Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines

Reviews

Brigrove posted a comment on Tuesday 10th March 2009 9:14am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

I agree with your beta - the main story far better without the lengthy biographical details.

The highlight of this chapter for me was the emotional letter from Molly

Rowan Mikaio posted a comment on Thursday 1st May 2008 6:41pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

jsyk, you mixed them up. I'm pretty sure it's Benjy Fenwick and Dorcas Meadowes, not the other way around. Not that it's really important in the long run.

James Barber posted a comment on Tuesday 22nd May 2007 1:22pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Hey you sent me an email saying that chapter 16 of this story was here (that you had taken it down for a moment) well its not here!

Infin1x posted a comment on Friday 18th May 2007 12:29pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Okay so this chapter is far from concise or action packed but both the cut version and the addendum were done excellently and as a nerd and history buff I thought they were both very well done and interesting. I have always wondered about the history of the names in HP and this is the best explanation I have ever seen. Any chance of the Weasleys getting their votes back? Maybe HArry getting Hagrid's vote. Your system of goverment here is going to provide tons of material in the future of this story.

fountaam posted a comment on Wednesday 16th May 2007 6:20pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Interesting.

shadowtrey posted a comment on Wednesday 2nd May 2007 8:59am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Allow me to start off first with a very simple statement. Ahem...

Woaaaaah, totally tubular, dude!

*cough*

Moving right along now, I started reading this story last night, seeing as it's one of the few stories that I've actually never picked up from this site. Well, that and I'm an avid HHr reader, too. Probably one of the reasons why I'm not exactly partial to the way JKR's doing things, or to your "Great Scott, Potter, This is War!" version of the Paladin story. But that's beside the case.

This is good. I mean, it falls into a group of about twenty stories that I've either printed and distributed for my internet-less friends to have (how they've managed to survive, I have no clue, lol), or are planning on doing so.

I've only one question for you--well, two, actually. The first is straightforward: Can you share your love of history with a fellow history lover by telling me where you gather your information from? The second question is actually more a demand than anything, but take it as you wish. Would you please, please, please, please, PLEASE write more history into your following chapters? I'm enjoying this immensely.

Then again, that could be just because I've always enjoyed reading about history and the differences between faith and belief and science and magic. (I could get into an hour long debate about Christianity, Magic, Wicca, and Witchcraft, but that's neither here, nor now.)

I could keep going, but I think I'd rather not test the coding ability of whoever designed this site by posting practically a book in this review.

Best of luck, and if you need another beta'er, I can at least give you a more North Florida Country Boy perspective to things. Not that you really need it, but... yeah...

*grin* Can't wait to see what you pull out, next.

~Trey

Prince Charon posted a comment on Wednesday 2nd May 2007 1:52am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Very interesting.

On the origin of 'Dumbledore', I'm pretty sure its an old word for bumblebee, but I suppose that Mis-TAH Smith might not know that.

Thank you for updating.

More soon, please.

atlantis-rob posted a comment on Monday 30th April 2007 9:36pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Excellent job with all the history in the main bit and then the expansion at the end. Nice. Good job with how harry handled hsi trip around the alley and then dealing with the jerk from the minitry. Keep up the greatwork, Cheers!!!

pattersonbj posted a comment on Monday 30th April 2007 1:41pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Hello, Aaran.

You should put the "addendum" back into the main story. It adds depth to the story, and, I'm sure, will make the later chapters clearer. Besides, it was an interesting read.

warpwizard posted a comment on Monday 30th April 2007 9:45am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Good stuff, nice meaty chapter. Interesting historical information too.

Dorothy McComb posted a comment on Monday 30th April 2007 7:34am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Very nice. Very complex and well thought out. I'm looking forward to a little less talk and more action, but I know why this sort of thing is necessary. I'm also looking forward to Harry finally getting a chance to explain things to Hermione about spell mongering.

Just one little canon nitpick: you wrote "The Meadowes family line ended when Benjy died on a mission with your father during the first Voldemort war. So also died out the Fenwicks with the death of Dorcas." It was Benjy Fenwick and Dorcas Meadowes, not the other way around.

DrT posted a comment on Monday 30th April 2007 6:43am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Well, I found the chapter interesting, at least! Much more complicated, but equally believable, than the system I used in a few stories.

"T"

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Monday 30th April 2007 5:48am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

An interesting chapter that contains some interesting and enjoyable scenes (Molly's letter didn't hurt, either). This reader rather enjoyed the extended version though I can see where some might not. I can name a couple best-selling f&sf authors with history major backgrounds (David Weber, Eric Flint, and Harry Turtledove immediately come to mind) and they generally do a pretty fair job of managing the "info dumps" required by the story; your extended version didn't do at all badly in that regard, either. I presume that some of this info will be pertinent at a later date in the story.

thewisesirivanthes posted a comment on Monday 30th April 2007 5:27am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

I can understand the bizarreness of people not being interested in the history you create for your stories. I am an AP US History student and I love history. I for one am immeasurably happy that you write such detailed background information like you do. It gives your stories a depth that is not oft seen these days.

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Monday 30th April 2007 4:21am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Very good chapter.

gunny

Wonderbee31 posted a comment on Monday 30th April 2007 3:02am for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Looks like jerks are jerks and hoodlums are hoodlums all over the place. Will be interesting to see how Harry handles this problem, and to see what he does with it might help him out in the wizarding world better, as well as how it will be used against him as well.

Crys posted a comment on Sunday 29th April 2007 11:00pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

> you can catch more pixies with sweet sap than with owl bile
*laugh* I like this rephrasing of an old standard.

Hell of a history & name lesson name lesson you're dumping on us.

Hmm. Harry and Zack Smith need to have a discussion. And they'll be allies, eventually, it seems.

Jenkins . . . Um, when he draws and Harry backs him up, what happened to the lemonade?

Oh, and that underhanded monopoly? Sad as it sounds, it's perfectly believable.

Still a lot of dangling threads hanging around out there. Not to mention you created a couple more with this chapter.

Addendum: Harry has a lot of his family back history and property he needs to investigate. No secret, that, but you're still building this monster up, and it's going to turn into an epic at this rate. I certainly hope it does :)

Quizer posted a comment on Sunday 29th April 2007 10:53pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Great chapter! Your love of history is obvious in this chapter's events, and you do make it come alive like few people are able to. I'm happy you put the Addendum there.

The scene with Tattershall was great. I love how you show Harry trying Smith's advice and then he can't help but go back to who he is. Extraordinarily well done!

I also liked the scene with Clarinda and the M.I.D.. This should be very interesting, and I can't wait to see how that situation will develop.


Keep up the good work! Till the next chapter!#


Quizer

Tanydwr posted a comment on Sunday 29th April 2007 9:52pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

Brilliant chapter. I love Political!Harry. And the history you've put into this - not to mention the work - is incredible.
One observation though. You mention Benjy as the last of the Meadowes and Dorcas as the last of the Fenwicks. It is the other way around - Dorcas Meadowes and Benjy Fenwicks. Not a huge mistake, but a niggly one for me.
So is Harry going to find a way to reduce Umbridge's votes? Certainly the way her family seems to have achieved the Weasley ones is circumspect. And what about Hagrid's? There's no way on Earth Hagrid or his father would want to aid the Malfoys! And since those votes cannot be used by the Malfoys themselves, and the vote was gained in suspicious circumstances...
Keep up the awesome work, I can't wait to read more, these stories are so good!
Lol, Tanydwr

kain posted a comment on Sunday 29th April 2007 9:36pm for Chapter Fifteen - The Three-Thirty-Three Families

great chapter as usual, love the interaction between harry and the guy from the cloth company.

keep up the great work :)