Content Harry Potter Jane Austen by Pamela St Vines

Reviews

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Sunday 9th December 2007 12:24pm

"That's a skill I've never wanted to acquire."

Now, -that- is a classic understatement if I ever heard one. You've got an excellent political chapter here and it's fascinating to watch how often attacks on Harry and his supporters/associates backfire on those who attack him. The ability of the Minister/Dawlish to be able to arrive quickly at Deeter attacks does raise a few questions. I reckon a formal investigation is going to find some interesting skeletons (has anyone checked Dawlish's arm lately?).

Good stuff that's well worth the wait.

warpwizard posted a comment on Sunday 9th December 2007 11:20am

Good stuff. I need more action and excitement! Not that this didn't contain plenty, I just want MOAR! :)

Looking forward to see Harry's many simultaneous gambits roll forward. Chaos!

James Barber posted a comment on Sunday 9th December 2007 7:18am

Excellent update, love the wizengamot scene and the fight at the old toad? was really cool, but I'm confused didnt he already fix his eyes or more than likely I'm just confusing this with other stories I have read!

Meg posted a comment on Sunday 9th December 2007 6:34am

As usual, so much in this chapter!!!

I really love Harry's time with the Wizengamot. And everything that ties in with your History of Magic. :)

I don't think I've ever read a story where Andi Tonks is also a lawyer.

Very enjoyable chapter. Like always, I'm looking forward to more.

Thanks,

Meg

Wonderbee31 posted a comment on Sunday 9th December 2007 5:39am

Wow, this story continues to draw me in, and makes me wish that this intrigue and mystery had been available in canon. You've got a Harry willing and ready to fight for his friends, the wizarding world that deserves it, imo, and agaist the old guard unwilling or unable to give up their old bigotry. I'm definitely keeping an eye open on the next part of this, Great Scott, and In the Eye, all of which have grabbed me more than the last few canon books did, to my own dissappointment. Looking forward to where you go with things with the Tonks', what the old members that are looking to hook with Harry will do, and Fudge's most spectacular fall from favor.

DrT posted a comment on Sunday 9th December 2007 2:37am

My, your Winengamot is even more complicated than mine! Lovely set of concepts. Well done chapter.

"T"

FenrisWolf posted a comment on Friday 7th December 2007 7:32pm

I will admit I'm not overly fond of some of the religious aspects of your tale, but that has more to do with my own negative experiences with organized religion than any flaw in your work. Indeed, the moments that touch on religion are quite tasteful, neither blatant nor overdone, not do they hammer the reader with attempts at religious conversion. In fact, I found your efforts far more tasteful and believable than JKR's (in my opinion) absurd Christ metaphor at the end of Deathly Hallows, a book that disappointed me on so many levels.

As slow as they are, I hope you continue updating this tale. You have combined many unique elements, as well as the occasional concept lifted from elsewhere (that you always give credit for). Just promise me that, in the eventual epilogue, Harry will not name his and Hermione's son Albus Severus....

Aaran St Vines replied:

Fenris my old pal. Thanks for reading and reviewing. I will name a child of Harry's Raven Satan before I'll name him Albus Severus. If there was nothing else to dislike about DH (and there was plenty) that name alone makes me wonder where the person that wrote the first five books went to.

Millie Johanson posted a comment on Friday 30th November 2007 6:40pm

The Granger Defense
Great Scott this is war

I am reading the second one as I am a H&G fan but you keep referring to TGD is this going to be simular but with H&Hr?
my email is

2emillie@comcast.net
Good luck and I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Miss Millie

brad posted a comment on Sunday 18th November 2007 2:02am

Heh. Nice note on which to finish. :-)

Entertaining chapter, although I think it went rather long on the pedagogy, which tends to be rather dry after a while. Where is the death eater action and Harry dropping boulders on their heads when you need them? :-)

Still, a nice illustration of of the 'power efficiency' of mongered spells. And Harry's aim to empower everyday wizards and witches is a noble cause.

"pin-up girl for Ravenclaw" - heh! Glad you're continuing to work on this story.

kainboa posted a comment on Wednesday 14th November 2007 4:04am

great chapter as usual, love how harry explains the mongering to hermione.

keep up the great work :)

GryffindorDragon posted a comment on Monday 12th November 2007 5:16am

Great chapter.

The Favorites Tracker posted a comment on Saturday 10th November 2007 6:30am

Hi.

FYI: The following paragraph is repeated twice:

Finally the elder wizard spoke. "Harry, could I ask you to expand your efforts with the Defense Association on a more formal basis this coming year? It will be demanding, but I believe I can make it possible for you to help many more people than you were able to last year. You will need a more official recognition of your efforts at the very least. What do you say, Harry?"

-Jeff

Mesterio posted a comment on Thursday 8th November 2007 7:30pm

I absolutely loved all of your chapters. I couldn't stop reading, it was that good. I found the whole concept of Harry's Mongering to be simply "brilliant" as other characters so often stated after Harry got past the first bad impressions. I can't wait for the next chapter, and i hope you update soon.

Jimbocous posted a comment on Tuesday 6th November 2007 5:37pm

I'd noticed your comments about religion in Great Scott and didn't respond, but in doing the reread in this one felt compelled to. Anyone who can't see the religious themes inherent in each of the JKR novels totally missed something. I know I was certainly amused by the fundies who railed again the HP-verse some years ago. While I'm certainly not a mainstream Christian, the belief in a higher power is so central to her storyline that any objections to Christian-themed topics in this universe are not only ignorant but ludicrous.
Having said that, I'm not sure what really motivated you to write the same story twice, with two different ships, except to show that you could. Regardless, kudos for an engrossing and enjoyable read so far.

Patches posted a comment on Tuesday 6th November 2007 9:54am

This is really good. I like the way you are bringing Harry and Hermione along. Of course he thinks he can't have a girlfriend until Moldyshorts is gone. It wouldn't be Harry otherwise. I really like the spell mongering Harry is doing. That is really a great idea. I love all your stories and this is one of the best.
For a store title: Clarinda's All Occasion Witch and Wizard wear!
I know it is a little long but it covers everthing! I'll keep my fingers crossed. pms

Jarrod posted a comment on Monday 5th November 2007 2:50am

Sweet, the story with the philosophy discussions in it is back. Honestly the thing I like best is the fact that you are analyzing and expanding on what started as a children's book and have expanded it to be something that is fun to read and makes you think.

A couple of Clarinda's name ideas for you
CCC - Clarinda's Cache of Clothing
CCC - Clarinda's Celestial Clothier

simons_flower posted a comment on Sunday 4th November 2007 7:20pm

I've been a fan of other authors on this site for a while and decided to click on your link one day.

Since then, I've obsessively read this fic. (I tend to read obsessively to begin with, not unlike Hermione.)

I'm loving the detail you've put into this. I really enjoy all more-than-normal Harry fics, but especially ones like this one that bring that super!Harry part out naturally, nurturing it through subsequent chapters.

Can't wait to read more.

Craig St.Onge posted a comment on Sunday 4th November 2007 3:02pm

Well, to leave the review of this almost pains me.
Mostly because I leave reviews once I read up to the current chapter that an author does, meaning I am now having to wait for more!
And that waiting kills me, for I want more of this one.

As for constructive criticism, the only thing I have to mention is a very slight jumping from topic to topic. Nothing really bad, but it might just be my personal preference. Feel free to flame me for that though, I accept it since I am giving the criticism.

I do enjoy your view of Spell Mongering, and have very much taken to that idea. The concept is very good, and makes sense in a very weird, one could almost say magical, way.

And to finish up this review, as a name of the new clothing store, why not settle with something that makes a statement. With most Magical businesses having their family name in there, maybe the name would be something like Clothing by Jordans, or Jordan's Clothing Bazaar, or possibly Jordan's Wardrobe?

Thank you for producing a story which has captivated and enthralled me!


The Phoenix in the Abyss,
Craig

ckstonge@gmail.com

Rick D Gale posted a comment on Friday 2nd November 2007 12:03pm

Great chapter! A good way to get Harry and Hermione closer together and to understand each other better.

I'd love to see Harry put out a spell monger's version of each years spells, charms and transfigurations. The cost of the book would cover the mongering fees. He could even put a special section in each spell to insure they were not used to injury another person or thing - kind of like a trial program, everything is the same as the real thing, but you just can't 'save' your work in the progam.

Well, anyway, I love your work.

I look forward to your next chapter.

Rick

Erik Wiggins posted a comment on Thursday 1st November 2007 11:28am

How absolutely amazing! You truly are in the "Elite Class" of authors. I am truly greatful for your story and can't wait for you to finish. In the meantime, I am going to go back and read all of your other writings. Thank you for the hours of sheer pleasure living in your world!