Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines

Reviews

Tink Cook posted a comment on Tuesday 13th November 2007 3:54am

Now I really can't wait for the next post! What a place to leave us!

I really love this story and will wait "impatiently" for the next post!

Thanks again for such a wonderful story.

Sandra Leonie posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 8:21pm

Pamela,

What an excellent chapter.

Lovely to see Darcy & Elizabeth together.

Good to see Mrs B keeping her mouth shut for once and her sister being the embarrassment.

So, Caroline finally gets her comeupance - love to see her quivering in fear at the possibility that Darcy will cut her.....

I await the arrival of you know who - from Kent........

Will Cousin Anne come to the wedding??????

Tarkas posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 6:07pm

I must agree with the previous reviewer: Caro-bashing is almost always highly amusing, and so it proves to be in this chapter. Of course, an animal is never more dangerous than when it is wounded and trapped, and Miss Bingley is likely to feel both when informed of her exile to Ireland (if she doesn't already), so the possibility of her doing more mischief (or at least throwing a temper tantrum of epic proportions) should not be discounted. And she really has no idea about Darcy's character, does she? Her perception of him is as superficial as everything else about her, and shows that she, the close confidante of the Darcy family (according to her, anyway ;-)), can't see past the façade that he presents to the world.

Elsewhere in the Bingley family, though, it was very good to see the Hursts asserting themselves -- both Louisa and Mr Hurst. The latter gentleman appears to have more brains and backbone than is commonly thought, and far more claim to truly being a gentleman than his sister-in-law has ever had to being a lady, and his wife may be well on the way to lifting her manners and behaviour to a like standard. I hope this resurgence of character for the Hursts will continue.

Meanwhile, at Longbourne... It's the mark of a good writer and a good piece of writing that the reader can become so involved with it that he or she can imagine themselves involved in the scene, and so it was for Lizzy and Darcy's walk in the gardens. When Darcy reassured Lizzy of his regard, I felt rather frustrated that the repressive mores of the times (not to forget the watchful eye of Mr Bennet) prevented Darcy from doing anything more than (relatively) chastely kissing her hand -- though he was a little daring, and good for him; what Lizzy needed just then was a good hug! Very good writing.

Christina C. Keimig posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 1:44pm

Excellent chapter. Oh, it's so nice to see Caroline Bingley get what's coming to her!

lucyjay posted a comment on Thursday 8th November 2007 2:01pm

That was a lovely chapter! Romantic & responsible...that's our Darcy. I hope Caroline enjoys the wedding. Thanks for posting. I am really enjoying this sweet story.

Verity posted a comment on Tuesday 6th November 2007 2:25am

Dear Mrs. St Vines,
I can't tell you how much I love the stories you write. I have been particularly waiting for the next chapter of this story and it was wonderful. Truth be told I have never written any review after years of reading fan fiction--so this is a first for me. Happily Ever After is amazing. I love the way your Darcy and Elizabeth love eachother (in all your stories)--yay, stories without angst! Anyway, thanks for hours of pleasure your writing has provided. Please don't stop!
Verity

Anette W posted a comment on Thursday 1st November 2007 10:10am

Dear Pamela,
It was such a great gift to suddenly find this website and read your wonderful stories - they are all so sweet and so well written, it's pure joy! I especially like this story - I like a Darcy who knows what he wants, and goes for it without all the angst. And your Darcy is so charming and yes - romantic *sigh*

Thank you - and please post again soon!

Laura posted a comment on Thursday 1st November 2007 6:32am

Finding an update on one of your stories puts a smile on my face! Especially so for this story - it is so sweet and fun. Darcy is so lighthearted and his manners are so smooth - it makes me wonder what is wrong with him. lol.

Could you enlighten us about your use of a 'special license' for marriage? My understanding is that Darcy would not qualify for an actual special license, despite Mrs Bennet's wishes, and also that a license was not a faster route to the altar. Perhaps you are using 'special' in a different manner?

I can happily suspend my impression of the rules and enjoy any story that gets Darcy and Lizzy married sooner. :D

Aaran St Vines replied:

According to my reading there were three means of legal marriage in England at this time: the reading of the Banns on 3 consecutive Sundays followed by a formalization ceremony, a Common or Ordinary License and a Special License. The Ordinary License waived the waiting period imposed by the Banns but required that the ceremony take place in the parish where at least one of the parties resided. Only a Special License granted the couple the right to marry at any time or place. A Special License was expensive (4 pounds vs. 10 shillings in 1808) and had to be obtained from the Archbishop of Canterbury or his representative. Mrs. Bennet was thrilled with the thought of a Special License because it was a symbol of wealth. That means little to Darcy in this story. In his eagerness to secure Elizabeth as his bride, Darcy chooses to obtain a Special License to make certain there will be no delays. I'm not aware of any restrictions that would have barred Darcy from obtaining a Special License, but I'm always interested if you can recommend a good source of information on the customs of this period. Thank you for taking the time to read and review. Pamela

Tink posted a comment on Monday 29th October 2007 1:49am

Another wonderful chapter!

I hope Caroline is put in her place by the Earl and his wife, too! I am always happy when Caroline gets brought down a notch or two.

Can't wait for more!

Sandra Leonie posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 8:02pm

Pamela,

Thank you for posting another chapter in this great story.

I look forward to meeting Lord & Lady Carlisle, but I do worry that Caroline will try something to spoil D&E's happy event.

Ishi posted a comment on Sunday 28th October 2007 2:12pm

I love your depictions of the characters, as I'm sure I've told you before. Also, "When Kitty learned that she and Georgiana were the same age, she expressed an eagerness to learn more about Mr. Darcy's sister, too." — I especially love this line, because I read quite recently in a book that Kitty weds a clergyman who lives near the Darcy estate. It was in a book called The Jane Austen Book Club, have you heard of it?

Kinsfire posted a comment on Tuesday 28th August 2007 3:50am

Amazing how one small change can so drastically alter later events...one thinks that Wickham will not likely find a willing ear...

I remain in awe of your talent.

One small question comes to mind. Is the use of sensible early in the chapter the 20th century meaning, or the one that I THINK was its meaning in Austen's day? (Or am I thinking of an entirely different word that changed meaning?)

Aaran St Vines replied:

Thank you for the kind words. You asked a very good question regarding my use of the word "sensible." It is the type of thing I often obsess over, and it is a very real challenge in writing period stories. I am frequently checking the dictionary to determine the origin of words that might be "too modern," but I still miss one now and then and appreciate my friends keeping me straight. In this particular instance I'm safe as "sensible" is actually used both ways in Austen's novel. It's used to mean "aware of" but it's also used to mean having common sense. My favorite example of that is the discussion of Mr. Collins' letter to Mr. Bennet. Elizabeth asks her father, "Can he be a sensible man, sir?" Anyone who's read the book knows the answer to that is no! Thanks again.

Samantha posted a comment on Monday 20th August 2007 4:29pm

What a lovely chapter. I am looking forward to the next chapter. You manage to maintain the Jane Austins charming style yet inject your own originality without spoiling the overall air of her writing.
The only criticism I have ever had of Austin's writing is that there was far too little of it and your stories manage to fill that void quite nicely.

Louise posted a comment on Friday 17th August 2007 12:48pm

I love pride and prejudice, and finding all your lovely stories was awesome!

They are simply done and read so well - it fits canon perfectly!

Thanks for a great read or three - yes I'm lazy, and I'll only review the once for now!

Louise

Sandra Leonie posted a comment on Tuesday 14th August 2007 4:12pm

I'm still waiting on my email with my login - but I couldn't wait to let you know how much fun you story is.
I love the characters - even Mrs B good grief -did Lizzy slip something in her tea - LOL
Please let me know how often you post chapters .

lucyjay posted a comment on Tuesday 14th August 2007 3:54pm

That was a very lovely and different chapter. So nice to see Mr & Mrs Bennet in agreement. Keeping Lydia out of trouble might be nice for a change!

Christina C. Keimig posted a comment on Saturday 11th August 2007 6:03am

Wonderful chapter! Do I scent a declaration coming quite soon???

Oh, one nit, btw: "After all he himself had often complained that Elizabeth's younger sisters were far too silly over boys." Mr. Bennet would never use 'boys' if speaking of young men rather than children...

Aaran St Vines replied:

Thanks for the good catch. The "boys" are gone. PV

Tink posted a comment on Saturday 11th August 2007 4:23am

Excellent chapter. I get the feeling that you are building up to something but I just haven't figured it out yet.

I love the way that you are concentrating more on the D&E romance instead of the one of Jane and Bingley.

Please don't let Darcy leave her like Bingley did Jane. I also hope Caroline doesn't make a lot of trouble. I have read enough angst in other stories and am not looking forward to anymore.

Send us another chapter soon!!

Ishi posted a comment on Friday 10th August 2007 10:52pm

I love this chapter, I really, really do. It's amazing how you've changed the story, yet kept the characters in tune with how Jane Austen originally wrote them. Please write more soon, I'm on the edge of my seat with impatience (as usual, lol)

lucyjay posted a comment on Thursday 9th August 2007 11:17am

I love thinking of Darcy as a farmer and a shy one at that. He has learned to be very charming. Caroline will be most pu out. Thanks for the fun chapter.