite superiority over the likes of Eliza Bennet. She was, therefore, quite furious that the gentlemen had already departed for the stables. The two servants in attendance shared a knowing smirk behind her back, certain that avoiding Caroline's company had been the gentlemen's tacit reason for hastening on their way.

It had been far too early for a morning visit when Darcy and Bingley abandoned the breakfast table, but the gentlemen had justified their early departure by declaring their desire to ride in earnest before turning toward Longbourn. Fortunately the clouds held back for a time and the gentlemen were still dry when they reached their true destination. No sooner had they been shown into the Longbourn morning room than it began to rain. To Darcy's surprise all the ladies of Longbourn were within save the one he most desired to see. Mrs. Bennet welcomed them warmly although she did appear to be somewhat preoccupied. Darcy returned her greetings politely, but he was anxious to know why Elizabeth was not present. It was only by great force of will that he answered the dictates of propriety instead of demanding her whereabouts immediately.

"I hope you do not mind that I invited Mr. Bingley to join me this morning, Mrs. Bennet."

"No, of course not, Mr. Darcy," she reassured him. "It is very good of you to bring Mr. Bingley. Kitty, please go and tell your father that the gentlemen are here. I am sure he will be well pleased to see you both. Please sit down, sirs."

The fact that she had not mentioned summoning Elizabeth caused Darcy's already considerable apprehension to increase. He hid it admirably, but knowing Darcy well, Bingley discerned his friend's anxiety. Wanting to ease Darcy's mind, Bingley ventured to ask, "And what of Miss Elizabeth this morning? I trust that she is well."

Although the inquiry had been directed to her mother, Jane ventured to speak first as she feared her mother's response. Elizabeth's departure shortly after breakfast had occasioned quite an outburst from Mrs. Bennet, and Jane had no desire for such a scene to be repeated before their guests.

"Thank you for asking, Mr. Bingley. Lizzy is quite well this morning. She left shortly after breakfast on an errand, but she must have been delayed as she definitely planned to return before your arrival, Mr. Darcy. I know that she will be very glad to see you, too, Mr. Bingley."

Relieved by her tactful reassurance, Darcy said, "It is rather early for a morning visit, particularly after such a short acquaintance. I hope we have not disrupted your routine."

"Oh, no, Mr. Darcy," Mrs. Bennet gushed, "you are always welcome here. Indeed, you are welcome, too, Mr. Bingley."

The gentlemen were spared her waxing eloquent on just how welcome they were at Longbourn by the arrival of Mr. Bennet. He greeted the young men politely and the ladies were relegated to the role of listeners as the gentlemen soon fell into a discussion of their respective estates. Bingley quickly discerned that Mr. Bennet was even more actively involved in the running of his estate than Darcy was. In such like-minded company, Darcy was far more loquacious about his plans for Pemberley than was his wont. It was rare for Darcy to be so animated in company, and Bingley sat back in amazement. Not only did he enjoy witnessing his friend's enthusiasm, but Bingley also found the discussion between Darcy and Mr. Bennet to be quite educational.

Tea had arrived somewhere during this discourse and Darcy was just finishing his second cup when the sounds of Elizabeth's return could be heard from the hallway.

"Oh, Miss Lizzy," the housekeeper could be heard scolding her, "you are soaked through. We must put you to bed."

Listening intently Darcy was barely able to discern her answer.

"No, I am damp to be sure, Mrs. Hill, but I am quite well. Please send Sarah up to help me change and then I will join our guests."

Darcy had to restrain himself from running into the hall, so eager was he for Elizabeth's company, and he would have found it well nigh impossible to tear himself from this place without seeing her. Fortunately no one else seemed desirous of his departure so Darcy's only trial was to school himself to at least appear to be calm and rational.

Although she was usually far too preoccupied with herself to pay very much attention to anyone else, Mrs. Bennet had been watching Mr. Darcy closely and was more than satisfied when she observed that his attention was firmly fixed on the sounds of Elizabeth's return.

Perhaps Elizabeth's errand this morning was not a complete waste of time Mrs. Bennet admitted to herself. It seemed that the waiting had only increased Mr. Darcy's eagerness for her company. Although her daughter had not intended it so, Mrs. Bennet decided that it had proven to be good tactics.

"Kitty," she said aloud, "I just heard Lizzy in the hallway. She must be drenched after walking home in the rain. Would you please take Lizzy a cup of tea and help her to change? We do not want to chance her catching a cold."

Mrs. Bennet was only slightly concerned for Elizabeth's health, but she was very concerned for Mr. Darcy's patience. A man of his consequence was surely accustomed to having his own way. The short wait had seemed to pique his interest in her daughter, but she did not want to see him sorely tried.

Darcy had lapsed into silence upon hearing Elizabeth's voice, and Bingley cheerfully steered the conversation to questions about Hertfordshire in general and the local society in particular. Mr. Bennet left most of the answers to his wife and daughters, as he was quite content to observe the young man who was eagerly awaiting the arrival of his favorite daughter.

When Elizabeth entered the room, only a lifetime of practiced restraint kept Darcy from rushing to her side. He managed a proper bow and a murmured greeting, but when Mrs. Bennet directed Lizzy to sit by the fire Darcy moved to sit beside her as a matter of course.

Although their reasons for doing so could not have been more dissimilar, Mr. and Mrs. Bennet were both eager to aid Darcy in his suit. While Mrs. Bennet valued Darcy's position and fortune, Mr. Bennet respected the man's character and appreciated his sincere admiration of Lizzy. He believed that Mr. Darcy might truly deserve her. In an attempt to draw the general company's attention from the young couple, Mr. Bennet questioned Bingley about his plans for Netherfield. Following his example, Mrs. Bennet began a quiet conversation with her younger daughters leaving Jane free to attend her father's discussion with Mr. Bingley. These well meaning machinations resulted in Darcy having the opportunity for a relatively private conversation with Elizabeth.

"And how is Mrs. Clay this morning?" he quietly asked. Once his momentary panic over Elizabeth's absence had subsided, Darcy had easily deduced what would have taken her out in the chancy weather.

Anxious not to reawaken her mother's ire over the matter, Elizabeth's answer was equally quiet. "She is much better, Mr. Darcy. Thank you for asking. Although Mrs. Clay will need to be careful of her injured hand until it has completely healed, her color and strength have returned."

Although her answer was calmly given, Elizabeth felt a slight blush rise in her cheeks. She had observed Lydia watching them and whispering to Kitty. No doubt the previous evening's family discussion had roused their curiosity. While Elizabeth could not entirely blame the younger girls, their scrutiny made her uncomfortable. In an effort to mask her embarrassment, she reached for the workbasket beside her seat. It was not her own, but Jane was too tenderhearted to begrudge Elizabeth her handiwork even if she did make a hopeless tangle of it in her distraction.

Elizabeth managed a sensible inquiry about the gentlemen's ride from Netherfield as she fixed her eyes on the sampler in her hands. Darcy assured her their ride had been very pleasant and then he leaned in closer on the pretext of admiring her embroidery.

"That is very pretty, Miss Elizabeth," he said. "My sister would admire it, I am sure."

Darcy then whispered quietly in her ear, "As I admire you, Miss Elizabeth."

Elizabeth's blush deepened as she murmured her thanks. She could not resist a surreptitious glance toward her sisters--a glance that confirmed she and Darcy were indeed being watched. Although he had not noticed Elizabeth's younger sisters' observation of them, Darcy easily perceived her preoccupation.

He quietly said, "I do hope I have not offended you in some way, Miss Elizabeth."

"Oh, no, sir," she hastened to reassure him. "I am very pleased to see you this morning. Please forgive me if I have neglected you, Mr. Darcy. I am somewhat distracted today, but I would not wish you to think that anything is amiss. It is just a trifling family matter--nothing to do with you, sir. I enjoy your company--very much."

"Thank you, Miss Elizabeth," Darcy replied. "I am most glad to hear it, but please know that if something troubles you, it is a matter of concern to me as well."

Elizabeth gave him a radiant smile in response and in her determination not to worry Darcy, she soon forgot her sisters' prying eyes. Seeing that the rain appeared likely to continue for some time, Mrs. Bennet invited the gentlemen to remain through the morning and join them for luncheon.

Bingley regretfully declined as he had an appointment with the Netherfield steward. Although Darcy appeared resigned to accompanying his friend, it was clear that he wished to remain at Longbourn, and Mr. Bennet obligingly spared him the awkwardness of saying so with a second invitation.

"Since your host has another commitment, perhaps you would like to stay and see my library, Mr. Darcy. I have some agricultural texts that might interest you."

Darcy allowed that nothing would please him more, and Mr. Bennet excused himself to order the carriage made ready to carry Bingley back to Netherfield. Darcy's contentment was so great that even Bingley's smirk as they parted a short time later could not discomfit him. Darcy enjoyed the time he spent with Mr. Bennet in the library although he found himself somewhat distracted by the mere knowledge that Elizabeth was somewhere nearby.


****


Bingley had not been long returned to Netherfield before he wished he were back at Longbourn. Caroline had scarcely allowed him to draw breath before she began her inquisition. It did not please her to learn that the gentlemen had called at Longbourn that morning, and she was furious to learn that Darcy was still there.

"What does he mean hobnobbing with those hobbledehoys?" she ranted to Louisa when their brother had withdrawn to his study.

Realizing that anything practical or truthful she might say would merely increase her sister's ire, Louisa wisely murmured something indistinguishable under her breath. Taking that for agreement, Caroline nodded and continued her pacing.

"I will not have it. I will not," she suddenly declared, stamping her foot impatiently.

Caroline then reverted to pacing about the room muttering under her breath. Although Louisa could not make out most of Caroline's ravings, she heard enough to grow alarmed that Caroline might go too far and thereby injure their brother's friendship with Darcy. That would not do. Louisa had no desire to jeopardize their annual invitation to visit Pemberley, or the cachet that accompanied being associated with Fitzwilliam Darcy, however remotely.

"Caroline, you must regain control of yourself," she admonished. "Mr. Darcy has demonstrated a clear preference for the Bennets' company. Any overt move against them on your part will infuriate him and rightly so."

Louisa had rarely stood up to Caroline, but she felt her courage growing with each word. Caroline was so surprised that she was momentarily speechless and her sister took advantage of that rarity to press her case.

"While you have long harbored aspirations regarding Mr. Darcy," Louisa continued, "he has never encouraged you. In fact, he has been most determined in his refusal to be drawn in by your attempts to curry his favor. Caroline, you must abandon whatever schemes you may be hatching. The man is simply not interested in you."

Louisa made the substantial error of initially interpreting Caroline's silence as a pause to consider her sound advice. In truth Caroline was enraged beyond the power of speech. Louisa realized her sister was beyond reason when Caroline stormed from the room, and slammed the door so hard that the windows shook.


****


Darcy had enjoyed discussing agricultural methods with Mr. Bennet, but he was most eager for the opportunity to converse with Elizabeth privately. In hopes of achieving that end he commented on what a fine afternoon it promised to be as the entire party was lingering round the table after luncheon.

"--I am delighted that the rain has finally ceased as I have yet to see much of the area. Mr. and Mrs. Bennet, would you perhaps permit your daughters to walk out with me and point out some of the fine prospects here about?

"I am willing if it pleases the girls, Mr. Darcy," was Mr. Bennet's answer. He gave Lydia a look, which said she must remain behind and she silently began to pout. Mr. Bennet was, however, grateful for her silence.

Mary expressed a wish to also remain behind and practice on the pianoforte, so it was quickly settled that Jane, Elizabeth and Kitty would walk to Oakham Mount with Mr. Darcy. The girls gathered their bonnets and coats and the four of them set off. Darcy immediately offered Elizabeth his arm and Jane and Kitty naturally followed behind them.

Aware of her duty to safeguard Elizabeth's reputation, Jane made sure to keep Darcy and Elizabeth in sight, even as she deliberately slowed her pace to allow them the chance for a more private conversation. Soon she and Kitty were well behind them affording Darcy the opportunity he so desired. Although he was quite pleased by the return of Elizabeth's liveliness, Darcy was still somewhat concerned regarding her earlier lack of spirits.

"Miss Elizabeth," he said, "I fear it is time I begin to expose my faults to you. I must confess that I can be prone to worry and I often assume the worst. I was most anxious when you did not seem quite like yourself this morning."

"Please accept my apologies, sir," Elizabeth said as the color rose in her cheeks. "I am very sorry to have caused you any apprehension. I am very well, and I was truly happy to see you this morning, Mr. Darcy. I was only a little embarrassed earlier, but please do not think you did anything wrong, sir. It was not you, but rather something regarding my sisters."

Elizabeth knew that she was talking in circles, and she paused for a moment, searching for the right words to explain her meaning without embarrassing herself further. However, Elizabeth found it difficult to concentrate. She was quite distracted by the intensity of Darcy's gaze as he waited for her to continue. Although she was loath to expose herself, Elizabeth was far more unwilling to offend or injure him.

Feeling that she must explain or risk just that, Elizabeth took a deep breath to steady herself before she said, "I was somewhat distracted earlier. I feared that my younger sisters would be paying particular attention to us this morning because of--a family discussion that took place after you left last night. Feeling that we were being examined caused me to feel--uncomfortable. I am sorry if I made you uncomfortable as well, Mr. Darcy."

"Please do not trouble yourself over that. Your reassurance has made me easy again. However, I was most sincere when I said that anything of concern to you is also of importance to me," Darcy persisted. "Might I ask if your family discussion-- Was it in some way about me?"

Elizabeth's blush deepened. It was not in her nature to lie, but her voice was barely audible as she answered, "Yes, it was--in an indirect way, Mr. Darcy. I am afraid that my youngest sister Lydia has some very silly ideas about men and what she considers to be 'romantic.' My father was trying to impress upon her the importance of judging a man by his character first and foremost. He did refer to you as an example of an honorable man."

"That was very kind of your father." Darcy's voice softened and he looked at her searchingly as he continued, "I hope you were able to assure your sister that a man's being honorable does not preclude his also being 'romantic,' Miss Elizabeth."

Although she could not face him just then, Elizabeth was determined to be honest with him. With her eyes firmly fixed upon Darcy's boots, she answered, "Yes, Mr. Darcy, I spoke quite frankly to my sisters regarding that very subject which is why I felt that we were under scrutiny this morning."

"Oh," Darcy said, as his heart began to race. A hasty glance back over his shoulder confirmed that Elizabeth's sisters were still well behind them. Darcy reached out and gently lifted her chin. "Will you not look at me, Elizabeth?"

She raised her eyes hesitantly, captivated by the soft caress of his fingers as they moved from her chin to her cheek.

"Elizabeth Bennet, I have known you less than a week and yet it seems I have known you my whole life. I am surprised by how quickly I have grown to love you, but I do. You are unlike any other woman I have ever known. Will you marry me? Will you be my wife?"

Tears came to Elizabeth's eyes as she reached up to cover his hand with her own, "Yes, sir. I would be happy to be your wife."

Darcy found it hard to believe that she had agreed, "Then, you do consent?"

"Yes, Mr. Darcy."

Knowing that they had best resume their walk if he were to maintain any semblance of self-control, Darcy tucked her hand back into the crook of his arm and they walked on.

"Now, my dear Elizabeth, I do ask that you begin to address me less formally when we are alone. I cannot have my wife whispering 'Mr. Darcy' into my ear in private moments."

"Certainly, sir, but I do not know your Christian name."

"Fitzwilliam. It was my mother's family name."

"Very well--Fitzwilliam," she said enjoying the feeling of intimacy that came with addressing him so familiarly.

Darcy felt a burning desire to kiss her, but this was neither the time nor the place. For the moment, he must be content with the knowledge that Elizabeth would be his wife, but Darcy found himself hoping that Mr. Bennet would agree to a very short engagement.

Sensing that Darcy was struggling for composure, Elizabeth changed the subject. "Please tell me about your sister, Mr.--I am sorry--Fitzwilliam."

Darcy gazed down at her lovingly as he asked, "What would you like to know about Georgiana?"

"I would like to know all about her since she will soon be my sister, too," she answered shyly.

Darcy smiled at that happy thought and began to tell her about Georgiana. By the time they reached Oakham Mount their entire party was reunited. When Kitty learned that she and Georgiana were the same age, she expressed an eagerness to learn more about Mr. Darcy's sister, too. Realizing that Elizabeth's connections would soon be his as well, Darcy gave Elizabeth a wry smile and then obligingly began answering Kitty's questions about his sister. They led the way back with Elizabeth and Jane following closely behind them The two sisters linked arms and walked in a companionable silence. Elizabeth did not dare say anything of her new understanding with Mr. Darcy until her father had given his consent, but she could think of little else. For her part, Jane's suspicions were raised but she knew that Lizzy would confide in her at the earliest opportunity and so was content to speculate privately on what might have transpired between Mr. Darcy and her sister.

When they reached Longbourn the ladies went in to join their mother and Darcy headed for Mr. Bennet's library as if eager to resume their earlier conversation. Mr. Bennet was not wholly surprised to see him again so soon.

"Well, I see you have come back, Mr. Darcy. Did you have a nice walk with the girls?"

"Yes, sir. However, I must confess I do not remember what we saw, although your daughters dutifully pointed out many sights of interest along the way."

"I see, so am I to understand that you were distracted by my Lizzy again, Mr. Darcy?" Mr. Bennet asked with a smile.

"I must confess that I was, sir," Darcy answered with a nervous smile of his own. "Your daughter is quite unlike any other woman of my acquaintance, and I admire her greatly. In fact, I cannot imagine my life without her. I realize this may seem sudden, Mr. Bennet, but while we were walking--I asked Miss Elizabeth to be my wife."

"And what did Lizzy have to say, Mr. Darcy?"

"She has accepted me, sir. I am here to ask for your permission and your blessing."

"So Lizzy accepted you, did she?" Mr. Bennet asked.

"Yes, sir."

"Well, Mr. Darcy," the older man began, "allow me to tell you something about my daughter. When Lizzy has made up her mind, do not oppose her. Your marriage will be much happier for it."

"Then we have your consent, sir?"

"Yes," Mr. Bennet said to Darcy's considerable relief. "You have my consent and my blessing. It would appear that the two of you are well suited to one another. Might I dare to hope for a long engagement?"

"We did not presume to discuss a date before gaining your permission, sir," Darcy replied. "However, if Miss Elizabeth is agreeable I would hope for a very short engagement. It is not my desire to part you from your daughter, but I cannot remain in Hertfordshire indefinitely. Nor can I abide the thought of a long separation."

With a self-deprecating smile, Darcy went on to confess, "In truth, I find myself dreading the short trip to London that will be necessary to have the settlements drawn up and procure a special license. Please be assured, Mr. Bennet, that you and your family will be welcome to visit us at any time, either in town or at our estate in Derbyshire."

Mr. Bennet was very pleased by Darcy's reference to his estate as theirs. It reassured him that his dearest daughter would be esteemed and treasured by her husband. In his opinion, too many men of Darcy's sphere viewed their wives as trophies or prized possessions. Although Mr. Bennet considered his daughter to be a treasure beyond price, propriety demanded that he make it plain that Lizzy herself would be the only wealth gained by Mr. Darcy in the marriage.

"Are you aware, sir, that Lizzy has no dowry?"

"She told me as much, herself, Mr. Bennet, but it is truly of no matter to me. In fact, I am most anxious to make her my bride."

"As, yes, the impatience of youth," Mr. Bennet rejoined with a sigh. "I do understand your impatience as I was once a bridegroom myself. I will leave it to you and Lizzy to select your wedding date. The rest will somehow fall into place. It always does, Mr. Darcy. It always does."

"Thank you, sir," Darcy said as he clasped Mr. Bennet's offered hand with a smile.

The two gentlemen were almost to the library door, when Mr. Bennet stopped and said, "Knowing my wife as I do, Mr. Darcy, perhaps it would be best if you and Lizzy discuss the length of your engagement before we announce it to the family."

Darcy did not understand him, but was nonetheless eager to have the matter decided. "Certainly, Mr. Bennet, I would wish to finalize this decision as soon as possible. However, I hope you are not implying that Mrs. Bennet will be unhappy with the news."

Elizabeth's father was somewhat amused by the younger man's anxiety. Evidently Darcy had a propensity to assume the worst. That could be quite diverting, Mr. Bennet thought. No sooner had he made that private observation than a flash of insight followed. Remembering all the grief that had already befallen Darcy, Mr. Bennet realized that this young man tended to expect the worst because that was what he had experienced. Thoughts of teasing Darcy were immediately abandoned and Mr. Bennet hastened to reassure him.

"No, do not worry, sir. I believe my wife is disposed to think very highly of you. She did ask me last night if I thought you were good enough for Elizabeth. However, I am confident she was not discounting your merits at that moment, but rather valuing our daughter's. For a mother to hold her daughter in such high esteem is not a bad thing at all."

Seeing Darcy's nod of understanding, Mr. Bennet continued. "I only suggest the date be set before we inform the rest of the family, so that Mrs. Bennet will not get carried away. My wife loves to entertain, Mr. Darcy, and she has long awaited the pleasure of planning a daughter's wedding. If her fancies are allowed to take flight, Mrs. Bennet will be thinking of what month will be best for flowers, ordering custom-made lace for Lizzy's bonnet--that sort of thing. It may then prove difficult for my wife to accept a shorter engagement gracefully. Should Mrs. Bennet be unhappy, I fear it will dampen Lizzy's happiness as well; however, if Mrs. Bennet knows the length of your engagement at the outset, she will not be disappointed by its duration."

"I understand you," Darcy said with relief. "Do you think Miss Elizabeth's desires are similar to her mother's? I would not want her to forego her own wishes just to please me."

Mr. Bennet smiled as he answered, "I have never considered Lizzy to be like her mother in any notable way, but women are full of surprises. Have a glass of wine, Mr. Darcy. I will find Lizzy and send her in. Then you can ask her what she would wish."

Darcy was grateful for the offered wine. He sipped it as he thought of how anxious he was to marry Elizabeth as soon as possible. Yet, he did not want to make her unhappy. Darcy steeled himself to accept disappointment with grace.

All thoughts of disappointment left him, when Darcy realized that Elizabeth had entered the room. She had, however, briefly glimpsed his anxious expression before Darcy replaced it with a smile. Elizabeth was somewhat relieved when he rose and took her hand, but she could not help thinking that there must be something wrong for him to have looked so unhappy a moment ago.

"Pray, tell me what is the matter, sir? I thought you would be pleased that my father has consented to our engagement. Are you now hesitant?"

"Certainly not, Elizabeth, I have no reservations," Darcy said as he led her to a chair and tenderly kissed her hand.

"I have no reservations about our engagement," he repeated, "none at all, my love. You caught me thinking of what a selfish being I am."

"Selfish? Whatever do you mean?"

"I was thinking of how to persuade you to the shortest engagement possible," Darcy replied, "when I realized that you might have very different wishes. Is that not selfish of me, Elizabeth?"

"I would not be so quick to condemn you for your thoughts," Elizabeth said with a smile, "when they concluded with concern for my wishes."

Darcy smiled in reply and squeezed her hand. "Have you thought about when we should be married, my love?"

"No, I must confess I have been too overcome by general happiness to think of such mundane matters," Elizabeth replied, "but it seems that you have already considered the matter. Please tell me what your thoughts are--Fitzwilliam."

Elizabeth squeezed his hand as she said his name, and Darcy thought his heart would literally leap out of his chest.

"If we are speaking frankly, my love," he said, "I would wish for us to marry very soon. But I do understand that will mean leaving your family so I will not press you. I told you, Elizabeth, I am a selfish being. I cannot bear the thought of being separated from you, but I know that duty demands I leave Netherfield soon."

Darcy looked away as he continued in a tone barely above a whisper, "I must also confess that I am most anxious for you to be my wife, Elizabeth."

When she did not answer immediately, Darcy feared he might have said too much.

"Please forgive me, dearest," he hastened to beg her pardon. "I am sorry if I have offended you."

"You need not apologize," Elizabeth said, "as you have not offended me in any way." She reached out and gently brushed his cheek as she continued, "Do not worry so, Fitzwilliam. I share your desire that we not have to endure a long separation."

Elizabeth's voice dropped to a whisper as she added, "I also share your desire that we become man and wife."

Darcy's relief was evident. "Then you do not think me ungentlemanly?"

"No," she reassured him with a smile, "my opinion is quite the opposite. In truth, I think it is wise that we not have a long engagement."

Seeing that he was waiting for her to continue, Elizabeth shyly turned away as she continued, "I have never understood how one could be tempted to disregard propriety until recently. Yet, when you are near me, when you take my hand or look at me in a certain way, I feel the desire to be closer. I do not want to worry about being proper with you. I must confess, I am not well educated in such things, but--"

Elizabeth's voice dropped to a whisper, "I love you, Fitzwilliam. I am not at all afraid of you. I do, however, begin to fear myself."

Darcy gripped her hand tightly but remained quiet, his head now bowed and his eyes closed. Misinterpreting his silence Elizabeth feared she had affronted him.

"Have I said too much, sir? Have I shocked you by speaking so directly? I had hoped that since we were to be married, I would not have--"

Darcy opened his eyes and looked at Elizabeth with an intensity that left her speechless. "No, dearest," he whispered. "You have not said too much. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for you, my love. Hearing you say that you love me-- I had hoped, but I did not expect--," Darcy kissed her hand as he collected himself.

"I love you, Elizabeth," he continued, "and I, too, desire that we be honest with one another, never having to pretend what we do not feel or ignore our deepest feelings. If I could trust myself more I would ask to kiss you now, but I dare not."

Elizabeth, who was both relieved and disappointed that he had not kissed her, smiled and returned to the original question, "So then, sir, when shall we be wed?"

Darcy began to think through the legalities of the matter. "Let us see, today is Friday. If I send an express to my attorney, he should have the settlements prepared by Wednesday or Thursday. I will procure a special license while I am in town. That is all that is necessary by law, but what of you? What do you require--Lizzy?"

Darcy watched to see what Elizabeth's reaction would be to his addressing her as her family did. He was not disappointed. She was obviously surprised, but her face glowed with pleasure.

"I do like the sound of that," she whispered. "Those who love me best have always called me 'Lizzy.'"

"Then I shall call you 'Lizzy' often to remind you of my love for you. Now speak to me truthfully. I do not want you to forego your own wishes just for me, dearest. If you require a long engagement, tell me now and I will endeavor to retain my sanity."

Elizabeth actually laughed as she replied, "You are fortunate then in your choice, sir, for I have always considered the bridegroom to be my only real concern in planning a wedding. Little else matters to me, but we must allow my mother to fuss a bit. What if we are married a fortnight from tomorrow? Would that suit you, Fitzwilliam?"

Darcy was immensely relieved. "In truth I would prefer a seven night," he teased her, "but I shall persevere for another week."

They sat discussing their future contentedly. Darcy was eager for Elizabeth to know all about her new family and the homes they would share in London and Derbyshire. Neither even noticed when Mr. Bennet entered the room. He stood in the doorway for a moment enjoying the sight of his daughter's happiness.

Finally he announced his presence by asking, "So have you decided when you will marry?"

Darcy rose and enthusiastically shook Mr. Bennet's hand. "Yes, sir. Elizabeth and I have decided that a fortnight from Saturday will be our wedding day."

"Goodness," Mr. Bennet exclaimed. "We had best inform your mother, Lizzy, so that she will not miss a moment of your engagement. No doubt she will enjoy it thoroughly."

All the family seemed genuinely happy for them when Mr. Bennet announced Elizabeth and Darcy's engagement. Mrs. Bennet grabbed her husband's hand, her eyes brimming with tears. "Oh, Mr. Bennet, what excellent news."

She then turned to Elizabeth and said, "Oh, my dear Lizzy. I am so happy for you, my dearest girl." She embraced her daughter tightly and then Mrs. Bennet's tears began to flow in earnest.

"My, my, how foolish I must seem to you gentlemen. Forgive me, Mr. Darcy, Mr. Bennet. Just to think that my little Lizzy has finally grown up and will soon be a married woman. You are a real lady now, Lizzy, but you were such a funny child." Mrs. Bennet patted Elizabeth's hand affectionately. "Goodness me, where are my manners? We need not stand about. Hug your sister, girls, and then let us sit down comfortably. I hope you will stay for dinner, Mr. Darcy."

"Thank you, Mrs. Bennet. I must confess it would be difficult to tear myself away, especially at this moment. I am most anxious to hear about my intended's childhood." Remembering young Johnny's recounting of Elizabeth's exploits, Darcy was eager to learn more.

"You said she was a funny child," he prompted his future mother. "How so, Mrs. Bennet?"

"Well, Mr. Darcy, Lizzy has always been unique. I do not think I understood her when she was little, but Mr. Bennet always did. Lizzy worried and vexed me, as she was so active--not at all like Jane. Lizzy was into everything and always asking questions. I am sure Lizzy's stockings required twice as much mending as all the other girls' together."

"Mama, I am certain Mr. Darcy is not interested--"

"On the contrary, my dear, I am quite interested." Darcy reached over and took her hand. "We may have a little Lizzy of our own one day. I want to know what terrors the future may hold."

Everyone laughed. It was so unexpected to see the dignified Darcy openly teasing Elizabeth. It made them all feel comfortable with him as if he were already a part of the family.

Darcy was definitely a persistent man. He soon had the whole family engaged in telling stories of Elizabeth's childhood exploits. She had obviously been imaginative, active and fiercely independent from a very young age.

It was some time before Mrs. Bennet turned the conversation to more practical matters. "Now, my dear children, have you thought about when the ceremony will be?"

Remembering Mr. Bennet's words regarding his wife's expectations, Darcy felt it best that he deliver this news.

"Yes, Mrs. Bennet," he answered, "we would like to marry a fortnight from Saturday."

"But, Mr. Darcy, that is so soon and then you will take our girl away."

"I am sorry to part your family, Mrs. Bennet, but I hope you will come to visit us both in town and at Pemberley. My responsibilities will not allow me to linger in Hertfordshire much longer, and I do not think I could bear to leave your daughter behind. I hope you will forgive me."

This declaration touched Mrs. Bennet and she smiled as she said, "I understand you, sir. However, this leaves us no time. We must sit down this afternoon and decide what must be done."

Darcy explained his plan to send an express to his solicitor right away so that the settlements would be ready when he went to town next week. Mrs. Bennet eyes shone at the thought of the marriage settlements. Surely, Elizabeth would have considerable funds under her control as Darcy's wife. Mrs. Bennet was also very pleased by the notion of her daughter being married by a special license as no other family of their acquaintance could claim that distinction.

Mr. Bennet offered to help by calling on the rector directly to request his services, and Elizabeth assured her mother that she needed little else to be happy.

"--It will be a small private ceremony, Mama. We only plan to invite our families and a few close friends. Mr. Darcy and I can write our letters this evening or tomorrow morning. If you will plan the wedding breakfast, then it is all settled."

"But what of your wedding clothes, Lizzy?" her mother asked. "There is no time."

Elizabeth smiled impudently, "Well, Mama, since we are having a very short engagement to accommodate Mr. Darcy, I think it would be most ungentlemanly of him to complain of my wardrobe."

Darcy smiled back affectionately, "You are quite right, my dear. In truth, Mrs. Bennet, I think your daughter is the most beautiful woman I have ever beheld. I must confess that when we are together I scarcely notice what she is wearing. I am far too captivated by the lady herself."

All the Bennet ladies beamed at him and Lydia could no longer restrain herself. With a large sigh, she exclaimed, "Oh, Lizzy, you are right. He is romantic."

Elizabeth blushed and Darcy laughed out loud. Seeing that Elizabeth was genuinely embarrassed, Darcy quickly turned the subject back to the topic of clothing. "I can assure you, Mrs. Bennet, that my younger sister Georgiana will be only too happy to help your daughter shop for a new wardrobe when we return to London after the ceremony. Please do not give it a thought. Georgiana will make certain she is outfitted for the Derbyshire winter as well as the London season."

The rest of the afternoon passed in a flurry of happy activity. Mr. Bennet called at the parsonage to make the necessary arrangements and Darcy dispatched the express to his solicitor and another to his sister, as well. Darcy also sent a message to his hosts at Netherfield informing them that he would not return until after dinner.

This caused Caroline Bingley considerable consternation. What could Darcy mean spending all day and half the night, too, with the Bennets? She was all but snarling by the time Darcy returned to Netherfield that evening.

"So, Mr. Darcy, I am glad to see that the Bennets finally released you. What pretext did they use to prevent your leaving?"

"There was no pretext at all, Miss Bingley. I was happy to spend as much time as I could at Longbourn. It is, after all, only natural for a man to want to spend time with his future wife."

Bingley leapt up to shake his hand. "Darcy, you really did it. Oh, she is a lovely girl. I am very happy for you. I wish you great joy, my friend. So when is the wedding to be?"

"A fortnight from Saturday. You are all invited, of course. It will be a small private ceremony with only our families and a few friends in attendance."

"So then your uncle the earl will be braving the wilds of Hertfordshire to attend?" Caroline snapped venomously, unable to restrain herself.

"I hope so," Darcy replied mildly, choosing to ignore her tone. "I will write to all my family before retiring for the night. I do not expect my Aunt Catherine to make the journey, but I sincerely hope Lord and Lady Carlisle will be able to join us. I am eager for them to meet Miss Bennet as I am certain they will be very pleased with her."

"I doubt that," Caroline said under her breath, but to her regret Darcy heard her.

"That is right," he replied coldly. "You move in very different circles, so you have never met my uncle and his wife, Miss Bingley. It is, therefore, perfectly understandable that you would have no way to correctly anticipate their reaction. My uncle has long encouraged me to marry for affection so I am confident of his support. I am equally confident that he will admire Miss Bennet, for his wife is the only other woman of my acquaintance who equals her in intelligence and liveliness. Yes, I am certain my uncle and aunt will like her very much."

Mrs. Hurst whispered her congratulations to Mr. Darcy and hurried the enraged Caroline from the room. Hurst actually rose from his usual place on the sofa to shake Darcy's hand.

"Never took you for such a romantic fool, Darcy, but I wish you well."

Rather than being affronted by this remark, Darcy laughed aloud. "Hurst, I must admit I have surprised myself this time. By the by, while she did not call me a fool, the youngest Bennet sister Miss Lydia also credited me with being romantic."

The three gentlemen settled in for a very pleasant chat before retiring. Darcy was eager to speak of his beloved, and Bingley and Hurst were only too glad to oblige him by listening.



Copyright 2007 Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next