Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines
  • Previous
  • Next
Chapter Two - The Misfortune of Knowing Anything


A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can.
Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey, Chapter 14


Mr. Bennet was inclined to think well of Mr. Darcy. After all, Darcy seemed an intelligent fellow, and the fact that the man admired Elizabeth recommended his judgment and taste. However, upon reflection Mr. Bennet realized that his impulsive invitation had encouraged the acquaintance without any assurance that this would be agreeable to Elizabeth. Eager to know her opinion, he invited his favorite daughter to join him in a walk after breakfast.

"--I want to see how the repairs to the Sedgewicks' cottage are coming along, Lizzy."

Elizabeth was quite pleased at the prospect of a private walk with her papa. She hurriedly changed into her stout boots and the two of them were soon walking out across the estate.

The Sedgewicks were tenants of Mr. Bennet and their cottage had been hit by lightning. Quick action by the family and their neighbors had saved the house from total destruction, but the damage was still considerable. Knowing that winter would soon be upon them, Mr. Bennet had made the repairs a priority and was paying additional laborers to get the job done quickly. When Mr. Bennet and Elizabeth were well away from the family's listening ears, he broached the subject that was uppermost on his mind.

"Mr. Darcy seems quite taken with you, Lizzy. I hope I have not made you uneasy by inviting him to dinner this evening."

"No, certainly not, Papa," she reassured him. "I have enjoyed Mr. Darcy's company thus far and I would like to know him better."

Mr. Bennet thought that Elizabeth's blush spoke far more eloquently of her opinion of Mr. Darcy than did her words. He smiled but refrained from the impulse to tease her. After all he himself had often complained that Elizabeth's younger sisters were far too silly over young men. It certainly would not do for him to make a joke of such things--especially with his most sensible daughter.

"I am glad to hear that you are not adverse to furthering the acquaintance, my dear," he said. "Mr. Darcy seems a nice young man and I have hopes that he will prove an interesting conversationalist. Your mother mentioned that you sat out an entire set with Mr. Darcy at the assembly. Tell me, Lizzy, what did the two of you talk about?"

"It began as your very ordinary, excessively polite conversation," Elizabeth replied. "In other words, it was nothing of consequence or inordinate interest. In fact, I think Mr. Darcy is rather shy as he had very little to say initially, but then I asked him what he had read most recently. From that point on our conversation was much like the ones we share. We compared our views of various poets and authors, and we even talked a bit about his estate. Mr. Darcy became most animated when I asked about his irrigation methods. I believe he is like you in that regard, Papa."

"Ah, another farmer masquerading as a gentleman, is he?" Mr. Bennet asked with a chuckle. "I knew I liked the man."

They ceased speaking of Mr. Darcy when they neared the Sedgewicks', but Mr. Bennet was satisfied that he had not imposed upon his daughter in the least by inviting the man to dinner. He returned home later that morning, equally pleased by the progress made in repairing the cottage. Unfortunately, his solitary return to the house did not go unnoticed. Mr. Bennet had almost reached the sanctuary of his library when his wife caught him.

"Good heavens, Mr. Bennet," she exclaimed, "do not tell me that you have left Lizzy out loitering about with the workmen. It is highly improper and what if Mr. Darcy--"

Mr. Bennet cut her off, knowing that it was wisest to stop his excitable wife's hysteria at its inception. "Lizzy is kindly paying a call on Mrs. Robert Allen although it is not her duty."

His tack was well chosen, as Mrs. Bennet knew exactly whose responsibility it was to make such calls. Robert Allen was one of their tenants and his wife had been quite ill recently. Tenants and sickness were of little interest to Mrs. Bennet, but she could not openly criticize Elizabeth for performing the duty that she herself neglected. Murmuring something unintelligible, Mrs. Bennet hastened away to torment the housekeeper with instructions she had already repeated several times.

Mrs. Bennet had never understood Elizabeth's insistence on making such a fuss over their tenants, but she found herself thinking that at last there might be some benefit from her daughter's eccentricity--provided, of course, that Mr. Darcy shared her husband's view of a landlord's responsibilities. Heavily influenced by her own ideas of true gentility, Mrs. Bennet decided it was equally likely that such a fine gentleman would be horrified by the prospect of his wife roaming the estate-- No, they had best hide Elizabeth's oddities until they knew more of Mr. Darcy. Mrs. Bennet's musings had the fortunate effect of sparing the housekeeper; however, they were of little consequence otherwise as Mr. Darcy would soon learn of Elizabeth's solicitude for their tenants quite by happenstance.


****


Mr. Jones, the local apothecary, had pronounced Mrs. Allen to be out of danger several days ago. However, she was recovering from a bad bout of pleurisy and Elizabeth wanted to make certain that she continued to improve. To Elizabeth's relief she found Mrs. Allen contentedly sewing by the fire. She received Elizabeth kindly, insisting she stay for a cup of tea.

"Tea would be lovely, Mrs. Allen," Elizabeth agreed, "but I was hoping there might be some manner in which I could assist you today."

"No, Miss Lizzy," her hostess replied, "you have done too much already. You may think I was too sick to recall all the time you spent here while I was abed, but I remember it all. Now you sit back and just keep me company for a spell. I have yet to venture out, so tell me all the happenings at Longbourn."

Elizabeth spent a happy half hour in Mrs. Allen's company and then left with every intention of walking straight home. However, the beautiful autumn morning was simply too fine to be wasted away indoors. Elizabeth was extremely fond of a long walk and it was perfect weather for roaming through the countryside--crisp but not cold with a clear cloudless sky overhead. Knowing the house was surely in chaos by now preparing for the evening's dinner guest, Elizabeth happily set out in the opposite direction. She enjoyed the physical activity of striding across the dormant fields as well as the privacy it afforded her to think on Mr. Darcy.

It must have been a very absorbing train of thought for in her preoccupation, Elizabeth neglected her skirts in crossing a stile and found herself caught. She carefully adjusted each layer of her clothing and discovered to her dismay that it was her dress , which was ensnared. Had it been the old coat she was wearing or her petticoat, Elizabeth would have wrenched herself free and continued on her way. The dress, however, was nearly new and Mama was certain to notice if she ripped it. Elizabeth did not fear the scolding that would cause, but she desperately wanted to avoid any excuse for Mama to further restrict her activities. Her mother's idea of what constituted a proper lady's life was very limited and, in Elizabeth's opinion, very dull as well.

Elizabeth ceased striving to free herself when she heard a horse approaching. Anxious to conceal her unladylike predicament, she managed to sit upon the stile and hoped the rider would pass her by without drawing near enough to necessitate a formal greeting. Alas, the rider not only saw Elizabeth, he turned to meet her. Elizabeth felt her color rise when she saw the gentleman's face.

"Good morning, Miss Elizabeth," Darcy said with pleasure as he dismounted and gave a very proper bow.

Realizing she must confess all or appear quite rude indeed, Elizabeth replied, "Good morning, Mr. Darcy. Please forgive me for not rising to give you a proper curtsey in return." Her voice dropped as she continued, "I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a predicament."

Forgetting himself, Darcy closed the gap to her side, "Good heavens, are you injured, Miss Elizabeth? Please tell me how I might assist you."

Elizabeth smiled as she replied, "Pray do not be anxious, sir. I am very well this morning. However, I was not paying attention to my skirts when I clambered over the stile and now I am well and truly caught."

Darcy chuckled in his relief. "Well and truly caught--I do believe that I can sympathize with your situation, Miss Elizabeth."

His meaning was unmistakable and Elizabeth felt herself flush anew as her heart began to race. She quickly dropped her eyes for Elizabeth did not trust herself to return Darcy's gaze without yielding to a sudden yearning to caress his cheek.

The gentleman was not at all disappointed by her reaction. On the contrary, it pleased him to know that he could affect her so. Darcy reached for Elizabeth's hand and kissed it, as propriety would allow. However, he permitted his lips to linger for a moment and then to brush her hand a second time. Darcy felt rather than heard her gasp, and with that encouragement he dared to retain Elizabeth's hand in his own until she raised her eyes to meet hiss.

When she began a stammered apology, Darcy immediately interrupted her, "No apologies are necessary, Miss Elizabeth. I find you uniformly charming and these little surprises only enhance your other considerable charms."

Darcy was able to free her without tearing the dress, but it necessitated his reaching around Elizabeth in a manner that both found very disconcerting.

"Thank you, Mr. Darcy," she managed as helped her down from the stile. Darcy was gazing at her mouth in a very particular way, and Elizabeth instinctively knew that an immediate change of subject was required.

"My frock and I appreciate your gallant rescue from my most unladylike difficulty," she said with a playful curtsey. Then looking up at him through her lashes Elizabeth continued, "I would not impose upon you further were it not of the direst necessity, but I fear I must prevail upon your kindness a little more, Mr. Darcy."

The gentleman was extremely grateful for her lighthearted request as he had been seriously thinking of kissing Elizabeth here and now, and that would simply not do.

"Certainly, Miss Elizabeth," he answered with a courtly bow, "I would be willing to offer any assistance in my power."

Elizabeth colored again--and very prettily Darcy thought--as she smiled up at him impishly.

"I am afraid, sir, that my unladylike exploits will one day be the death of my mother or so she often tells me. May I prevail upon you to spare her life by not mentioning the details of our meeting this morning?"

Darcy chuckled, "Certainly, Miss Elizabeth, it will be our secret--provided you allow me the honor of seeing you home."

"Ah, I see that you are not above blackmail, sir," Elizabeth teased him.

"Not if it secures me the pleasure of your company," Darcy replied.

As Darcy was accompanied by his horse, they abandoned the cross-country footpath Elizabeth had been traveling and followed the lane. Neither was in a particular hurry to part company, so they ambled slowly toward Longbourn, talking of everything and of nothing with Darcy's mount trailing behind them. Darcy thought it remarkable that he felt so easy in Elizabeth's presence. Their conversation flowed naturally, and when he lapsed back into his characteristic silence, Elizabeth did not seem to be troubled in the least. It felt to Darcy as if she understood him.

They were still some distance from the house but well within the boundaries of Mr. Bennet's property when a small boy's voice was heard shouting, "Miss Lizzy, Miss Lizzy!"

Without a thought Elizabeth lifted her skirts and sped across the field toward the source of the sound. Darcy followed her somewhat at a loss to understand what was happening until he espied movement in a tall tree up ahead. A lad of no more than eight or nine was climbing down as fast as he could while Elizabeth raced to meet him.

Elizabeth was anxious for she had recognized the voice immediately as belonging to Johnny Clay, and his family were the Allens' nearest neighbors. Darcy arrived in time to hear her ask the breathless boy, "Is it Mrs. Allen, Johnny?"

He shook his head and answered, "No, Miss Lizzy--it's Ma."

"Your mother? Is she ill or injured? Shall I send for Mr. Jones?"

"No, ma'am. She wants you, Miss Lizzy," Johnny insisted. "Ma slipped with the knife and cut herself something awful. Mrs. Allen is with her, but they cannot stop the bleeding. I went to Longbourn and they told me you were gone--"

The boy stopped suddenly and hung his head in embarrassment. After a moment he haltingly continued, "Well--you see, Miss Lizzy-- Miss Jane came out and--but I just couldn't tell Miss Jane what was the matter. She would be bound and determined to help, but--"

Elizabeth smiled, knowing full well why Johnny did not want Jane anywhere near his mother just now. Everyone at Longbourn knew that Miss Jane swooned at the merest sight of blood.

Elizabeth hugged him and said, "You did the right thing, Johnny, to spare Miss Jane's feelings that way. Thank you for being so considerate of her and how clever you were to climb the tree to watch for me. I will go right now and we will set your mother to rights in no time."

The boy seemed to grow a foot taller in response to her praise and Darcy noted the devotion in his eyes as he smiled at "Miss Lizzy." She then turned to Darcy. He glimpsed the worry behind her smile, but Elizabeth's manner was calm and composed as if nothing were the least bit wrong.

"Please forgive me, Mr. Darcy. I seem to have completely forgotten my manners. This is Johnny Clay. Johnny, this is Mr. Darcy. Would you be so kind, sir, as to take Johnny on your horse--he knows right where my medicine basket is--and then perhaps you might give him a ride home."

"Certainly, if that is your wish--"

"Thank you," Elizabeth interrupted him with a radiant smile. "Johnny, you go with Mr. Darcy and I will just take the short way straight through the woods. I will see you gentlemen shortly."

Elizabeth curtseyed and then hastened away without a backward glance. The confident smile which had been for Johnny's benefit disappeared as soon as she turned her back to them. Elizabeth's mind was racing ahead to Mrs. Clay's injury and what might be required to treat it. When she was certain Darcy could no longer see her, Elizabeth picked up her skirts again and ran in earnest. For his part, Darcy stood there staring after her until he felt a slight tug at his side.

"I think we had best go on like Miss Lizzy said, sir," Johnny urged him.

Understanding a boy's concern for his mother, Darcy managed a small smile, "Johnny, is it?"

The boy nodded and Darcy continued, "I am sure Miss Lizzy will take excellent care of your mother, but you are right. We had best go for her things as she requested."

Darcy gently placed the lad atop his horse and then swung up in the saddle behind him. Darcy was certainly not lacking in sympathy for the boy and his mother, but his thoughts were filled with Elizabeth Bennet. She was most definitely unlike any other young woman of his acquaintance. When they reached the manor house Darcy rode around back as young Johnny directed and waited while the lad ran in through the kitchen door. He soon returned carrying a large covered basket. Darcy found himself wondering just what all was inside as he helped the lad back onto the horse and then handed the basket up to him. At Johnny's direction they crossed several fields and then followed a meandering footpath. The path was barely wide enough for the horse in some places. That combined with occasional low hanging limbs and uneven ground necessitated a slower pace, and Darcy took advantage of this to draw his young companion into a discussion of Elizabeth.

"Are you certain Miss Lizzy will be able to take care of your mother, Johnny? I would be happy to ride to town for the doctor," Darcy offered.

"Oh, no, sir, Mr. Darcy, sir. Miss Lizzy will have Ma as right as rain in no time. She almost always knows what to do. Besides there ain't no doctor in town. Mr. Jones--the apothecary in Meryton--is real nice, but Longbourn folks would rather have Miss Lizzy for most ailments. And not just because of the money neither," Johnny hastened to add. "Miss Lizzy is special. My gram says Miss Lizzy is part fairy. She is probably just funning when she says that, but Miss Lizzy does have a healing way about her. Everybody says so. You may not have seen it yet being a foreigner and all, but there ain't nobody like Miss Lizzy."

"Oh, no, Johnny," Darcy assured him, "I have noticed that Miss Lizzy is not like most young ladies. Actually, I think it would explain quite a bit if she were part fairy, for I agree that Miss Lizzy is very special."

By the time they reached Johnny's home, Darcy had learned quite a lot about Elizabeth. Her exploits and accomplishments were evidently legendary among the inhabitants of Longbourn. In addition to her "doctoring," Miss Lizzy had taught almost all of the women on the estate to read including Johnny's mother. She was evidently quite active as a child, beginning her heroics at an early age for Johnny insisted that Miss Lizzy had rescued a tenant's toddler from the millpond when she herself was only six. He went on to solemnly assure Darcy that Miss Lizzy could still climb a tree or skip a rock better than any boy alive. She had been hurt countless times honing those skills and Johnny recounted an impressive litany of injuries--her most recent mishap being a broken arm Miss Lizzy suffered when she fell from a tree three years ago.

"--Of course, she only climbed the tree that day to rescue a cat," Johnny explained. "Miss Lizzy don't climb for fun anymore now that she's all growed up."

Darcy managed to keep a straight face as he solemnly inquired, "And what became of the cat?"

"Oh, Miss Lizzy managed to break its fall, and the cat was just fine."

When they arrived at the Clay's cottage, Darcy tethered his horse to a nearby tree and followed the lad inside. He was impressed by the general air of order and cheer within the small dwelling. Everything was neat as a pin and there were colorful curtains at the windows. Remembering what Johnny had said about Elizabeth's reading lessons, Darcy noticed a Bible and several other books on the table by the bed.

Mrs. Clay was lying there with Elizabeth standing at her side. The woman was dreadfully pale and appeared to be somewhat glassy eyed from the shock of her injury. Elizabeth was holding the wounded hand well above Mrs. Clay's head, no doubt to slow the bleeding. It was also obvious from the way Elizabeth gripped it tightly that she was applying considerable pressure to the wound. However, Elizabeth's face and voice betrayed none of her tension and concern.

"Ah, there you are and just in time, too. Johnny, I had Mrs. Allen put the kettle on before she took your brothers and sister to her house. Would you please make your mother a cup of tea and lay out a clean towel for me? Then I need you to go and help Mrs. Allen with the younger children."

The boy nodded and immediately went to the kettle.

Looking back over his shoulder, Johnny asked, "Should I make some for you and Mr. Darcy, too, Miss Lizzy?"

"No, thank you. I do not think either of us care for tea right now, Johnny, but your mother will need some with her medicine."

Once Johnny was busy, Elizabeth quietly spoke to Darcy, "I had not planned to impose on you thusly, sir, but the wound is worse than I expected and I could use your assistance if you are willing."

"Certainly, Miss Elizabeth," Darcy replied. "However, you will need to instruct me as I am not experienced in these matters."

Her relief was palpable. "Thank you, sir. Mrs. Allen would have stayed to help, but I did not want the children to be upset and they are too young to be left alone."

When Johnny had placed the cup of tea next to Miss Lizzy's basket on the table, he obediently headed toward the door. Seeing the boy's anxious glance back at his mother who was lying pale and still on the bed, Elizabeth urged him on.

"It will be fine, Johnny. I promise to do my very best. Now you run along."

Johnny's face brightened considerably as his confidence in Miss Lizzy allowed him to believe her. With a nod and a smile he was gone.

"Mr. Darcy," Elizabeth asked, "would you please watch out the window to be certain Johnny does not turn back?"

Darcy wondered at the request but did as she asked, watching until the boy was completely out of sight. "Johnny is gone. Now, how may I assist you?"

Elizabeth ignored his question for the moment and said to her patient, "He is gone now, Mrs. Clay. Mr. Darcy watched him go, so you may cry out if you need to. Do not worry in the least about us. I assure you that Mr. Darcy is quite trustworthy and there is no one else near enough to hear a thing, so you do what you need to in order to get through this."

Darcy had thought the woman was nearly unconscious, but he realized now that Mrs. Clay had been so silent and still because she was exerting every bit of self-control not to alarm her son. She still did not cry out, but moans began to escape her lips.

"We need to close the wound as quickly as possible," Elizabeth said. "I think this will go fastest, Mr. Darcy, if you will take my place putting pressure on the injury while I see to my supplies."

Darcy nodded as he hurriedly removed his coat and rolled up his sleeves.

"Mrs. Clay," Elizabeth said as if the circumstances were perfectly ordinary, "this is Mr. Darcy. He is a friend of our neighbor at Netherfield. Mr. Darcy, may I present Mrs. Clay."

Darcy could not help himself; he bowed from force of habit, but felt a little less silly when Mrs. Clay offered him a slight nod of her head.

"Now that you two have been properly introduced," Elizabeth continued, "I am going to give your hand to Mr. Darcy. He will continue to put pressure on it while I prepare to close the wound."

Mrs. Clay nodded her understanding, but remained silent as if afraid her self-control would be lost if she tried to speak. Darcy took a piece of clean cloth from the basket and folded it several times as Elizabeth instructed.

"--the cloth I am holding against the wound is soaked through. Let us leave that in place for the moment. I want you to apply the clean cloth over that and hold her hand like so. Put as much pressure on the wound as you can. It should only take me a few minutes to assemble all I need."

Darcy nodded and took the injured hand between his own. He could not help wondering who attended to such needs at Pemberley. Of course, the physician would be summoned from Lambton for serious matters or when it was requested, but what of the more ordinary illnesses and injuries? Did the tenants appeal to Mrs. Reynolds for help or did they tend to one another? It was sobering to realize that he who prided himself on being such an attentive master and landlord really did not know.

Darcy was soon distracted from this introspection by the fascination of watching Elizabeth at work. He decided that she must have planned her course of action carefully while she waited, for everything was done decisively with an economy of motion. After donning a heavy apron that she withdrew from her basket, Elizabeth poured half of the tea into a second cup and then added something to both cups from what appeared to be a gentleman's flask. Seeing Darcy's quizzical glance, Elizabeth flashed a mischievous smile.

"Yes, Mr. Darcy, it is brandy, and no, I did not steal my father's flask. He gave it to me for this purpose. The brandy will ease Mrs. Clay's suffering and help her to relax."

Having explained the brandy's use, Elizabeth proceeded to administer it. As Darcy was holding the injured hand, she had to lean in very close to him in order to gently lift Mrs. Clay's head. Elizabeth seemed not to notice that they were almost touching, but Darcy was grateful that his hands were well occupied at the moment for Elizabeth's nearness tempted him to take her in his arms.

"Here, Mrs. Clay," she urged, "I need you to drink this. It will help."

When the cup was empty, Elizabeth returned to the table and began removing various items from her basket, including a small basin that she placed on a chair by the bed along with the towel and another measure of brandy.

"For cleaning the wound," she explained as she drew a second chair up to face the first.

With Darcy looking on Elizabeth threaded a very fine needle with a length of silk after holding the needle's point in the flame of a candle. Satisfied that she was ready, Elizabeth administered the second dose of brandy and tea. She then sat down in the empty chair beside the bed and placed the towel across her lap.

"Now, Mr. Darcy," she said, "in a minute I will ask you to lower Mrs. Clay's hand over the basin. When you do that I want you to strip the cloth away from her wound as quickly as you can and hold her hand with the palm up where I can see her injury. When I have cleaned the wound, please place her hand in my lap and do what you can to keep it still while I work."

Darcy nodded his understanding. Once Elizabeth indicated she was ready, everything seemed to happen very quickly. The brandy was poured over the wound, and then Darcy did his best to hold the injured hand steady while Elizabeth sewed the two sides of the laceration back together. He could not help but admire her absolute concentration and the quick efficiency with which she closed the injury. When she had cut the thread, Elizabeth lifted the candle to take a closer look at her handiwork. Satisfied that the stitches would hold she began to bandage the injured hand. When the wound was well protected, Elizabeth proceeded to draw a length of yellow ribbon from her apron and tied it around the bandage.

Darcy smiled knowing the ribbon was not actually securing the bandage, but was merely added to cheer the patient. Mrs. Clay appeared to have dozed off and Elizabeth carefully placed her injured hand at her side.

"What now?" Darcy whispered.

"I will just tidy up a bit and then stop by Mrs. Allen's to let her know all is well."

After he had helped Elizabeth set the cottage back to rights, Darcy sat down at the table and watched curiously as she removed various herbs from her basket. Clearly Elizabeth knew exactly which ones she wanted and proceeded to combine her choices in a jar.

Seeing his interest, she explained, "I am making a tea to promote clotting in the event that any of the stitches come loose. It is mostly Shepherd's Purse, but with a little aster and several other herbs to improve the taste."

When she was done Elizabeth placed the jar in the center of the table and methodically repacked her supplies. The soiled apron was tied up into a neat bundle and secured to the side of the basket. Darcy was definitely impressed. He could not help comparing Elizabeth to the young women he knew in London and the ladies of London came up sadly lacking.

"Thank you, Mr. Darcy," Elizabeth said as they stepped outside. Now that the crisis was past, she began to feel awkward and in her anxiety Elizabeth began to babble. "I am very grateful for your assistance today, and I hope you will forgive me for trespassing upon your kindness, Mr. Darcy. Truly, I had not intended to impose upon you thusly, but-- It would have-- It would have been difficult to manage alone. You really need not wait to see me home as I have already taken up too much of your time. Besides, I am quite safe here and I know that your friends at Netherfield are probably expecting you."

"No further thanks are necessary, Miss Elizabeth," Darcy said when she drew breath, "and I certainly do not regard it as an imposition to see you home. It is my privilege. Shall we take the horse along to the Allens' or will we be returning this way?"

Elizabeth smiled up at him as she replied, "It is little matter in terms of distance, but if you would care to see the creek, bring the horse and we will return to the house another way."

"I am most interested in furthering my knowledge of the beauty of Hertfordshire," was Darcy's pointed reply as he untied his horse.

Elizabeth's blush confirmed that she had caught his compliment. However, her answer was couched to be properly neutral. "Surely our local beauties pale beside those of your home county, Mr. Darcy, for I have often heard praise of the wild peaks of Derbyshire. I am sorry if your visit to these parts has been marred by today's unpleasantness."

"Nonsense, I was most happy to be of assistance," Darcy replied. "It would seem that you have considerable experience in tending to such matters, Miss Elizabeth."

Her blush deepened but Elizabeth determinedly held her head up as she answered him, "You are correct, Mr. Darcy. I have been treating our tenants for a number of years now, much to my mother's chagrin. She does not think it becoming behavior for a lady, but Mama just does not understand. It is a part of my heritage. Longbourn is a small estate of little consequence to anyone except those of us who live here, but we have a longstanding tradition of caring for one another. Most of our tenants are from families that have tended this land for as many generations as my father's family has held it. Unfortunately my mother is not much inclined to visit them--even for happy occasions like weddings and births--and Mama is certainly ill suited for the sickroom."

Seeing that Darcy seemed sincerely interested, Elizabeth continued, "Jane and I, however, grew up calling on the families with Papa. Jane is wonderful with the children and everyone loves to have Jane come to visit, but she is so very sympathetic that she becomes--overwhelmed when witnessing another's suffering. Jane could not possibly assist me as you did today. When I realized how often our people were ignoring a small injury or lesser illness because they did not think it serious enough to send for Mr. Jones, I began to read anything I could find on related subjects. I started out making simple remedies for colds and sore throats, and people said it helped them so I continued studying. Once Mr. Jones realized what I was about, he began taking me along whenever he was called to a Longbourn family. Now everyone comes to me for most of their ailments."

Darcy was speechless in his admiration, but Elizabeth interpreted his silence as disapproval.

"I realize this is not the sort of behavior you are used to in young women of your acquaintance," she continued stiffly.

"No, I cannot imagine any other woman I know doing what you did today," Darcy agreed with a smile.

Elizabeth was not looking at him and so missed his smile and the warmth in his eyes. Having endured her mother's constant laments that no man would want a woman who sought out the ill and injured, Elizabeth completely misunderstood Darcy and took offense.

"I am sorry if I have shocked you, sir, but I am not sorry for what I did today to help Mrs. Clay. Perhaps you should return to your friends now. The footpath will lead you back to the lane."

She angrily reached for her basket, but Darcy refused to relinquish it. When he had Elizabeth's full attention, Darcy placed the basket on the ground and took her hand.

"You have completely misunderstood me, Miss Elizabeth. I agreed that you are uncommon, but that was not meant as an insult to you in any way. You are unlike any woman I have ever known, but the things that set you apart are some of the things I admire most about you. In truth, I was quite impressed today. My admiration for you increases each time we meet."

Elizabeth dropped her eyes as she realized how greatly she had erred. "Please forgive me, Mr. Darcy," she whispered. "I did mistake your meaning and I responded ungraciously. I am afraid that--"

"You need not apologize at all," Darcy interrupted her, "if you will only allow me to see you home."

"Thank you, Mr. Darcy," she murmured. "I would enjoy your company."

They were warmly welcomed at the Allens'. Having already heard a great deal of Mr. Darcy and his horse from young Johnny, Mrs. Allen was very pleased that Elizabeth had brought the gentleman around. Her home was just as neat and inviting as the Clays' had been and Darcy wondered if this were somehow Elizabeth's influence as she was obviously highly regarded by the families on the estate. If Darcy had been captivated by Elizabeth before, he now found her utterly fascinating. Once the introductions were completed he happily sat back to observe her. Elizabeth was every bit a lady and yet so at ease in a simple farm cottage. She gratefully accepted Mrs. Allen's offer of tea and then turned to give Johnny instructions for making his mother's special tea when she awoke.

"--Now you just be sure your mama has a cup of that tea when she wakes up and another cup at bedtime. It will help her get better, and tell your mama she is not to get that hand wet for at least a week. That means you will have to help with the washing, young man."

"Yes, ma'am, Miss Lizzy," Johnny cried with a smile and was off. He ran home to tend his mother just as fast as his legs could take him.

Satisfied that Mrs. Clay would be in good hands, Elizabeth tried to determine how their hostess faired. She was pleased to see that Mrs. Allen did not appear to be overly tired, but concerned that she might have taken on too much.

"Surely, I could find someone else to take the Clay children for the afternoon, Mrs. Allen--"

"Now you need not worry on my account, Miss Lizzy. I truly am feeling better and the little ones amuse each other for the most part. They will be fine here until their Papa comes to get them this evening." Mrs. Allen turned her attention to Mr. Darcy as she continued, "Miss Lizzy looks out for all of us and I doubt a doctor all the way from London could do as well."

"Yes," Darcy said with a smile, "Johnny has already assured me that everyone at Longbourn would much rather be treated by Miss Lizzy than by Mr. Jones. After seeing her in action, I can understand why."

Mrs. Allen beamed at him. Emboldened by her smile and Elizabeth's obvious embarrassment, Darcy leaned across the table and added in a loud whisper, "Of course, I have never seen a London physician who is half as pretty as your Miss Lizzy either."

"You go on now, Mr. Darcy," Mrs. Allen laughed good-naturedly. "You watch out for this one, Miss Lizzy. He has a silver tongue."

Darcy was surprised by how much he enjoyed their brief visit with Mrs. Allen. When they were saying their goodbyes, she embraced Elizabeth.

"Thank you for what you did today, Miss Lizzy. Clara Clay has been my nearest neighbor all my married life. She will thank you when she is able, but for now I thank you on behalf of Clara and her family."

"I was glad to help, Mrs. Allen. If the little ones tire you out, send word and I will find someone to help."

When they left the Allen cottage, Darcy tied his horse's reins to the handle of the basket. This innovation allowed him to easily manage both with his left hand leaving his right arm free. He offered it to Elizabeth and was very pleased when she accepted it without hesitation. The path by the stream was broad and the surrounding countryside was beautiful. They walked in silence for some time before Darcy dared to broach their earlier misunderstanding.

"I am sorry that I did not make my meaning clear earlier, Miss Elizabeth, when I commented on how unique you are. I meant it as a great compliment."

"Pray, do not trouble yourself over it any further, Mr. Darcy," Elizabeth reassured him. "I only hope you can forgive me for losing my temper. I have endured considerable criticism for my nursing activities and I am afraid that caused me to take offense. I apologize for losing my temper. I must admit that tendency is one of my failings."

"Let us think on it no more," Darcy replied. Then leaning down he whispered in her ear, "While I would hope to never merit your wrath, Miss Elizabeth, I must confess that I found you most attractive with your eyes flashing."


****


When he returned to Netherfield, Darcy was delighted to learn that Caroline Bingley was still keeping to her room. She had not left her bed since fleeing the dining room the previous day. Caroline's self-imposed confinement actually made a pleasant change for the other occupants of Netherfield--with the possible exception of Mrs. Hurst.

Sisterly duty compelled her to check on Caroline from time to time. Thus she was forced to bear the brunt of Caroline's ill humor. Mrs. Hurst made the mistake once of trying to reason with her sister, by pointing out that Darcy had never shown any particular interest in her.

"If Mr. Darcy is not interested in marrying you, Caroline, then why do you care whom he marries? What does it matter whether he should choose Elizabeth Bennet or the daughter of an earl? Either way Mr. Darcy would be married to someone else."

Her pragmatism was not appreciated. Mrs. Hurst did manage to evade the vase Caroline threw at her, but it was a close thing. She did not return to her sister's room for some time.

All the inhabitants of Netherfield were well aware that Caroline was not ill. She was angry. Bingley went so far as to suggest that perhaps Mr. and Mrs. Hurst should return to town and take Caroline with them. Since this suggestion came after the vase incident, it was not well received.

Caroline would have been most displeased to know that while she was brooding over Mr. Darcy, that gentleman scarcely gave her a thought--other than the occasional sigh of gratitude at being spared her company for the day. After his morning, Darcy could think of little else but Elizabeth. The character and determination he had witnessed today only increased his already considerable admiration of the lady. Fortunately, Bingley was not a demanding companion and he did not seem at all offended by Darcy's woolgathering. Although he had spent most of the morning in Elizabeth's company, Darcy could hardly wait for the evening's dinner engagement at Longbourn.

Elizabeth was also looking forward to their next meeting; however, she--who was normally at home in any company--experienced the novelty of being decidedly nervous about the engagement. She kept telling herself it was just a simple dinner, but it was difficult to believe that when everyone else's actions indicated otherwise. Mrs. Bennet in typical fashion was agonizing over every detail of the menu and presentation, but strangely said nothing at all of Mr. Darcy. Such uncharacteristic behavior from her mother was quite unnerving. Elizabeth would have expected her to carry on embarrassingly as Mrs. Bennet was wont to do when any unmarried man paid the slightest attention to one of her daughters. However, Mrs. Bennet remained stubbornly silent regarding Mr. Darcy. The only indication that she recognized Elizabeth as the object of his interest was her insistence that Lizzy go upstairs early and take extra care with her appearance. Elizabeth did not mind for she found herself wanting to look especially nice. In truth, she wanted Mr. Darcy to think her beautiful. Jane who was always sensitive to her sister's feelings followed Elizabeth upstairs.

Offering the silent encouragement of her presence, Jane removed the pins from Elizabeth's hair and began to brush it. It had long been a bedtime ritual between them and Jane knew that it would help relieve her sister's fit of nerves.

When Elizabeth seemed more herself Jane began to put her hair back up. "Do not worry, Lizzy. It is obvious Mr. Darcy likes you very much. If his friend had shown so much interest in me, I would be struggling not to think about wedding clothes."

Elizabeth could not help smiling at this. "That is not so, Jane. However, in such a case our mother might be selecting fabric." Her expression grew more serious. "Mama has been strangely silent regarding Mr. Darcy. She has said almost nothing of the matter since her first effusions on the ride home from Meryton. Do you think she fears he does not care for me?"

Seeing her normally confident sister's anxiety, Jane could not help but smile, as she answered, "No, Lizzy, I think Mama believes Mr. Darcy is quite seriously interested in you and she does not know how it happened. It is all quite beyond her comprehension."

Jane patted Elizabeth's shoulder and then walked over to look through her dresses. "Think of it from Mama's perspective, Lizzy. You talked of books, you danced one set and then Mr. Darcy with his reported ten thousand a year all but followed you home.

"Mama cannot understand it, because you did not simper or flirt. You did not flatter Mr. Darcy. You were not even wearing a new dress. You were simply yourself, dear Lizzy. Mama thinks of this as a game with set rules. Mr. Darcy's interest in you has made her doubt that. She is afraid that if she does not understand the rules, she may accidentally ruin everything for you. That is why she is so silent. That is why she is so restrained in front of Mr. Darcy."

Jane's explanation was entirely logical, and Elizabeth sighed with relief. "Oh, Jane, you are such a comfort to me," she said. "I had not thought of it that way. I really do not know what is the matter with me. I feel excited and yet anxious, too, about Mr. Darcy and that is not like me."

"Oh, I do not know, Lizzy," said her sister with a teasing smile. "You have never been in love before. This could be quite normal."

Elizabeth blushed as she protested, "Jane, you must not say such things. I am certainly not in love with Mr. Darcy."

"Perhaps not," Jane willingly agreed, "but if he continues to talk to you the way he did in the garden yesterday, I think you soon will be."

"In the garden?"

"Do not worry, Lizzy," Jane said. "I was not listening and I do not mean to imply there was anything improper about your conversation. However, I could not help but notice that Mr. Darcy was talking to you in a very particular way and that you seemed to enjoy it very much."

With a soft smile, Elizabeth whispered, "I did, Jane. I must confess I did."

Turning to more practical matters, Jane held up a soft blue dress. "What of this, Lizzy? You always look well in it. You could wear my new slippers and I think Mama's pearls would be lovely with this neckline."

By the time Jane was done fussing over her, Elizabeth felt like a princess. "Thank you, Jane. I feel much better. It was silly of me to be so uneasy over a simple dinner."

Jane hugged her and whispered, "No, Lizzy, it was not silly at all, but you do look especially beautiful tonight."

The dinner was excellent. Mrs. Bennet always set a very good table and tonight was no exception. Darcy, however, was oblivious to the meal itself. He only had eyes for Elizabeth. In fact, he found it difficult to carry on a normal conversation. He had come prepared to admire her, but tonight Elizabeth Bennet was the most beautiful creature he had ever beheld. Darcy did not notice her dress or the carefully chosen jewelry. It was rather the way Elizabeth looked at him that caused his chest to ache. Her countenance glowed with happiness.

Darcy's silence caused Elizabeth to fall silent, too, but she was not displeased. All his looks proclaimed his regard for her. With the pair of them content to merely look at one another, it fell to the rest of the Bennets to carry the conversation at dinner. Elizabeth's parents and older sister were quite happy to relieve Mr. Darcy of that burden since it was obvious that the gentleman's silence was caused by his admiration for Elizabeth. The three youngest Bennet girls were rather quiet, having been thoroughly admonished beforehand by both their parents.

When the ladies left the table, Mr. Bennet offered the younger man his best port. "Here you are, son. It looks like you could use it."

Darcy realized that he had practically been gaping at the man's daughter throughout dinner. "I am sorry, Mr. Bennet, if I have been rude this evening. Please be assured of my respect for Miss Elizabeth--"

"Do not trouble yourself to apologize, sir. I am not affronted in the least. I do understand. She takes your breath away, does she not?"

"Yes, sir, she does." Darcy was too surprised to be less than honest with Mr. Bennet. "It almost hurts to look at her and yet I find I cannot look away."

"Well, drink up, son. Then perhaps you will be able to talk to my daughter."

Darcy was not used to such openness. In fact, he could only think of three people he had trusted implicitly since the death of his father: his sister Georgiana, his cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam and Bingley. Yet, Darcy found himself trusting Mr. Bennet just as he had instinctively trusted Elizabeth. Most people of his acquaintance had hidden schemes and motives. You had to be on guard because what they said was often not what they meant. Darcy was confident that sort of deceit would never even occur to Elizabeth or her father. He could not have explained how he knew that, but he was certain nevertheless.

Darcy suddenly realized he felt comfortable again. "Thank you, sir, for the drink and the talk. I think I am ready to rejoin the ladies."

Upon entering the drawing room, Darcy did not hesitate but made straight for Elizabeth. She gave him a ready smile and he took the seat beside her. Determined that he would speak to her, Darcy made some inane comment about the weather, which Elizabeth answered politely. The rest of the family conversed around them, allowing them a modicum of privacy.

Realizing that everyone was determinedly not listening to them, Darcy grew bolder. He quietly spoke what was uppermost on his mind.

"I am sorry if I neglected you at dinner, Miss Elizabeth. I arrived most anxious to talk with you and yet when I saw how beautiful you looked I found myself speechless."

Elizabeth blushed, but managed to reply. "Thank you for the compliment, sir. I hope you were able to enjoy your dinner."

"I honestly do not even remember what we had," Darcy whispered, "but please do not tell your mother. I would not want to offend her."

Elizabeth laughed at that and the awkwardness between them soon dissipated. Their conversation turned to poetry and the current renaissance of the art form. Sometime later Darcy's glance happened upon the pianoforte in the corner of the room. "Do you play, Miss Elizabeth?"

"I play a little, Mr. Darcy," she replied, "but certainly not very well. Surely you are accustomed to musicians of the highest caliber."

"I think you are laboring under a misconception of me, Miss Elizabeth. Of course, I enjoy a fine performance by well-trained professional musicians. However, that does not preclude my enjoying the informal performances of my family and friends in a small family party such as this. They are two very different types of performances and I judge them accordingly."

He smiled at her hopefully. "Would you please oblige me, Miss Elizabeth? I would dearly love to hear you play."

"Please, sir, I would not have you expect too much, but I will play if it meets with my family's approval." Raising her voice slightly, Elizabeth addressed her mother, "Mama, Mr. Darcy has expressed the desire for music. Would you mind if I played something for him?"

"Not at all, child. I am sure we would all enjoy some music."

To Elizabeth's surprise, Darcy rose and followed her to the instrument. "May I offer to turn the pages for you, Miss Elizabeth?"

Elizabeth had thought to play something from memory, but Darcy looked so keen that she had not the heart to refuse him. Fearing that the gentleman's nearness might prove to be very distracting, Elizabeth chose a score she knew well. She elected to sing and accompany herself, as her singing had often been praised and Elizabeth considered her performance on the pianoforte to be merely average.

Darcy was predisposed to be pleased by Elizabeth's performance, but it far exceeded his expectations. Her voice was sweet and clear and her music seemed to be an extension of Elizabeth herself. It flowed from her quite naturally, with simplicity and great feeling.

When Elizabeth's song was ended, Darcy took her hand, ostensibly to help her from her seat and murmured, "Thank you, Miss Elizabeth. I enjoyed that immensely."

Elizabeth knew that her sister Mary would be anxious to follow her at the instrument. Unfortunately, Mary had a marked tendency to choose music that was far beyond her abilities. To prevent an embarrassing display, Elizabeth sweetly asked, "Mary, would you perhaps play the Chopin for us? It is a particular favorite."

Highly gratified by the request, Mary hastened to oblige her sister. She did, in fact, play the Chopin rather well, or at least well enough. It hardly mattered, as Darcy was not truly listening. Under the cover of the music he whispered, "Your song was almost as beautiful as you are, Miss Elizabeth."

"This is too much flattery, sir," she whispered back.

Undaunted, he replied, "It is not flattery at all. I speak only truth. You are the most captivating woman of my acquaintance, and I am truly your captive, my dearest Miss Elizabeth."

Seeing her hand resting lightly on the sofa between them, Darcy was unable to resist. He placed his hand atop hers as if by accident. However, he allowed it to linger just a moment, so that Elizabeth would realize he had done it purposefully. He even allowed himself to lightly press her hand with his own before he removed it. Darcy was pleased to note that Elizabeth seemed to hold her breath when their hands touched. Yet, she did not seem displeased in the least.

Darcy thought a day spent in Hertfordshire without seeing Elizabeth would be unbearable. Eager to spend time with her, he asked Mrs. Bennet for permission to call upon them the following morning. She assured him they had no particular plans and that he would be most welcome. Realizing it was time for him to return to Netherfield, Darcy warmly thanked all the Bennets for their hospitality and then turned to bid Elizabeth a more personal goodnight.

He kissed her hand as propriety allowed and gently squeezed her fingers as he released them. "Thank you again for the beautiful song, Miss Elizabeth. It was truly lovely."

Elizabeth was acutely aware that her entire family was watching them, but she managed to smile at him shyly. "You are most welcome, Mr. Darcy. It was my pleasure to sing for you."

"Goodnight, Miss Elizabeth. I shall see you tomorrow."

"I shall look forward to it, sir."

Mr. Bennet walked their guest out. Elizabeth was afraid her mother would burst into audible raptures before Mr. Darcy was out of the house. However, Mrs. Bennet surprised her once again by gesturing to the girls to be quiet. Not a word was said until Mr. Bennet's return assured them that Mr. Darcy was indeed gone.

Mrs. Bennet who could contain herself no longer began to gush, "Oh, Lizzy, you looked so pretty tonight and Mr. Darcy was so attentive. He is quite the gentleman, is he not girls? I want no nonsense from you younger girls about soldiers and such. Mr. Darcy is a true gentleman and that is what you want in a husband. Remember that."

The younger girls all nodded dutifully. Mary and Kitty took her words to heart, but Lydia simply agreed in the hopes that it would end their mother's admonitions.

Surprisingly, Mr. Bennet voiced his agreement with his wife. "Listen to your mother, girls, for she is right in this case. It is easy when you are young and silly to be swayed by a man's looks or his uniform, but character is what counts. Mr. Darcy is rich to be sure, but your mother is correct in saying he is a true gentleman. A real gentleman will not trifle with a woman's affections or treat his wife unkindly. This is most important, for looks will change over time, but character rarely does. Mr. Darcy likes our Lizzy here. That speaks well of him. He has also made his intentions known in an honorable way and is spending time with all of us with a desire to know her better. This shows his respect for Lizzy and her family."

Finally unable to hold her piece, Lydia said, "But, Papa, it all seems so boring. Mr. Darcy just stares at her and kisses her hand when he leaves. I want my life to be more exciting."

Staring at his youngest in obvious displeasure, Mr. Bennet said, "I think you have just proven that you are too young to be fully out in company yet, Lydia. Those proper attentions are quite exciting when they come from the right person. Am I right, Lizzy?"

Elizabeth could not help blushing, but she knew her father was trying to make a very important point with Lydia. "Yes, Papa, I find Mr. Darcy's attentions very pleasing."

Lydia looked at her sister with some interest. "But is it romantic, Lizzy? It does not seem so. It all seems so tame."

Elizabeth firmly held her youngest sister's gaze as she said, "Yes, Lydia, it is very exciting. I now understand the reasons for so many of propriety's demands. The simplest touch or look can be quite overwhelming when accompanied by true feeling. Without careful adherence to many of those regulations that can seem so silly, it would be far too easy to be swept away before one realized it."

Everyone remained very still, uncertain of how to respond to Elizabeth's honesty. Mrs. Bennet was looking at her second daughter as if she had never seen her before.

Mr. Bennet finally broke the silence. "Thank you, Lizzy. I have never been prouder of you. I realize that it is very uncomfortable to speak of such private things, but you have done your sisters a great service tonight. I hope they will take your words to heart."

Turning to his wife, Mr. Bennet continued, "Mrs. Bennet, do you not think we have five very fine daughters?"

Mrs. Bennet managed a reply as she continued to stare at Elizabeth in what seemed to be amazement. "Oh, yes, Mr. Bennet. I am proud of all our girls."

Finally moving her gaze from Elizabeth, Mrs. Bennet addressed her daughters in general, "Now it is time you went up to bed, my dears. Go along, girls. Your father and I will be up directly."

After the girls were gone, Mr. Bennet looked at his wife with compassion in his eyes, "I think you begin to understand what I mean about Lizzy's uncommon intelligence now, Mrs. Bennet."

"Oh, yes, Mr. Bennet. Why the way she explained things to her sisters was amazing, and she spoke so collectedly. She said it so well. That was exactly what I have wanted them to understand. I have talked to the girls so often about propriety and the importance of being careful--but Lizzy, she said what I wanted to say, but never could. I do not think I have ever understood Lizzy, but you are right, my dear Mr. Bennet. There is something special about her."

Mrs. Bennet paused obviously deep in thought. As it was extremely rare for Mrs. Bennet to think before speaking, Mr. Bennet found himself curious to know what she would say. What she finally uttered could not have surprised her husband any more if it had been said in perfect Greek.

"I wonder, Mr. Bennet, we do not know Mr. Darcy all that well. Do you think he is good enough for Lizzy? She must marry someone who will appreciate her."

Smiling, Mr. Bennet reached over to pat her hand, "Yes, Mrs. Bennet, I think Mr. Darcy might be good enough for her. He has impressed me with his integrity and his obvious respect and admiration of Elizabeth. Of course, in the end it will be up to them."

Mr. Bennet stood and offered her his arm. They were half way up the stairs when Mrs. Bennet recalled his earlier comment to Lydia.

"Mr. Bennet, did you mean it when you said poor Lydia was too young to be out?"

"Yes, Mrs. Bennet, I did. Lydia is more boisterous than our other girls. She is also less mature than the others were at her age."

"Oh, but Mr. Bennet, she will be so disappointed."

"I realize that, but we must be certain that she is ready to conduct herself as an adult and as a lady before we allow Lydia such liberty," Mr. Bennet insisted. "As it is, she has only attended one assembly and some small parties of neighbors. Lydia will still be allowed to participate in our family parties, but no more dances, until she is ready. I want all of our girls to attract the attention of gentlemen we can be proud to call our sons, Mrs. Bennet."

With her thoughts happily diverted to their daughters' eventual marriages, Mrs. Bennet was willing to defer to Mr. Bennet's decision--at least for the moment. "Well, if you are certain, Mr. Bennet. I am so glad you like Mr. Darcy. I do, too. I wonder if his friend Bingley might do for our Jane. Did you know that he danced with Jane twice at the Assembly?"

"Yes, I do recall that, my dear," Mr. Bennet answered. He allowed her to prattle on for some time, happy that Mrs. Bennet had not protested too much about Lydia.

  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

Thank you to Aaran for always encouraging me.