Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines

Reviews

Ivy_Snowe posted a comment on Wednesday 14th February 2007 4:48pm

This was simply amazing. And that's all that I can say. Cheers.

~Ivy

Patches posted a comment on Tuesday 30th January 2007 6:12pm

This is a really interesting story. Thanks for writing it. I'll review as I go along. pms

Aaran St Vines replied:

Patches - Thanks for starting "382 BC." It is my most original work, and I am most proud of it. A number of people drop off in the first few chapters because it drags a little while Willen and Eirran stumble towards the basis of magic as it's known in the PotterVerse. It has to be discovered hit ot miss, groped towards, to be realistic. By the time they leave prison it will begin to be more exciting. Those few that stick with my tale up to the first dragon incident, generally finish it and rant and rave about how much they enjoy it. I hope you can stay the course. Thanks for reading and reviewing all of my works! Cheers!

Nathan posted a comment on Thursday 25th January 2007 5:49am

I just finished reading the entire history of magic stories. I've never been one to review much but I had to let you know that I loved it and I don't think anyone could have possibly done a better job. Thank you very much for such a fine story and I await the next posting of the Granger Defense with great delight.

Nathan

Dale Dietzman posted a comment on Thursday 23rd November 2006 11:34am

Yes,

The story is aat least A defnitive history of the beginning of Magic, if not THE definitive history...of course until another one is wrtten...

And yes, there is definitely something reminiscent of The Princess Bride in the tone and manner of the story telling, although I can't quantify it any better than that for you. I was struck by the similarity even before I read the other reviews.

KenF posted a comment on Saturday 28th October 2006 8:24am

Cool story. I wonder if Harry is descended from those same Potters. Thanks for sharing this tale with us.

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Thursday 26th October 2006 11:10am

A most thorough history and wrap-up. Now, what would Mr. Potter find to do with WIllem's wand? *snicker* It wouldn't be a brother wand to any currently being used and I can see that being a nasty surprise for a certain Dark Lord.

Thank you for an enjoyable history.

schmanski posted a comment on Tuesday 5th September 2006 8:04pm

great story.

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Friday 25th August 2006 8:05am

I'd been trying to add up the dead and the body parts and couldn't see where the child came in. I was unsurprised but rather saddened to read who died. There are so many pieces of this I adored that to list them all would take a review almost as long as the chapter. Know that I loved this story. Was the name Jamin Potter chosen deliberately for being close to James Potter? Caedric coming right in the end was wonderful and the battle scene was thrilling. Willen's Luck was apparently good after all. You even made Ollivander a likeable character - something I didn't know could be done.

A further note, and I mean this seriously: remove the Harry Potter references and attempt to publish this as a work of historical fantasy fiction outside Rowling's excellent universe. A few injokes may be lost but the overall story structure is too good to leave it lingering in relative fanfic obscurity. There are too many clever ideas for this not to work as a novel and it's better written than a lot of the fiction I've bought, read and sold in my days as a bookshop worker.

I hope you keep writing, HP or original, and I definitely look forward to reading the other stories you have here. Thank you for a wonderful read. It's been a pleasure.

Finally: lol at the kid naming wands in baby-talk when the rest of them failed.

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Friday 25th August 2006 2:37am

I was thrilled by the use of the phoenix Pholx for Fawkes. Excellent chapter as always. This is superb. Willen's Wisdom & the olive-hand or wood-hand (as I suspect it will become soon) are wonderful ideas.

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Friday 25th August 2006 1:26am

Smith never becoming a popular name was hilarious. Celts don't surrender is a completely true statement. They may get beaten, they may be defeated, but they do not surrender. "Foolish heroics are all mine" and your introduction of the phoenix was superb. He was right to fear Willen's luck. The picture is good too. Line I loved most though was "say it like you're speaking to an older brother that you love dearly".

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Friday 25th August 2006 12:33am

Mr Ollivander's stand against Grindelwald and later Moldieshorts & the Death Munchers was great. I'm fascinated by the level of detail you put into the lives of those who live in Loudon towne. The way you write about their various past times and professions, including all the detail about how bows came to be made, was brilliant.

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Thursday 24th August 2006 9:09pm

Sniffed my way through the death of the twins - I was particularly fond of them after the first died. Then giggled my way through the meeting with the veela and the unicorn. Love the way you're developing this story.

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Thursday 24th August 2006 5:24pm

I think the thing I love most about this story is the use of words - Potter, Magik, Dia-Gon, Olive-Hander and all the rest. The ideas are wonderful but it's the way you twist things so that before you see it coming it all suddenly slides into place and the world is recognisable again. Hair of seer making one of the first wands is also an intriguing idea.

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Thursday 24th August 2006 5:36am

The Potter pun entertained me so much. I especially liked them being too brave for their own good. You've made Willen & his luck into a likeable, interesting character. "Baldet felt bad about nearly killing a fellow dog lover. He decided to show Willen some mercy and ordered him sent him to the dungeon for the rest of his life instead." was a particulary good bit.

Kokolomiku posted a comment on Tuesday 11th July 2006 2:29pm

Haha. This is a really good fic. Wow. I am very impressed by your creativity and storytelling skills. I am really looking forward to reading hte next chapter.

frances posted a comment on Tuesday 25th April 2006 5:57am

This is a fantastic story that I would never have thought would be written but you managed to give a wonderfully believable tale about the discovery of magic. It was facinating to read.

Graup posted a comment on Monday 17th April 2006 11:11am

Very much enjoyed the chapter. Too bad it ended so poorly.

I am sure at some point, Willen will find that Pholks will be able to carry him to destinations. I imagine he will heave a heavy sigh at the realization that he could have been with Constantia much earlier had he known this little fact.

Graup posted a comment on Sunday 16th April 2006 6:55am

Again, your writing is excellent, and the story is captivating.

It sounds like Willen's dungeon time is coming to an end, and he will soon be heading home.

I look forward to taking that journey with him.

Thanks for the accuracy and research you have done with this story.

You certainly have a gift for storytelling.

Graup posted a comment on Sunday 16th April 2006 5:49am

Fantastic first chapter to this story. I really like Willen, and the people of Loudon. It is great to see that they were able to come together, and look for solutions to their problems.

Although that is not unique to those people, my guess is that kind of courage was as rare in that day as it is today.

Harry faces those kinds of challenges as did Willen. And, to be blunt, we all face those challenges in our current day as well.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Graup posted a comment on Sunday 16th April 2006 5:29am

I haven't finished chapter 1 yet. However, I noticed you have removed chap.1 from the chapter area.

Can you check on that?

Thanks.

PS. To this point, the story is brilliant! I will leave another review when I have completed the chapter.